Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Ark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2012, 10:52 am

I recently turned 18. I promised my parents that when I turned 18 I would get a job. Well after only my third week at my job at a cafe as a dishwasher, the manager called me today and said that she had to let me go because I wasn't "experienced" enough. I have no idea what that means seeing as how it was a mere dish-washing job. I want to know the real reason I was let go. I did my job pretty well actually except for the fact that I am not very physically coordinated and I dropped a plate twice and slipped and fell once. I didn't initiate conversations with my fellow employees either but aside from that I did my work well. I never cheated or tried to get extra time on my break. I never cursed, got upset in front of anybody or lied about what time I clocked in and out. I just feel useless now. Because it was a job washing dishes and I can't decide what the logical reason for me being let go was. I don't know if my fellow employees hated me or liked me. I'm not sure if they thought I was stupid, clumsy, awkward. I have no idea. Has anyone else had an experience similar to my own? Can anyone relate? I feel kind of depressed because of this.

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2012, 11:05 am

I've been fired before because of "attitude" problems. But the reason they gave you may not have been the real reason at all. Some employers are like that.

Keep in mind that you can apply for unemployment so long as you weren't terminated "for cause". Generally, this means you weren't fired for poor performance, insubordination, absences, that kind of thing.

The best advice I can offer, trite though it may sound, is to keep your head up. Just about every time I've either been fired, quit, or been let go, the next job has been batter, either in pay, co-workers, or just general fun. You're 18. You've got about another forty years or so of work ahead of you.

Ark

18 May 2012, 11:12 am

Kumorigoe wrote:
I've been fired before because of "attitude" problems. But the reason they gave you may not have been the real reason at all. Some employers are like that.

Keep in mind that you can apply for unemployment so long as you weren't terminated "for cause". Generally, this means you weren't fired for poor performance, insubordination, absences, that kind of thing.

The best advice I can offer, trite though it may sound, is to keep your head up. Just about every time I've either been fired, quit, or been let go, the next job has been batter, either in pay, co-workers, or just general fun. You're 18. You've got about another forty years or so of work ahead of you.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what to do right now. I was originally going back to work this sunday (two days) and then BOOM. I get hit with this 'fired' thing. I feel like my routine has been 'disrupted' as they say.

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2012, 11:20 am

It's hard to adjust, I know. Last time I was let go, it was a Friday morning. My notice was a phone call from my manager at the staffing firm telling me that I was let go as of that moment.

Something I do that has worked well for me is to treat finding a job as a job. By that, I mean getting up early every day, as if you were going to work, and spending 6-8 hours a day doing job search stuff. It could be resume writing, reference gathering, filling out applications ans so forth.

Ark

18 May 2012, 11:23 am

Kumorigoe wrote:
It's hard to adjust, I know. Last time I was let go, it was a Friday morning. My notice was a phone call from my manager at the staffing firm telling me that I was let go as of that moment.

Something I do that has worked well for me is to treat finding a job as a job. By that, I mean getting up early every day, as if you were going to work, and spending 6-8 hours a day doing job search stuff. It could be resume writing, reference gathering, filling out applications ans so forth.

Yeah I definitely need to look for another job. The manager who fired me said that I could still use her as a reference. I hate how she said "You're a great guy but we just need somebody with more experience". What does that even mean? Its a dish-washing job for pete's sake. They still have two checks for me so when I go in to collect my checks, I might just ask her what the real reason was.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 11:56 am

Two resources you need to access that many people overlook:

- The local branch of the state job center. You can use their computer network to look for jobs, to type up a resume and post it online, to fax and photo copy resumes, and a number of other things. They usually also offer aptitude testing, where you fill out a form that finds out what you may be good at, and what your interests are. You can register online with the local state job center, and access their network from home or the local library, too.

- Employment agencies. You can apply for permanent, temp to perm, and temp work through them. There are all kinds of employment available through employment agencies, but the most common are office work, factory, and industrial. There are also some agencies that specialize in accounting/finance, acting/modelling, executive placements, etc. Although some of the jobs available through employment agencies require experience, some don't, so sign up with all the agencies in your area. You are allowed to sign with all of the agencies, not just one. This allows you to get more work, if you are temping, or to find more permanent job leads. Some agencies may try to make you sign an exclusive contract with them--that is, you agree to work only through that agency, but never sign such an exclusive contract, as it reduces your chances of finding work.

If your academic skills aren't up to a regular college or university, you might want to consider a vocational school that will train you for a specific career. Some such vocational careers are:

- Truck driving/truck maintenance
- Plumber
- Electronics
- Computer building/repair/maintenance
- Computer tech--software
- Office work
- Automotive
- Air conditioning/heating repair and maintenance

There are many others as well, so this is worth looking into. Some colleges and universities have a master gardener program. People completing this training help the public in different ways as part of the requirement. You might run a gardening help line over the phone or I-net, or help out in other ways.

Another option is to be self employed. Some possibilities are:

- Lawn mowing/yard work/gardening
- Handyman/woman
- Errand/shopping service
- House keeping
- House and pet sitting
- Cooking meals in your home to sell and deliver to a regular list of clients
- Tutor
- Help people with their computer problems
- Turn a hobby into a money making enterprise

There are many possibilities. You just have to look into them, and at your age, you have plenty of time to experiment. :D

Ark

18 May 2012, 12:37 pm

questor wrote:
Two resources you need to access that many people overlook:

- The local branch of the state job center. You can use their computer network to look for jobs, to type up a resume and post it online, to fax and photo copy resumes, and a number of other things. They usually also offer aptitude testing, where you fill out a form that finds out what you may be good at, and what your interests are. You can register online with the local state job center, and access their network from home or the local library, too.

- Employment agencies. You can apply for permanent, temp to perm, and temp work through them. There are all kinds of employment available through employment agencies, but the most common are office work, factory, and industrial. There are also some agencies that specialize in accounting/finance, acting/modelling, executive placements, etc. Although some of the jobs available through employment agencies require experience, some don't, so sign up with all the agencies in your area. You are allowed to sign with all of the agencies, not just one. This allows you to get more work, if you are temping, or to find more permanent job leads. Some agencies may try to make you sign an exclusive contract with them--that is, you agree to work only through that agency, but never sign such an exclusive contract, as it reduces your chances of finding work.

If your academic skills aren't up to a regular college or university, you might want to consider a vocational school that will train you for a specific career. Some such vocational careers are:

- Truck driving/truck maintenance
- Plumber
- Electronics
- Computer building/repair/maintenance
- Computer tech--software
- Office work
- Automotive
- Air conditioning/heating repair and maintenance

There are many others as well, so this is worth looking into. Some colleges and universities have a master gardener program. People completing this training help the public in different ways as part of the requirement. You might run a gardening help line over the phone or I-net, or help out in other ways.

Another option is to be self employed. Some possibilities are:

- Lawn mowing/yard work/gardening
- Handyman/woman
- Errand/shopping service
- House keeping
- House and pet sitting
- Cooking meals in your home to sell and deliver to a regular list of clients
- Tutor
- Help people with their computer problems
- Turn a hobby into a money making enterprise

There are many possibilities. You just have to look into them, and at your age, you have plenty of time to experiment. :D

Thank you for your post. You have added allot of information and you seem extremely knowledgeable on the subject so thank you very much for taking the time out to help me. I will try to put your information to good use.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 8:19 pm

Ark wrote:
Yeah I definitely need to look for another job. The manager who fired me said that I could still use her as a reference. I hate how she said "You're a great guy but we just need somebody with more experience". What does that even mean? Its a dish-washing job for pete's sake. They still have two checks for me so when I go in to collect my checks, I might just ask her what the real reason was.
A job like this, you want to be the fast side of medium and a steady eddie kind of worker. If you tend to overtry and work nervous, as I sometimes do, combined with falling on one occasion, and in their mind the possibility of a future injury and workers' comp., that could be the real reason. And the lady just doesn't know how to coach you, she lacks the skills.

For those of us on the spectrum, there is an inverse relationship between "easy" jobs and "hard" jobs.

I did badly at Kroger grocery stores where the absentee managers tended to allowed bullying.

On the other hand, I did well at being a photocopy center manager, a furniture sales person, and a tax preparer at H & R Block (where I did try and inform my clients of the negatives of the bank products).

This lady says she's willing to be a reference for you. I'd try to graciosly accept that and let it go. Or maybe ask, 'If there's one thing I could do to improve, what might that be?'. And then, whatever answer she gives, even a nonanswer is fine. This is probably a time to underplay the hand.

These kind of low-level jobs, getting there consistently 3-8 minutes early and leaving your work area organized are emphasized out of all proportion (with promotions still slow in coming!).

At age 18, please continue to dream about really good jobs. Let us help you here at WP with academic skills if need be. For example for me, pre-studying has often been the coin of the realm.

jhighl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2012, 11:15 am

lol i got fired from my first job just like that. Dont sweat it bro some bosses are just di#k heads. It does sting at first but you will get over it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 6:37 pm

Hmm..."not experienced enough." I'm VERY curious to know what he meant since you only fell once and only broke one plate. I wonder if he has a cousin or nephew or some other relative who needs a job so he's giving you the boot. I wonder if the other employees complain you're not a team player.

taxman
Raven
Raven

21 May 2012, 9:03 pm

I was fired from a dishwasher job years ago, for not being fast enough. That may be what this was about. Often they also expect dishwashers to take on other tasks in the kitchen...this is something else that was explained to me, that I was taking so long with the dishes that I wasn't able to do other tasks.

Unfortunately, you have not worked long enough to collect unemployment. It is good that they agree to provide a reference--I had a similar situation where the guy liked me, but he said "it just isn't working out."