Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 4:18 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
Xenu wrote:
Episode 1: Complete and utter sh**, one of the worst films of all time

Episode 2 Terrible dialogue, terrible 1 dimensional characters, terrible wooden acting, and full of "really? -_-" moments

Episode 3: Same as what I said about episode 2 only even worse.

Episode 4: Decent popcorn flick with some questionable dialogue and a stupid deux ex machina plot point (the exhaust pipe that destroyed the Death Star)

Episode 5: A good film marred by some questionable dialogue and some severe pacing issues early in the film.

Episode 6: Bad dialogue, bad subplot (They are building a second death star, only ret*d midget furries can stop a technologically advanced army with weapons that can destroy f***ing PLANETS ) other than that it was okay... But the unneeded Luke and Leia are siblings was just a pointless thing that seemed to be added on to give it a twist.

Also the only halfway decent films of the series (episodes 4, 5, and 6) Lucas had the least to do with! Lucas got sick during the making of 4 so the studio pretty much took over (even more than they already had been taking over) episode 5 was directed by Irvin Kershner, and 6 was by some guy who hasn't done anything but Star Wars.

Also how could anyone think a series with a film that Robert Christian (the guy that directed Battlefield Earth) co-directed (Phantom Menace) is a good series?

Sure I respect the imprint it had on modern culture, and I can see some redeeming values in the original trilogy (not the prequels though, those are just sh**) but as a whole they really aren't all that great and are greatly overrated.

The originals are very much of their time, as a child of the 70's the Star Wars films will always be special to me.
Some 18 year old declaring them overrated 30+ years later is pretentious fuc*wittery of the highest order.

I'm not even that old but agree with you 100%, they were big leap forwards for cinema too at the time they came out.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Star Wars: *****
Empire: *****
Jedi: ****1/2
Menace: ***
Clones: ***1/2
Sith: ****1/2

I know that sounds a little generous towards Menace & Clones, but I'm focusing on the films as a whole and not just the parts we love to hate. (JarJar, whiny Anakin, etc.) Examples: the cinematography, the editing, the fight choreography, the score, and so forth.

Toxicity
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2012, 1:40 pm

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 4/10.The worst of them.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clone 5/10. Not much better than Episode I but that last battle gets it an extra point.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 8/10. I actually really like this one. Miles above I & II.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 9/10. Great movie only outclassed by Empire.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 10/10. Best Star Wars Ever.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 8/10. Worst of the original trilogy but still very enjoyable

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 10:28 pm

1: very bad
2: very bad
3: okay
4: amazing
5: amazing
6: very good

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 1:03 am

1. The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
2. A New Hope 10/10
3. Return of the Jedi 10/10
4. Revenge of the Sith 9.5/10
5. Attack of the Clones 7/10
6. The Phantom Meance 5.5/10

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:46 pm

Empire Strikes Back ***

A New Hope *** 1/2

Return of the Jedi ****

The Phantom Menace **

Attack of the Clones ** 1/2

Revenge of the Sith *** 1/2

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2012, 2:25 pm

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 5/10:I didn't like this film very much;

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clone 5/10:The same as Episode I;

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 7/10:I think it makes a good connecting point between the two trilogies;

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 10/10:I think that this film is amazing;it's my favourite of all the Star Wars movies!; c:

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 8/10:This film was very good,though it's the one in this trilogy that I liked less;

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 9/10:Amazing film;I think it's second only to Episode IV.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

Episode IV was always a little too long for my attention span, Jedi was always my favorite because the good guys win.

Out of the new trilogy, episode 3 is ok.

Smittytron
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2012, 10:34 pm

#1: Episode V
#2: Episode IV
#3: Episode VI
#4: Episode III
#5: Episode I
#6: Episode II
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that phantom menace wasn't as bad as attack of the clones. Remember how they played up Anakin duel-wielding lightsabers in the ads for Ep II? That scene lasts about 4 seconds before he looses one. At least Liam Neeson is in Episode I; explains Batman's Jedi-Ninja training.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

I dunno how valuable my opinion is, as I was never a Star Wars aficionado per se... rather, a casual viewer of the movies. Don't get me wrong, I loved Vader and Yoda and Chewie, and I thought the first three movies were awesome when I watched them as a child.

That all being said, I find I can't rate Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi separately... because I view the three movies as one big story. Of course, many of you will say: 'But, you can rate each of the movies on their own respective strengths and flaws'... and yeahh, I could, but to me, it would feel like rating a good music album, and then taking the first 4 songs on it and rate that part, then take the next 4, etc.

The prequels, however, I do have something of an opinion on, separately from each other. I harbour a controversial love for Phantom Menace... I've seen it in the cinema, at the age of 12, and loved it. I haven't seen it since. At that time, I watched it the same way I had watched the original Star Wars movies: as a fairy tale in space, pure entertainment. It succeeded, for me, on that front.

I saw Clones much later, years after its theatrical release, on a TV channel somewhere. I personally thought it was very weak. What bothered me most was the Padme/Anakin romance, which felt forced and clichéd to me.

Sith I really liked, but something was missing from it when compared to Empire of even Jedi. I think, what was wrong with it, was that Sith was one long chain of action scenes. It was a LOT of fighting. Mind you, there were many awesome fights in it, like Obi Wan vs. Grievous, or Obi Wan vs Anakin, but what was different in the original films, was that you had breathing time in-between the action. An important thing of note is perhaps that the original three movies introduced stuff you as a moviegoer had no previous clue about, such as the Sand People, the X-Wings and Tie Fighters, Jabba, Chewie, the Droids.. then later, stuff like Yoda on Dagobah, planet Hoth with Tauntauns and the Wampa, later still the Ewoks, love 'em or hate 'em.
With Sith, I kind of had the feeling that everything had been established. There was some new stuff but not much. There were characters walking around who weren't named, and whose identity you would only know if you'd (later) play a video game, or read a novel, or a comic book, or watch one of the animated versions, and I'd prefer they deal with that in the movie itself. But everything had been established, even though this movie technically takes place BEFORE Star Wars. So, scenes like Yoda meeting Chewie and the Wookies feel a lot like 'Oh, you already know these characters, we just throw them in as a shout-out'. There wasn't much exploring of NEW concepts in especially Clones and Sith. And especially Sith, to me, felt like it was designed to be a bridge between Phantom/Clones and the original trilogy. Wrapping up the loose ends went way too quickly to my tastes, and frankly, I thought Anakin's fall to the dark side felt very, very artificial and contrived.
I find myself in the camp of people who say that Anakin Skywalker in the prequels doesn't come across as the 'great noble hero who tragically fell into the temptation of the dark side', but rather as a selfish, arrogant, whining loser.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 6:57 pm

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) 6
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) 6
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) 8
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) 10
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 10
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) 9

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:57 am

Late but I like Star Wars a lot.

The Empire Strikes Back = 9.5/10 (my personal favorite)
Return of the Jedi = 9/10
A New Hope = 9/10
Revenge of the Sith = 7.5/10
Attack of the Clones = 6.5/10
The Phantom Menace = 6/10

I take it someone has seen the RedLetterMedia reviews of the prequel trilogy?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

I:5
II:7
III:8
IV:8
V:9
VI:7

Diagnosed in 2005

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:12 pm

Ranking best to worse, rather than listing the films chronologically:

1 - V The Empire Strikes Back
2 - VI Return Of The Jedi
3 - III Revenge Of The Sith
4 - IV A New Hope
5 - II Attack Of The Clones
6 - I The Phantom Menace

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 5:41 pm

Episode I The Phantom Menace (1999) 1/10
I hated Jar jar, such a dork. Even the other characters ignored him.
The submarine run through the centre of the planet was woeful and embarrising.
The entire pod-racer experience was wasted time, adding so little to the story.

Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) 8/10
Far more mystery in this movie. I had to watch it several times to understand that Palpatine set the whole thing up with the clone army 10 years before.
And love the clone battle at the end of the movie.

Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005) 8 Episode IV A New Hope (1977) 3/10
Dull and drawn out movie.

Episode IV A New Hope. 10/10
A true classic. I watched it upon release at the drive in theatre. A stary cloudness night, and this huge star ship passing overhead. The effect was quite incredible.
It was unique for movies of the time, and far ahead of its time.

Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 4/10
Poor acting by Darth Vadar, he somehow became inept.
Poor story line, not very inspirational.

Episode VI Return of the Jedi (1983) 3/10
Those stupid Ewaks kill this movie. Whoever put those into a movie should be sacked, tarred and feathered.
Poor story line.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

Here is my scoring:

1. The Empire Strikes Back - 10
2. A New Hope - 8
3. Return of the Jedi - 8
4. Revenge of the Sith - 8
5. The Phantom Menace - 7
6. Attack of the Clones- 6

Here is what my scoring would look like if Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks had never existed:

2. Return of the Jedi - 10
3. The Phantom Menace - 9
4. A New Hope - 8
5. Revenge of the Sith - 8
6. Attack of the Clones- 7

And here is what my scoring would look like if Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks had never existed, and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) had played Anakin instead of Hayden Christensen:

2. Revenge of the Sith - 10
3. Return of the Jedi - 10
4. The Phantom Menace - 9
5. Attack of the Clones- 9
6. A New Hope - 8

And here is what my scoring would look like if Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks had never existed, and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) had played Anakin instead of Hayden Christensen, and Darth Maul hadn't been killed off in The Phantom Menace, but clashed with the Jedi until the end of Revenge of The Sith:

1. Revenge of the Sith - 10
2. The Empire Strikes Back - 10
3. Return of the Jedi - 10
4. The Phantom Menace - 10
5. Attack of the Clones- 10
6. A New Hope - 8