Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2012, 2:46 am

I hate nurses and doctors and all people like them! I also hate needles. My little brother found out he has celiac disese and the doctor said that my sister and I should be tested for it because we might have it too. The only way they can test for it is with a blood test. So on friday my mom told my sister and I we had to leave the resturant we were at to get the blood test done. My little sister wasnt happy about it, I started crying right there. When we got to the hospital I thought about running away but I didnt. By the time we got into the waiting room I was hideing from the nurses and office people. And by the time they dragged me into the room I was screaming as loud as I could and crying. There was 3 nurses and my step dad and my mom in the room. As I had the needle in my arm my mom held me so I couldnt move and a creepy nurse held my feet. I never stopped screaming the whole time. It was awful. I have always been like that with doctors. I think this would be considerd an extreme fear, right? Or does it have to do with Aspergers? What do you fear?

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 2:54 am

My sympathies.

I fear dying forgotten.

Who doesn't.

EQ: 6.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:02 am

Fear of needles have NOTHING to do with Asperger's, maybe your reaction of it was due to Asperger's but the fear itself isn't, I literally know loads of NTs who absolutely hate needles. When my NT friend went to have an injection, all she kept doing was whining about the needle, I got bored in the end.

Why do Aspies seem to think NTs aren't afraid of anything? You meet one NT, you've met one NT.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:37 am

Everyone hates needles, and no one is thrilled with trips to the docs/hospital, either. I am able to handle it, though. Although I don't recollect doing so, I am sure as a baby/toddler/very small child, I must have kicked up a fuss, too, but I outgrew that. In the case of those like yourself, I suggest taking a liquid or pill tranquillizer ahead of time. Also, don't look as they are putting the needle in. Looking while they do it makes it worse, so once I know they are about to do it, I look away. You are young yet, and will probably get better at dealing with this as you mature.

As for Celiac's disease, that has it's own difficulties. Those who have it have to alter their eating menu. Generally, that means going gluten free. Gluten is something--I think some kind of protein present in some types of grain, among them wheat, oats, and barley. Tons and tons of foods have at least some of these three common grains added to them, sometimes just as filler, so it can be extremely hard to eliminate it from your grocery list. Also, if you like breads, it can be hard to find those without gluten. Rice breads can be gotten gluten free at many supermarkets, but I find them extremely tasteless, so I don't care for rice breads, unless they include flour from other gluten free grains, like quinoa or amarynth. Potato, soy, and almond flour are also good, and there are a number of others out there, too. For breads your family may even eventually buy a bread machine, so you can make your own gluten free breads. I've had bread machines, and home made bread is great! :D

Since your brother definitely has Celiac's disease, there will be a lot of changes in your family's menu now, even if you and your sister don't have it. It will make it easier for your mother if she can feed everyone the same foods at each meal, rather than make a separate meal for your brother, so you will all probably be going gluten free now. How about helping your mother out by doing some research on Celiac's disease, and on going gluten free? :D Maybe you could even do this as a school project for one of your classes? :lol:

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 1:46 pm

Fear of needles is very common. In everyone - AS or not.

I used to have an extreme fear of needles, but then I developed a condition that meant I had to have blood tests every two weeks ... I no longer require such regular blood tests and I'm very relieved. I got used to it but still used to get very anxious - nothing like the panic attacks I had initially though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 4:02 pm

I don't have a fear of needles. I just have a fear of having an injection because I worry about the injection might turn me into a severely Autistic person. This was due to a scare I had when I was 9, when the whole school had to have an injection and the special needs teacher phoned my mum the night before and told her that I shouldn't have it done because it might affect my AS.

So, yeah.

Stupid AS - turns me into a nervous wreck when it comes to medication.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 6:02 pm

vanhalenkurtz, I could remember you!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmss1ip31_U[/youtube]

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 7:15 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have a fear of needles. I just have a fear of having an injection because I worry about the injection might turn me into a severely Autistic person. This was due to a scare I had when I was 9, when the whole school had to have an injection and the special needs teacher phoned my mum the night before and told her that I shouldn't have it done because it might affect my AS.

What kind of injection was it? Also, the whole "developing autism from injections thing" was said to happen when a person was a lot younger than 9 (plus, it's a load of BS anyway). How could anyone think that getting one later would make it worse? All that teacher did was give you an additional anxiety for nothing. :roll:

@Kaelynn: take a look at this: Blood-injection-injury type phobia. It is fairly common.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17