Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2000namesl8r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2012, 5:29 pm

this website has too much going on for me, i find it hard to follow, i am bright and im philosophical and i cant spell amazingly but should that stop me from achieving my goal? do any events go on where clever people go to meet? in a nut shell thats pretty much it for now because im talking to myself :/

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 5:31 pm

You won't find any intelligent people here. ;)

(joke, joke...)

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2012, 7:18 pm

I can't spell ether, but my web browser has built in spellcheck for all text boxes, so nobody can tell!

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:44 pm

Talking to intelligent people isn't necessarily fulfilling. For instance, ruveyn seems extremely intelligent and, in the academic sense at least, I'm very intelligent as well, yet debating with him is one of the most frustrating things that I have ever done. I imagine that he find debating with me to be similarly difficult and fruitless.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:16 pm

Sometimes i just have to talk to myself

2000namesl8r

11 May 2012, 7:49 am

Tequila wrote:
You won't find any intelligent people here. ;)

(joke, joke...)

im from lancashire too, no need for the joke joke, i know a joke joke when i see one :)

and to the guy with the spell checker.. its too much effort, i think its easyer for people to read how it looks haha.

i sussed today how i go wrong when im reading, well i say wrong, iv noticed how im my own problem, when i read my mind travelles, im still reading but the words dont stick anymore its like my eyes are on autopilot and im away with the fairies haha.

astro geek, from what you said, do you find it hard to disagree, or hard to see someone elses view.. if im wrong i see it as something learnt, when im right i see it as something tought :D its all good but its hard to come by, i come accross slightly aggressive, i wish people actually saw me aggressive then they would see its just my humour... lifes a b***h and then you try to find 1 to marry!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Well, I think the biggest issue is that there are different intellectual strengths people have, and even different specializations people try to aim at(some of these specializations even erroneous). When trying to negotiate all of this, one finds that certain approaches and abilities make communication difficult. I find that I have trouble communicating with people who tend to be overly literal, instead of willing to step back and check for a less literal interpretation(or more charitable reading of what I was trying to say). I also find that I am very dismissive of the intensely religious, simply because I don't even begin to take their ideas seriously. Neither is a sign of lacking intelligence.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:01 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, I think the biggest issue is that there are different intellectual strengths people have, and even different specializations people try to aim at(some of these specializations even erroneous). When trying to negotiate all of this, one finds that certain approaches and abilities make communication difficult. I find that I have trouble communicating with people who tend to be overly literal, instead of willing to step back and check for a less literal interpretation(or more charitable reading of what I was trying to say). I also find that I am very dismissive of the intensely religious, simply because I don't even begin to take their ideas seriously. Neither is a sign of lacking intelligence.

You make some good points here. I often find that many posters take what I write too literally, which complicates discussions with them since I'm often a bit abstract. I also frequently use hyperbole, sarcasm and examples from exaggeration. There also seem to be a tendency to read things in the most offensive manner possible, but I suppose that's the case with most internet conversations. The most annoying thing on this board though is "argumentum sourcerum" where people instead of doing a quick google search, will demand a list of sources a mile long, for anything you say, then won't do the same.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:18 pm

I like this thread.

The number one thing that I want to do is to sit down with someone intelligent over a cup of coffee or tea and pontificate a while on subjects that no one usually talks about.

I find that you develop more of your opinion through talking with someone intelligent and debating various issues than you do reading a book or "studying."

2000namesl8r

12 May 2012, 7:00 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

im the same firstly this was difficult enough to read, erroneous... i get the jist of what ur saying and thus what your explaining, if we really wanted to communicate it is possible, i think a certain level of tollerance is needed but like you say about religeous people, i actually think that it is great for them but i wander surely 1 of them must think... just think in general, i find religions something what is followed not practised. id like to believe but just take 1 look to them stars and talk to me about religeon, dont forget god created that, and chemicals reacting is gods work lmao its the same answer all the time, well in that case why doesnt god give methods out... this shows that in the eyes of religeon, experimenting is fine, but what if that means clashin with the laws... interesting, and yet not openly disgussed through fear of upsetting people. i really wish i was simple enough to follow the leader you know what i mean, i just wanna do my thing!

i will stop going off on my occasional tangent. :D

"neither is a sign of lacking intelligence" i dont think its down to being intelligent (or lack of), for me its more about how much you think, or how deep you think.

i can see you having to work as hard as me to communicate but whats wrong with trying, either way its a learning curve :)

2000namesl8r

12 May 2012, 7:06 am

TM wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

You make some good points here. I often find that many posters take what I write too literally, which complicates discussions with them since I'm often a bit abstract. I also frequently use hyperbole, sarcasm and examples from exaggeration. There also seem to be a tendency to read things in the most offensive manner possible, but I suppose that's the case with most internet conversations. The most annoying thing on this board though is "argumentum sourcerum" where people instead of doing a quick google search, will demand a list of sources a mile long, for anything you say, then won't do the same.

your words are impressive :) i think our humours are the same, im always looking for jokes and with reguards to over exaggeration, i think i do this at times like some people think im getting fresh when im just making the normal convos fun and a little more entertaining :) this makes people jelous, i seem to get on with any1 but the jelous types, i end up having problems like whos dicks bigger but iv got the mouth and im angry enough to lash out when needed. i hate being me, im told to embrace myself but to be happy im to be hated and to be sad im forgotten, i will come to terms with it 1 day but until then...

i like how you see internet chat as a problem, its because there is no expression really and body language, i prefer to be face to face :) this is why i wanna see if these bright types have it between to meet... i know i could but if you got into my life/head you would be ok with me takin a back seat 'for a change' :D

2000namesl8r

12 May 2012, 7:13 am

EstherJ wrote:
I like this thread.

The number one thing that I want to do is to sit down with someone intelligent over a cup of coffee or tea and pontificate a while on subjects that no one usually talks about.

I find that you develop more of your opinion through talking with someone intelligent and debating various issues than you do reading a book or "studying."

this is what im saying, if you are corrected and then you learn something and vise versa, i dont do books, im a social type with no friends haha well iv got people to say hello to but no1 that can see me for me, i wear nike kicks and im kinda ghetto still from being raised in manchester, im greatful because i can go anywhere and i feel confidant ish and on the flip side i feel people see me as unapproacable, i still see that as their loss but at the end of the day i think im losing :(. thus i like that word today haha thus i want to talk to clever people with problems, i like to try to understand the body in a sciency way, like i feel im slighty essentric :D because the adhrenaline in me is too easily released, i dont think we think the same when were are loaded with it. i know its good for focusing where needed but when ur trying to fight it... ignor me im away with them...

if you all think you knob head i will be ok with it, its like water off a ducks back, you wont make me any unhappyer :D

DC
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 11:28 pm

2000namesl8r wrote:

if you all think you knob head i will be ok with it, its like water off a ducks back, you wont make me any unhappyer :D

I think this is the problem these days.

That you feel the need to allow people to criticise your opinions because the remotest possibility of causing offence to an idiot is now a heinous crime.

So they may be making a living by scamming money out people that are willing to believe that chanting over a crystal will cure their terminal cancer, but under no circumstances are you allowed to call BS BS, sadly the lessons of the enlightenment have been thrown aside despite the incredible advances that form of thinking delivered to mankind.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:54 am

Talking to "intelligent people" isn't really all that it's cracked up to be. Intelligent people can be just as silly as anyone, but they are better at hiding how silly they are. If you want to have a good discussion, the topic is usually more important than the people involved.

Another essential ingredient to a good discussion is that people are willing to go out on a limb and attempt to defend positions which seem right, but which they haven't given much thought to beforehand. Being forced to make up arguments on the spot is, surprisingly, a really efficient way to learn about the subtleties and pitfalls of a topic. "Fake it until you make it", as my mum always says.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:58 am

As most of us are Aspies, I think most of us qualify as intelligent. But also because we're aspies, most of us are as eccentric as hell.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

2000namesl8r

13 May 2012, 4:35 am

Declension wrote:
Talking to "intelligent people" isn't really all that it's cracked up to be. Intelligent people can be just as silly as anyone, but they are better at hiding how silly they are. If you want to have a good discussion, the topic is usually more important than the people involved.

Another essential ingredient to a good discussion is that people are willing to go out on a limb and attempt to defend positions which seem right, but which they haven't given much thought to beforehand. Being forced to make up arguments on the spot is, surprisingly, a really efficient way to learn about the subtleties and pitfalls of a topic. "Fake it until you make it", as my mum always says.

im very open about my silly side, i love it. most dont take me serious unless they are clever, einstein was that way inclined, how many friends did he have... newton who id say i was most like reguarding logic and phesable explanations.. wow im on fire today, and iv got my kids over this weekend... dont tell em there is more energy to give lmao.

fake it till u make it lol i like it but i want to be real and lead the way :)

at school i was considered bad, i did all my work and then occupied my own mind because i wasnt challenged enough! all my report cards say the same, excellent work, needs to work on his behaviour... lmao. society has done me proud how can i return the favour, tbh id prefer to just live like a cabbage! being intelligent just opens ur mind to all the BS, thus (theres that word agasin :D ) wasting life time effort and mayb money in learning maybe improving but how, im goin off on 1. im wrapping it up. my problem is also waiting my turn to speak, if i know what ur saying and i wanna add, well u kno what ur sayin let me show u i kno and listen, most people just see this as ignorant and rude... i would cry for help but lets be realistic, there is none. pretend all you like.

i like to experiment and problem solve, if anyone reading needs a brain for their game, please feel free to test....