Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:44 pm

So not interested in there being a discussion of "welfare queens" in this thread about kid noises
one, because it's not a thing and I get tired of hearing it
two, because whether or not mommy has a job isn't a factor in children's voices being annoying or whatever when they do cry

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:48 pm

1) I apologize for going off topic, but I was just clarifying some things about what happens over in the UK to SweetLeaf (whether we like them happening or not).

2) It wasn't purely about women. It takes 2 to tango, and I made it clear they aren't the only culprits. Plenty of welfare kings too. I respect your pride for women but you need to stop taking opportunities to highlight men as bashing them.

3) Bad parenting = bad noisy kids. And here there are a lot of bad parents, and a lot of noisy kids.

4) Now back to topic. Yes. It's really damn annoying, OP, you aren't alone :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:49 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
I'll agree toddlers are still developing. But say when they are getting parents and stuff shouting at them, swearing at them, ignoring them, letting them run riot then that's not good at all. It's bad parenting, not really any fault of the kid. Regardless, shouldn't be happening but it's the norm now. And maybe toddler wasn't the word I was looking for. I think I meant infant (aged 3+)

Well I agree but then that is the parents fault.....but it seems many have the attitude that if a child is acting out even at the age of say 2, they child is a bad child. Which I have to kinda disagree with I mean I don't think there are many 2 year olds that are really trying to cause harm to people.

EDIT: I'll give you an example of what having a child young does in the UK:
*It gets a troubled teen out of a broken Home and put into a home provided by the council, FOR FREE, FOR LIFE (in most scenarios).
*Child benefits.
*The right to claim child support off their partners or ex partners.
*Easier access to emergency of crisis loans.
*They can also claim to be looking for work when they aren't after aged 18.

The list goes on. And the women (well these kind, are still girls, they only matured sexually not mentally) aren't the only guilty party. The guys get in on this racket as well, and some become fathers to many kids / many mothers. It's an epidemic in the UK and in some areas there are council estate homes as far as your eyes can physically see. The employment rates are a lot higher than the government would have you believe.

Well the troubled teen one makes sense I mean if the choice was stay in a horrid home situation, or have a child and get out of it well I think most people might go with the second choice. As for the rest well yes some people probably abuse the system but do people really get that much money from welfare that it makes up for the energy spent on raising the child(though I imagine a parent having a kid for welfare would not be doing much raising) and the food costs, doctor bills and whatever else?

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:53 pm

Doctor bills? Nah, all free. Dental plans, no need you can get free dental care with persistence. But for the sake of the topic, feel free to discuss this with me another day in another thread or in private :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:00 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
1) I apologize for going off topic, but I was just clarifying some things about what happens over in the UK to SweetLeaf (whether we like them happening or not).

2) It wasn't purely about women. It takes 2 to tango, and I made it clear they aren't the only culprits. Plenty of welfare kings too. I respect your pride for women but you need to stop taking opportunities to highlight men as bashing them.

3) Bad parenting = bad noisy kids. And here there are a lot of bad parents, and a lot of noisy kids.

I just think its sad to dismiss a little kid as 'bad' on account of bad parenting. I mean that is how people grow up feeling alienated......by people just dismissing them that way. Though granted I doubt someone in a grocery store thinking to themself 'what a bad child' is going to have much effect on the child.....but I don't see why people even waste time thinking hateful thoughts about others especially babies and toddlers....especially since there are a number of things that could explain why a child is screaming/crying besides 'bad behavior'.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:02 pm

I don't think it's the kids' faults, but I do have a right to be annoyed by the damn crying and behaviour :) (I think?)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:02 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
Doctor bills? Nah, all free. Dental plans, no need you can get free dental care with persistence. But for the sake of the topic, feel free to discuss this with me another day in another thread or in private :)

I forgot you don't really have doctor bills there, not fair. But anyways alright I guess for the sake of the topic I'll leave it at that.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:12 pm

I had one of those noisy kids - she's only now starting to calm down, at 6yrs. She's on the spectrum, but we didn't know until she was about 5yrs. She has major sensory issues, which were probably the cause of most of the tantrums. I've always done my best to keep the disturbance to a minimum and would remove her from the place, if necessary. But people see the child having a tantrum, not the parent trying their hardest to deal with it. Please remember that not all parents are just allowing their kids to scream. Short of putting a gag on them, what can you do, except take them elsewhere.

BTW I'm not a welfare Mum :wink:

Eureka7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2012, 3:15 pm

I know I never cried like that as a baby and a toddler. My mom even told me I never cried or threw fits. She said I was the best baby out of my 3 sisters! That's also when my mom thought I was "different".

So because I never did that stuff, it just frustrates me to hear other kids do it for no reason. AND YES they DO cry for NO REASON! my nieces and nephew do it all the time-_-

I'd rather hear someone being murdered than hear a kid screaming his head off like he's the one getting murdered...

Just glad I'm not completely alone.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:21 pm

^ I didn't cry at all either. My Mum says I was a dream child. But, my daughter is the complete opposite. She is crying for a reason, it just seems reasonless because it's difficult (or impossible) to determine.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:22 pm

I cried very loud as a baby. But they also said I was a quiet baby and only cried when I needed something. I threw my first tantrum at five months because my mother took too long to get to me when I needed her. She told me I was no longer crying and I was now screaming and my face was very red by the time she got to me.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 4:05 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:

Wasn't highlighting it as a gender issue, that's the word that's used in media discussion of the (harmful and demonstrably false) stereotype.
You need to not mischaracterize my posting history as "taking opportunities to bash men" or whatever. I point out problems which has nothing to do with my "pride" in anything but not allowing nonsense. I'm not taking issue with you for sexism, I'm taking issue with you being wrong.

Kids aren't bad for being noisy. Excessive inappropriate vocalization can be bad behavior, but a child exhibiting a bad behavior doesn't make them a "bad kid". Being inappropriately loud is essentially breaking a social norm. Aren't most of us guilty of that even well out of childhood.
Don't parents of autistic children often get accused of being a bad parenting because their autistic child is "acting out"?
I don't like the idea of tying a child's vocalization to quality of parenting or quality of parenting to income or age.

I don't think anyone enjoys the sound of children screaming, it's designed for it to be hard for us to ignore.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 4:09 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
I don't think it's the kids' faults, but I do have a right to be annoyed by the damn crying and behaviour :) (I think?)

Well of course it annoys me to...I just try not to think hateful things about the child its coming from, like I've seen some people do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Eureka7 wrote:
I know I never cried like that as a baby and a toddler. My mom even told me I never cried or threw fits. She said I was the best baby out of my 3 sisters! That's also when my mom thought I was "different".

So because I never did that stuff, it just frustrates me to hear other kids do it for no reason. AND YES they DO cry for NO REASON! my nieces and nephew do it all the time-_-

I'd rather hear someone being murdered than hear a kid screaming his head off like he's the one getting murdered...

Just glad I'm not completely alone.

Well keep in mind most babies/toddlers do scream and cry.....and it's not really something they can control.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 5:03 pm

Well lets just make it a law that babies aren't allowed in public at all anymore so that some people don't get annoyed. Forget the fact that the mother may have things she has to do and the only option is to take the kid with her. Forget the fact that some kids are louder and cry more than others. Forget completely about the mother who is trying her hardest to get something done with a screaming kid, cause thats not easy to do, lets just focus only on the fact that it's bothering someone else for a few minutes. Someone else who can walk away from it while the mother cannot.

Lets also forget the fact that the kid is obviously not very happy either.

Try and keep other people in mind during your next meltdown too ok? You don't want to annoy them.

Easier said than done, huh?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I threw my first tantrum at five months because my mother took too long to get to me when I needed her.

When it's a baby that young, that's not exactly a "tantrum", IMO. Babies have absolutely NO other way of expressing that they need something, RIGHT NOW.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Forget completely about the mother who is trying her hardest to get something done with a screaming kid, cause thats not easy to do, lets just focus only on the fact that it's bothering someone else for a few minutes. Someone else who can walk away from it while the mother cannot.

Lets also forget the fact that the kid is obviously not very happy either.

Try and keep other people in mind during your next meltdown too ok? You don't want to annoy them.

Easier said than done, huh?

I consider this every time I hear/see some little kid losing it at Walmart (where I work part-time). Simply put, when they leave, I will no longer have to hear the screaming (and neither will the other customers), but she will. Kids will do stuff like that.

And that's right, the kid is NOT having a good time either.

And yes--how many of us have had uncontrollable meltdowns, also? I figure that tantrum-throwing kids (at least some of them) are probably feeling the same way.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17