Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I threw my first tantrum at five months because my mother took too long to get to me when I needed her.

When it's a baby that young, that's not exactly a "tantrum", IMO. Babies have absolutely NO other way of expressing that they need something, RIGHT NOW.

OliveOilMom wrote:
Forget completely about the mother who is trying her hardest to get something done with a screaming kid, cause thats not easy to do, lets just focus only on the fact that it's bothering someone else for a few minutes. Someone else who can walk away from it while the mother cannot.

Lets also forget the fact that the kid is obviously not very happy either.

Try and keep other people in mind during your next meltdown too ok? You don't want to annoy them.

Easier said than done, huh?

I consider this every time I hear/see some little kid losing it at Walmart (where I work part-time). Simply put, when they leave, I will no longer have to hear the screaming (and neither will the other customers), but she will. Kids will do stuff like that.

And that's right, the kid is NOT having a good time either.

And yes--how many of us have had uncontrollable meltdowns, also? I figure that tantrum-throwing kids (at least some of them) are probably feeling the same way.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:43 pm

I work in a fast food place where parents bring their kids all the time. Every once in a while we'll get one screaming at the top of his lungs, and our restaurant isn't that big so you can hear it no matter where you are. Noise like that hurts so much it actually makes me sick sometimes. I know it's not really the kid's fault, I just get really mad that parents don't do anything about it, or at least take them outside until they stop screaming, because it's not just me they're bothering, it's all the other customers as well.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:51 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I work in a fast food place where parents bring their kids all the time. Every once in a while we'll get one screaming at the top of his lungs, and our restaurant isn't that big so you can hear it no matter where you are. Noise like that hurts so much it actually makes me sick sometimes. I know it's not really the kid's fault, I just get really mad that parents don't do anything about it, or at least take them outside until they stop screaming, because it's not just me they're bothering, it's all the other customers as well.

Sometimes the parents can't do anything about it and thats their one chance to stop and get something to eat in a very full day. Also, sometimes getting food in the kid will make them feel better and calm down. I've been the parent in that situation a few times, luckily not too often, and sometimes it's easier said than done to just leave with them.

I'm not saying that parents should just let their kids scream all over the place in public and not worry about it, but overall, it really doesn't last that long. It's hard enough on the kid and the parent too without having to deal with others disapproval. Also, what if the kid is autistic and having a meltdown? Does that change your view of the situation? How about if you were the one having the meltdown in public and couldn't control it?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:02 pm

conundrum wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I threw my first tantrum at five months because my mother took too long to get to me when I needed her.

When it's a baby that young, that's not exactly a "tantrum", IMO. Babies have absolutely NO other way of expressing that they need something, RIGHT NOW.

So my mother was wrong about the "tantrum" then?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:31 pm

League_Girl wrote:
conundrum wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

So my mother was wrong about the "tantrum" then?

She was wrong to refer to it as such.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:07 pm

This noise can just destroy me, if it is close by. Perhaps if I had children of my own, it would be different. Or maybe not..
At work, I am always afraid a kid will go off closer than about 100 feet. I then come unglued. Not good, considering I used to work for freaking Wal*Mart! You could always count on some kid doing this, but fortunately my store was also freaking huge so I could avoid close range. Well about 70-80% of the time. I try to avoid the local Wal*Mart here in town, because it is the worst place outside a Day Care I can imagine to be. Never linger or loiter, that is for certain.
Unfortunately, I cannot retreat at my current job & the kid/infant may get very close before he shrieks. That usually sours my mood for the rest of a shift..

Sincerely,
Matthew

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:14 pm

PS.

I am not saying ANYTHING about parenting ( my Mom usually points out in pride at how "good" I was. Meaning I did not respond much. AT ALL. Not exactly good, Mom!).
Just that the noise kids make have an adverse effect on me. QAlso, their energy level on older children starts of as entertaining, but quickly wears me out. Of course, any parent who has endured a kid's question of "why?" already knows this one, so I am not alone! :lol:

Matt

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:22 pm

I'd rather that a baby be alive and crying, than aborted.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:23 pm

Babies crying drives me up the wall I can't stand it.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:43 pm

I can't stand stupid babies and children crying and screaming. It literally hurts my ears and one thing I hate about crowded restaurants means they scream and makes me scream myself. I have a cute bird who screams but is overly cute and has no brain. A birdbrain to be exact. He is my therapy bird. My brother is very annoying but I love him. Huggable as well.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2012, 3:13 am

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
Babies cry. All babies cry.
Children are still learning how to communicate.
That's just life.

True.

I would get a job and your own apartment ASAP.
The kids will never change.. not for years, anyway.
Then you'll have other problems with them on your hands.

When I dislike a living situation, I try to deal by thinking of a perk...
"Like, AHH, these kids are LOUD.... but, I am living here free, and this situation isn't forever... so, I'll live." Repeat to oneself.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 3:16 am

Yes, this is the reason I hate children.