Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 32 of 45 [ 714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 45  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2016, 5:44 am

Best wishes! Sounds quite exciting. I've read of "UFO abduction" cases where people claim to have been temporarily paralyzed and unable to move, and have but scant recollection of possibly disruptive events...

Of course the "normal" sleep paralysis is much more mundane...and has no place in horror fiction!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 6:28 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Best wishes! Sounds quite exciting. I've read of "UFO abduction" cases where people claim to have been temporarily paralyzed and unable to move, and have but scant recollection of possibly disruptive events...

Of course the "normal" sleep paralysis is much more mundane...and has no place in horror fiction!

Thank you. 8) I only recently became interested in the subject after seeing a couple very scary documentaries on the subject. That, and I've personally had a few experiences with sleep paralysis, though nothing so exceedingly terrifying that people interviewed in those two documentaries recounted, nor do I ever wish to.

CharlotteEstevez
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2016, 5:52 am

I just published my debut-novel "someonesickness". And the male protagonist has Asperger's, as well. :)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

My dream is to meet and interview Denis Istomin and write his life story. He has overcome so many obstacles to make the ATP tennis tour and is a source of inspiration to me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:53 am

A friend and I have recently joined a writers group focusing of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. So far, it's an interesting experience where we get to share our work with each other. Also, there's a member, who I have yet to meet, who has self published on Amazon, and is supposed to tell us how to do it as well. My current literary ambition is to write an anthology of short horror fiction, including stuff I've already written but needs some tightening up.

Big C
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2017, 12:35 pm

You know I write about Racing, Music, and I tried to write about a little Sci-fiction,but when you don't have a big time publisher the struggle can feel like "why I am doing this?" you're doing this because you enjoy writing and you should. I know I've done my research and looked into publisher, but sometimes it does fit you. Sometimes you need to think out of the box and maybe create you're publishing company, but don't stop writing I don't care if it takes you until age 70.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Mar 2017, 12:33 pm

Fantastic! Keep going and thanks for the inspiration to carry on.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Julie Louise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2017, 2:57 am

I don't read much especially not made up stories. Never have. It seems like a waste of time. Quotes, poems and easy to read books that are interesting and true, are fantastic.

QUOTABLE QUOTES

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. LP Hartley

To be able to look back upon one's past life with satisfaction is to live twice. George Burns

I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life. George Burns.

PhoenixJPax
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2017, 5:36 pm

I think why my novel isn't finished yet is because I'm big on plot and structure. Outlining, the whole bit...
Characterization will be a slight challenge as I can't make all the characters just like me. But, I've learned enough through life experience and self teaching that I believe I can characterize with the best of 'em... ;-)

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2017, 6:11 pm

I'm writing a 13-part sci-fi series and go to a group that critiques each others' stories. I've repeatedly been told my characters sound too formal, and recently even had one person say my main character sounds like an android. I think I'm getting better at sounding less robotic but it doesn't come naturally.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:11 pm

I'm kind of a perfectionist so I edit a great deal before I actually leave something alone.

As for planning, I rarely ever outline. I will have little points that I'm writing to reach or overall ideas but there's no way I can plan everything. I love when I'm just writing and the story starts to write itself, and it winds up going in a direction that I never expected. I can't plan that, and the work I'm most proud of is written in spontaneity.

Characterization is very fun for me. Not sure if this has been mentioned. What helps me is to look up "character information sheets" or "character profile sheets" which is like a fact sheet you fill out about your character. Some of them are very in depth and ask about their physical features, health, goals, relationships with others, etc. But it helps you get to know the character and find out how much you do and don't know about them. I try to fill out the whole thing for main characters. I like this one and and this one for in depth character planning, although I've seen some that ask more questions than I can probably answer about myself :lol: There are also shorter, more general sheets.

It was so exciting for me to post this...I'm going to go fill one of these out. :lol: :heart:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 11:49 am

I would post part of my book series on here even though I have many, many times but no one would bother reading or commenting on it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2017, 6:40 pm

I think that it might be a lot of the character interaction that especially drains me while writing, like perhaps how I find it talking to other people, I have to think of their own personalities, their relationship with another character, and how they would logically interact with them. Where I am right now in my main project is where my main four characters are with two other important characters for the next couple of chapters and there is a lot of nuance I want to put between them.

For example, my main character sees herself as quite strong and leader of the other three main characters, although one of two other characters is worried she will get hurt and thinks she meeds protected herself, she hates this, but also has a crush on him but is not aware of it. My story being in the first person I am wanting to play up quirks of my main character that she does not find things creepy as others do, she is brash, but also observant of other, to a degree that is overdone by the first important person, while the second important person she has an unearned dislike of. Without saying these are the facts I am trying to have it come out as just writing of what the narrative hints at, and this chapter (18) is the one where other characters may comment on things that show her as unreliable as a ‘normal’ perspective. I fear she comes across as too bland otherwise, but also don’t want her to be not relatable.

A second main character is very attached to the first, she generally very reserved while balanced with outbursts that go the other way, she will follow the main character, but also see unreasonable behaviour. The third major character is the next I really want to focus on now as she is pretty awkward, is rather shy but the way she shows it can instead have her come across as aggressive or angry. A major part of her is that she is especially shy around men, which the guest characters are, so there has to be thought in how she will act for a while. And the fourth main character is generally logical and verbally critical of things she is a problem, but underneath that exterior of looking to have no patience of “stupid things” that she could be taken as looking down on them, when not reading she thinks the most of helping others.

All my characters are quite different and have to interact with each other differently, where I have perhaps cheated a little where the four main characters were inspired by different parts of my personality where I have fleshed out traits to be more well-rounded. Or at least I hope, because their traits mean they can appear a bit contradictory: The most self-assured one is the most observant, the most reserved can be the most confrontational, the most aggressive can be the shiest, and the least patient can be the most caring. I guess it has made me anxious if I have even made realistic characters on top of trouble writing how they interact.

A previous chapter I wrote in a college professor who was the rudest and most ignorant despite station, that the way he interacted with my main character that I fear might seem unrealistic but was based on my own interactions with the worst moderator on the web I have ever met this side of a god complex. Which now that I think about it made that arc kind of ironic without realising it.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:24 am

I just analyze the characters in my real life and make characters based on them, or on myself, or on parts of myself, or on myself and a little of someone else too. It comes easy to me.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 5:03 pm

I'm better at writing interaction between two characters. With more, I tend to focus on two and ignore the rest. I've never really shown my stories to anyone else, so I don't know if they speak too formally or something.

I try to look at multiple novels I've read and try to see how the authors handle characters' social interactions.

Jack94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2017, 9:29 pm

I've written quite a lot of poems and lyrics/songs about social interactions and observations
(also some weird ass music)

https://telyscopes.bandcamp.com