Do you think autism needs to be cured

Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

bushratcandy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2016, 2:25 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I refuse to be cured and that's that.

Love it!! !! Me too, and, I refuse to have my son cured also!

My boy, now 23, has ASD and he does struggle a bit with day-to-day self care, but he is slowly learning, would I change him into someone else? No way! Some young men are sullen and grumpy, they drink too much, are violent and may even get several girls pregnant, never to look after their numerous offspring. My boy is polite and moral, he does what I ask and may one day write a series of novels to rival 'Lord of the Rings'! Come on you can't tell me Tolkien wasn't an aspie, he even invented languages to for the population of middle earth!

As an aside I just found this quote from his grandson

"I vividly remember going to church with him in Bournemouth. He was a devout Roman Catholic and it was soon after the Church had changed the liturgy from Latin to English. My grandfather obviously didn't agree with this and made all the responses very loudly in Latin while the rest of the congregation answered in English. I found the whole experience quite excruciating, but my grandfather was oblivious. He simply had to do what he believed to be right." (Simon Tolkien , 2003)
https://web.archive.org/web/20080422072 ... lkien.html
I rest my case :tongue:

Reptile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2016, 11:10 am

No. It is not an illness therefore needs no cure.
Honestly, if someone would come to me tomorrow with a method to turn me into a NT I would decline because that would change my personality and who I am. And I like who I am.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Honestly I wouldn't mind, if I had that option early in life.

But if I did that now, I feel like that would take away everything that makes me unique.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm

YES