Going to be honest from now on

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:11 pm

Following up on my earlier post about people hiding and playing games, I've decided to be honest on my OKC profile, about my AS. Because dammit if I can't be honest about myself, how can I expect someone else to be honest about who they are? I know some will say it's TMI, and you shouldn't reveal your Aspieness until the relationship progresses, but I'm sick of hiding. And besides, trying to pass as normal hasn't helped at all. Maybe if people go in knowing more about who I am, they'll be more willing. And the rest will probably be scared off, and I say good riddance. I don't want to waste time on ignorant people who would pass me up for something I was born with and can't help. So under the "Most Private Thing I'm Willing to Admit," section, I wrote this:

"I feel I should learn to be more open about who I am, because I don't accept myself, how can I expect someone else? I have Asperger's, which is on the Autism spectrum. No, I'm not like Rainman. I don't need constant care. In fact, I'm pretty normal, and I'm successful in my field. I just have more difficulty when it comes to socializing, and I'm hypersensitive, which means I don't do well in noisy crowded places. Wikipedia is an excellent source of info, because you really can't believe the media depictions. It's who I am. I want the same things as pretty much everyone else, I just have a little more trouble at a few things which most take for granted. I've got a lot of myself to give to someone, and I hope this aspect of who I am doesn't deter you from wanting to learn more about me. Because, when you get to know me, I can be as fun and interesting as anyone!"

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:13 pm

That sounds really well written, not sure if you should have posted it in your profile, but if you are going to it is good

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:20 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
"I feel I should learn to be more open about who I am, because I don't accept myself, how can I expect someone else? I have Asperger's, which is on the Autism spectrum. No, I'm not like Rainman. I don't need constant care. In fact, I'm pretty normal, and I'm successful in my field. I just have more difficulty when it comes to socializing, and I'm hypersensitive, which means I don't do well in noisy crowded places. Wikipedia is an excellent source of info, because you really can't believe the media depictions. It's who I am. I want the same things as pretty much everyone else, I just have a little more trouble at a few things which most take for granted. I've got a lot of myself to give to someone, and I hope this aspect of who I am doesn't deter you from wanting to learn more about me. Because, when you get to know me, I can be as fun and interesting as anyone!"

I'm somewhat of a grammar nazi so I'm going to point out that on that first line you should probably add an 'if' in between 'because' and 'I'. Sig heil! :nerdy: :skull:

Sounds pretty good other than that, though.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:27 pm

I mention my ASD in the first sentence of my profile.
I actually started getting more responses when I added that line.
Apparently in my age/location a lot of the people using online dating have difficulties with socializing and frequently have ASD themselves and that's why they are there. It ends up being something other people relate to/want to talk about instead of something that warns them away.

I don't think experimenting with this language in your profile is a bad idea. I think you could afford to be a little more positive about it actually.

Best of luck.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 11:33 pm

modified:

"I have Asperger's, which is on the Autism spectrum. No, it's not like Rainman. In fact, I'm pretty normal, and I'm successful in my field. I just have more difficulty when it comes to socializing, and I'm hypersensitive, which means I don't do well in noisy crowded places. Wikipedia is an excellent source of info. Really I'm just like everyone else, I just have a little more trouble at a few things which most take for granted. And when you get to know me, you'll find I can be as fun and interesting as anyone!"

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2012, 4:08 am

Best way to be, Be honest, because you wouldn't want the ones you'd lose anyway! 8)

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

Hamza
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2012, 5:53 am

+1, beeing honest is the best thing these days , just tell whatever u think and like , but befor that u must be responsible ^^ :!: :)