Looking for a college with LOTS of help for Aspies

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jennifer54
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2012, 5:20 am

My son applied to Landmark College. It's a 2 year school for kids with LDs. We were told by everyone who helped with his admission application that he would definitely get in. But he didn't have we have no back up plan.

Does anyone know of a school that has lots of support for kids with Asperger's or other LDs? It would be great if the school were on the east coast, close to Baltimore. But anywhere at this point would be great, too.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2012, 7:35 am

This really depends on what kinds of supports your son needs. If your son has no academic needs, Landmark may not be the right place for him, since it is really geared toward students with learning differences, not autism, or social/communication differences. You need to be very clear about what kinds of supports you are looking for, and find out what they have.

Mercyhurst College, in Erie, Pa, has a program for students with Aspergers. It is definitely worth checking out. There are some other schools that also have some supports (I think Boston U, Drexel, I forget where else), but those supports are less intense and less "embedded" in the student's program. St. Joe's in Philadelphia may also have supports, since they have a lot of programs for teaching about autism - they have an autism center (McKinney ?), so you might want to check with them.

This is a constantly changing area, so information gets old fast. There are some web sites that have information, but I don't have their addresses right now. If I find any, i'll post later.

jennifer54
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2012, 8:25 am

I know there are a lot of colleges that say they offer lots of support, but really only have a resource center. I've spent the morning on the web and have found James Madison, Marshall, Ausburg, and Curry (which sounds really good).

I'll definitely check out your suggestions. I've called Landmark, but haven't heard back. I think the reason he didn't get in is because of his poor social skills. He comes across as less mature than he really is. I hope they call me. It would really help to know what they think the needs to focus on.

Anyway, feeling really down today. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and PS: for anyone else looking for help in this area, stay away from College Learning Experience. We visited 2 campuses and found that they're nothing but a dumping ground. I was stunned at what I saw.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 9:53 am

In my experience, most colleges don't even take physical disabilities that seriously. My current one actually has buildings with NO elevators in them for people in wheel chairs. UGA for instance won't install a ramp at their front entrance (the famous Arch that is also their logo)..

I hope you find something though, I know it's a struggle sometimes to deal with my problems with no support from the school, except the constant promise of longer testing times and "Private rooms" for exams.. which would be great if all my Exams weren't on Online-Blackboard at home...

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2012, 10:02 am

Again, depending on his needs, there's Beacon College, in Florida. It's for kids with learning needs; I'm not sure how they would be for Aspergers.