Choosing a career path that uses your trained skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Are you currently working in the field you were trained in?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 17

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2012, 12:09 pm

I've read in Michael John Carley's book "Asperger's from the Inside Out" that out of those with autism who DO have jobs, about 2 percent are employed in the field that they were trained in. I've also read about a high unemployment rate in the population, despite technical skills.

How did you go about choosing your career path?

Did you factor in any social challenges when deciding your career, whether or not you had a diagnosis?

Did you change career paths?

Was there anything you would do differently, looking back?

I'm a young adult, haven't yet really started on a career, and am looking for advice about choosing a career as a person with AS. I'm living independently and am very concerned about being able to support myself.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 12:47 pm

Scatmaster wrote:

Did you factor in any social challenges when deciding your career, whether or not you had a diagnosis?

I'm a young adult, haven't yet really started on a career, and am looking for advice about choosing a career as a person with AS. I'm living independently and am very concerned about being able to support myself.

As a young adult, the world is open for you (if you have the money?).
I chose university after gymnasium (Danish model) both are free and we get a small government allowance each month. I am the second person in the family to attend university, so it was not a "natural" choice for me. Universities can be very aspie friendly places, especially math, science etc.

I studied biology, which was my main interest (but I might have ended up on geography, geology, history, archaeology or some language study). In other words, my interests were broad, but I am glad that I chose biology.

I did my masters project in Africa (lived in TZ for two years), studied geography as a minor and had some kids before I finished university. Jobs are not easy to find in my field. Therefore I went abroad for more years (to a country where it was easy to get a job). The job had nothing to do with tropical forests, but I had a chance to work in fisheries. I have now returned home and is starting an industrial Ph.D. in fisheries.

The best advice I can give is that you have to go after something that you have an interest in. It might not be your main interest, but related to it. I am able to direct my interests, but I do not think that all people have that ability?

Get yourself a good CV, do voluntarily work, be on www.Linkedin.com, you have to be flexible and might have to trawel to where the jobs are (at least for a while). In some fields it is almost always nessesary to work for free or for very low payment to get experience (unless your are very gifted or better yet, very gifted in your social interactions)

I would have done a few things differently, if I had known about my aspergers. I always had trouble with oral exams (I am not very good with non-verbal clues), I could have had some help with those.

networking, networking, networking, networking, networking, networking, networking, networki

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2012, 1:19 pm

I trained as a library assistant and then later as a librarian in college. I'm teaching a language now (individuals or tutoring 4-8 people). I think it was my problems with executive functioning that caused me problems as a librarian. I found it hard to take charge of projects, but handled the routine everyday stuff well enough. If I could have stayed at a level where I did admin stuff and found information for people, I might have been ok, but I'm reasonably bright and got promoted beyond my capabilities (didn't know re AS then). The language classes have pre-arranged syllabi and not much for me to organise, just do stuff as it turns up.
If I knew then what I know now, I'd have avoided the jobs that required more executive functioning, or else I'd have been really careful about being very very very organised...

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 2:55 pm

I studied and trained for engineering. Thought it capitalized on my strengths and minimized my weaknesses. And I still read that it is a good career for ASD.

But what i am encountering is that the employers want people skills (read: excellent communication skills, team players and managers as main examples) over the valued technical skills. So i am still getting no looks for employment since my last layoff as i had not "advanced" enough in my career meaning no management experience, which i don't have the skills for. :wall:

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2012, 9:04 pm

Thanks for your quick responses. I found them very helpful.

Quote:
As a young adult, the world is open for you (if you have the money?).
I chose university after gymnasium (Danish model) both are free and we get a small government allowance each month. I am the second person in the family to attend university, so it was not a "natural" choice for me. Universities can be very aspie friendly places, especially math, science etc.

Sadly, I don't have the money. I refuse to live with my parents since the environment is not good for me, and they cannot support me financially anyways.

I've attended some university, but I really wish it were free. I'm having trouble getting through these years, being in debt and living on my own.

SolidSora
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2012, 9:31 pm

No, I'm in digital computer arts, and I;m working in a plastic factory at minimum wage! I hope this changes soon. I graduated college 4 years ago.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2012, 9:42 pm

Scatmaster wrote:
I've read in Michael John Carley's book "Asperger's from the Inside Out" that out of those with autism who DO have jobs, about 2 percent are employed in the field that they were trained in. I've also read about a high unemployment rate in the population, despite technical skills.

I chose my computer career about the time I first got interested in computer hardware & software. The worst part was choosing whether to take the hardware or the software route. I decided that it was easier to go the way of the programmer, and here I am. However, I do long for having a job where I can also make use of my hardware skills.

I have reflected upon the social challenges, especially considering support cases, and so far people like the way I answer their questions and solve their problems. However, phone support is far from my strongest trait and I do my best on a forum or face to face.

I haven't changed career paths, no, at least not yet :)
But should you end up in doing so, be aware that you may need to take up an education or training in that field before they even think about considering you.

I essentially did what helles suggested, I went for my main interest and planned everything out. Even if one education doesn't work, there are lots of other educations and training that can relate to your interest. Another tip is to keep it broad and see what options you have with your current competences and what options you have if you build upon your current competence and get additional education in a field that opens more doors for you, but still something you have an interest in.

I also agree on doing a lot of stuff that can eventually end up on your CV, including voluntary work. Also keep a portfolio of projects you have been involved in, not only from previous jobs, but also from projects you were in at school. As an example of how handy it can be, I give you an example. In the 2nd semester of my CS education I made an educational game while working together with 3rd and 4th grade kids and their teachers. Currently i'm applying for a job at a school as a computer technician, with the ad expecting an interest in the use of IT in education. This gives a little treat on the CV, something that ties your application "package" with the job advertisement, thus giving you a possible advantage over the other applicants.

LinkedIn is a great career-building tool, and gives to an opportunity to easily reel in recommendations from previous coworkers and bosses and networking with them. Making a website for yourself is also a good way to go, especially in IT, as it gives you a possibility of showing off your previous work (eg. programming projects). Both of these can give you valuable opportunities in the future.

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2012, 8:18 am

Yes, I went to tech school for aircraft maintenance and that is currently what I do. I started that school because my dad threatened to kick me Out of his house if I didn't start school. The school was very cheap and I got tuition paid by working FedEx. I never put any thought about social interactions. Been licensed five years now, the last two I've been contracting, so I work at a place for a few months then move to another city. This has proven to keep other people at bay. I'm going to either Dallas or Hawaii next, not for any reason but that I can.