Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Scubasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

I bounce my leg incessantly when sitting. I don't usually notice it. I can stop, when told to, but I don't like to. People comment on it often. I don't feel that it's something that is inappropriate though or that takes away from my credibility (like twirling in circles would at my age).

Since self-diagnosis, I've realized how much I clap and flap my hands when excited, too. Fortunately, I don't think I get excited enough to do this unless I'm around close friends and family. I'd be embarrassed if someone at work commented on it.

One that bugs me because I never realized that I do it... my husband says that when I'm concentrating hard on what someone is saying that I move my lips like I'm talking, too. Not sure if that qualifies as a stim since I don't think that I get any release from it... but it really can't help me out when trying to blend in... Anyone else ever been told that they do that?

Nissanfan84
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

I'm a nailbiter and a leg bouncer :o

my newest one is tugging on my eyebrows. I find the tug pleasing, although my brows are getting a little thin :?

Tomas73
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2013, 4:36 pm

Hi,

I have had a relationship with rhythmic movement for years as a musician, but it wasn't until reading this thread, that I realised my so called "fidgeting" and "incessant tapping" is probably a form of stimming too. It definitely distracts/stimulates me in a way that allows me to feel more mentally relaxed.

An interesting aspect to this, is that I consciously play with the rhythms to address the feeling I desire - for example: "complex" and "compound" time signatures can add a funky oval lolloping feel, or a sense of urgency, whilst a "simple" fat back-beat can be equally satisfying in a more brute-force manner.

I stim in several of the other ways that people here have mentioned too, and for me tapping of drum patterns can definitely have a similar urge to these activities. I'm particularly satisfied by odd meters. Does anyone else have a take on this?

btw: On reflection, I think this may be to do with "control"; To take events, and stipulate exactly where they fall. The more acute the implementation is, the more satisfying.

roger199

10 Apr 2017, 6:21 am

Leg rocking you can get away with body rocking you'll get ridiculed for in my experience . In private go for it . I wonder if leg stimying is bad for my knees they get sore sometimes so I have to mix it up.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 7:40 am

Heh if you're alone what's the big deal x) I am most comfortable when I am alone with my obnoxious habits :P

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 10:25 am

When in private, it's okay to be yourself, as long as you aren't hurting anyone. I don't stim as much as some others on the spectrum, but do have to suppress myself somewhat in public occasionally. Doesn't always work though. Was in a waiting area at a business recently, and a couple of other people were waiting there too. Had a nice tune going thru my brain. Couldn't shut it off, and couldn't stop moving my hands or nodding my head to the beat. At least I looked like I was peacefully having a good time. Was waiting for a relative to finish his business there, and I am always stressed by being with relatives, so I guess that's why I was having trouble controlling the stimming that day. I live alone, so I am able to stim all I want when I am at home. I don't stim much away from home, but it helps to know that I will be able to do it once I get home. This helps me control most of it when I am away from home, although I will still twirl utensils and pens anywhere. None of my stims hurt anyone, and they seem to relieve stress, so it doesn't bother me, as long as I don't look too weird in public.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 11:22 pm

Halligeninseln wrote:
Since starting to busy myself with the topic of aspergers and since getting my diagnosis I have stopped suppressing stimming when I am alone. So when I am by myself I just do it, while engaging in my special interest. My usual stim is fairly heavy and would look very autistic if someone were to see me, so I make sure they don't. For many years I kept it suppressed but now that I know that I have AS I don't feel like suppressing it any more, at least for the time being, because it feels really good and even helps me to concentrate for long periods. On the other hand I wonder about it not being adult to do this at my age and suppose that at some time in the future I should train myself to suppress it again. I always used to wonder as a child if heavy stimming produced undesirable changes in the brain but I think that at my age I'm not too worried about that any more. Though I don't really know. I certainly count myself as less "normal" now that I have gone back to doing this but I feel it raises noticeably the level of well-being in my brain. It's a bit of a private subject to be writing about but I would be interested to hear if anyone has anything to say from a scientific or medical or personal point of view.

I have been trying to find someone describing a stim I use and this sounds like it. I had the same fear as a child, but of course that didn't stop me from doing it. At an age of 62 I rarely do it. In exploring it, I find I can't even do it at will, only when I have high anxiety.
It definitely creates a trance like state and looks very autistic in that I seem to be trying to achieve a trance like state. Does anyone have a similar stim?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 2:45 pm

IMO, yes, it is ok. I have autism and tourette. I can't even stay still in my sleep. I do a wide variety of really noticeable stims and tics, and nobody says anything. Leg bouncing, bobbing my head as if listening to music, twitching or twisting my head to the side or on an angle as if to pop my neck, staring off into space even though I'm paying attention, finger tapping, finger fanning, finger danging, flapping at the wrist, popping my knuckles, rotating my arms, tugging at the collar of my shirt, humming, blinking overtly, twirling pens between my fingers, shifting in my seat, sitting in odd positions, etc etc... I might briefly stop moving for a minute, but usually at any given time I'm doing at least any two or three of those things, of not more. I don't make enough noise to disturb anyone, and my movements stay inside my personal bubble. Haven't had any problems with it that I'm aware of.

synack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2019, 9:09 am

I started to write a reply, then I had a doubt and went to check what "stimming" means. How smart was I! It prevented me from posting a big text on my masturbation habitudes.

:roll: :lol:

Now as to stimming, I do a bit of it on my desk, everything should be at its place or at least at an interesting angle with other objects around. But I don't care what people think of it, it's quite soft I think and did not increase in life fortunately. I also do those things with my fingers, my hands and my jaw but I believe no one really pays attention to that so I feel OK with it.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 2:45 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
IMO, yes, it is ok. I have autism and tourette. I can't even stay still in my sleep. I do a wide variety of really noticeable stims and tics, and nobody says anything. Leg bouncing, bobbing my head as if listening to music, twitching or twisting my head to the side or on an angle as if to pop my neck, staring off into space even though I'm paying attention, finger tapping, finger fanning, finger danging, flapping at the wrist, popping my knuckles, rotating my arms, tugging at the collar of my shirt, humming, blinking overtly, twirling pens between my fingers, shifting in my seat, sitting in odd positions, etc etc... I might briefly stop moving for a minute, but usually at any given time I'm doing at least any two or three of those things, of not more. I don't make enough noise to disturb anyone, and my movements stay inside my personal bubble. Haven't had any problems with it that I'm aware of.

Before I stopped caring I had to suppress so many tic/stims and deal with it at home. Now that the stress levels are out of control, the tics are worse. I have some of the same: Head twitch, head twisting side to side, the hard blink, mouth opening wide, face stretch, knuckle pop, wrist twisting, left arm/shoulder movement, the grunty clearing of throat, etc... They are getting worse too.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 8:31 pm

My ankles/lower legs/knees are often intertwined, sometimes with a foot flapping too. I need to shift in my chair a lot, I hold my wrists or slowly wring my hands. I'm barefoot usually but socks must be arch support for the squeeze, I sometimes wear a tight tank top under my clothes if I need to focus a lot that day.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 8:47 pm

I stim nonstop 24/7 even in my sleep, to the point I've needed medication for self-harm. I don't hide it at all any more because I think I'd go out of my mind without it.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2020, 3:15 pm

I was stimming before I knew what it was and knowing I was autistic.My is pacing had it for yrs some people can't even tell when doing it in front of them.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

I start rocking often without realizing it when I'm sitting, and it's sometimes the only way that, say, if I'm at a restaurant, I can make it through the ordeal without curling up into a little ball under the table with my eyes closed and my hands over my ears - I figure the rocking is better than that, so I don't fret about it too much. When I have my service dog with me (who has "autism service dog" in big letters on his vest) or when I'm at home either by myself or with only family, I'm trying to un-condition myself from suppressing my stimming, which is actually much harder than I thought it would be. When I'm out in public without my dog I try to keep to stims that won't draw much attention to me because a. I don't want to be disruptive (and I loathe being the center of attention) and b. I don't want people to see me doing it and make (likely incorrect) assumptions about me. But I'm almost constantly stimming in at least one way, even if it isn't very (or at all, such as tapping the back of all my teeth one at a time with my tongue) noticeable.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Mouka

20 Apr 2020, 2:43 am

I stopped suppressing my stimming when I was diagnosed, so I actually stim MORE as an adult than I did as a teen, mostly because I learned about all the alternative stims I could do. Like stim toys to replace harmful stims and stuff.

One of my stims is picking/biting at my fingers, and even though I still give in and do it sometimes, I carry around little fiddle toys to occupy my hands. Some of them are pretty small and discreet. My fingers haven't bled in a good while now, so that's awesome.

Also I have chewing things to replace my stim of chewing on my lip. They're pretty discreet too, just clear food-grade silicone tubes the size of a pen cap.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 5:07 pm

I don't know if it's okay, but that doesn't mean I can help it. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う