No, but I do pick my skin. 23%  23%  [ 35 ]
No, but I stim in other ways. 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
I don't meet the requirements for participating in this poll. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 151

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 8:42 pm

Re: skin picking, I can't stand rough spots or bumps, inconsistencies in my surface tissue, so I pick, scrape, scratch, whatever I have to do to flatten out the skin & get rid of the rough/bumpy bit.
Drives me batty to have itches I can't scratch, wish I could find a companion who was also well-versed in how important it is to have a grooming partner (for those of us who are into that).
Used to bite my fingernails, but my teeth fell apart so now I just chew my cuticles & the calloused skin around my fingertips-I really enjoy it, tastes better than most food to me (yeah, I have sensory issues !)

sapphickakapo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2021, 2:13 pm

Hi I picked my nose until I was eleven. I constantly tried to stop and felt awful about it. Thinking back it was 100% a stimming behavior. Shortly after I stopped picking my nose I started picking my scalp, which is a stimming behavior I currently have. Doing it immediately sends me into a trance, it’s so calming. I don’t have a ton of stims but the ones I do have are incredibly effective. I’ve also noticed other stims I’ve had over the years that I was forced to stop doing, and I think I developed nosepicking and scalp scratching/picking because I was forced to stop the others, like spinning in circles(I would do it during soccer games and on the playground and people would get pissed at me so I have to stop), dancing(my sister verbally lambasted me for that one, I used to love to dance in public, and just couldn’t help it sometimes). I also have an awful nail biting issue I’ve ALWAYS had. I also pick my toenails, really bad until they bleed. When I was younger I would put them in my mouth to bite off their nails :lol: I was dedicated. But naturally my parents forced me to stop that too, so now I lost that flexibility - what a shame. I still pick them though. :wink:

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 8:26 pm

I don't skin "pick" so much as dig. Unless I already have scab or split skin from it being dry. Then I "pick"

Anyway I'm not entirely sure if it's related to the Aspergers or just my stress/depression. I didn't start picking at my skin until middle school; which was an extremely stressful time for me. The behaviour has just stuck since then

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 7:08 pm

Yeah I pick my nose all right, in private.

I believe that more people pick their noses (and eat the contents) than they let on. The more someone is repulsed by the thought of nose-picking and is adamant that they'd never do such a gross thing, chances are they probably do pick their nose when no-one is around. :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 7:21 pm

Sometimes when I'm bored or restless I search through the jungle of thick hair on my head with my fingers. One time I had a scab on my scalp that I couldn't stop picking at. Actually whenever I do get a scab I can't stop touching or picking at it even though I know I risk getting gangrene when I do and wonder what is wrong with me?! 8O :lol:

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

I pick at any irregularities on my skin like scabs/acne/etc. because I get a compulsion to do so. I have so many acne scars from it and I look like a crackhead in public when I pick at my face. lmao

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 1:25 pm

I pick on my lips and skin around my nails a lot. I don't know if it is considered stimming.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 5:00 pm

There is not a human alive, male or female that doesn't do a little nasal housecleaning once in a while.

:twisted:

Peter Cox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2021, 11:16 pm

I *think* normal non obsessive nose picking for me.

Callouses of skin however, bumps and non-smoothness... oh man... it's amazing if a day goes past I don't try to scratch or rip something off. I've amassed a good collection of 'spots' to go to. lol. So gross. Luckily they're all pretty hidden.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 5:01 pm

Gentleman Argentum wrote:
There is not a human alive, male or female that doesn't do a little nasal housecleaning once in a while.

:twisted:

This. The way I see it, there are 2 types of people; people who "dig for gold" in their nose once in a while, and liars. :lol:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 2:46 pm

What is the appeal of TV shows such as 'Dr. Pimple Popper?'

STORY explains the appeal of shows like 'Dr Pimple Popper.'

LINK to STORY: This Is What It Means if You Enjoy Watching Pimple Popping Videos:
A sociologist Explains the Strange Appeal of Watching Someone Else Attack Their Acne.

P.S. I refrained from answering ANY part of this thread's poll - not even the 'I don't meet the requirements for participating in this poll.' option!

LINK: https://www.menshealth.com/health/a2594 ... sychology/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 May 2021, 12:01 am

I had very BAD skin eczema as a kid & I would very often scratch till I bled. Some of that was due to me stimming when stressed, anxious, frustrated, angry, ect but a lot of it was cuz of my Atopic Dermatitis flaring up. It is very hard for me to resist the urge to scratch when I have an itch. I was bullied a lot when I was little partly because of my skin sores & being bullied made me scratch even more. I outgrew it in my teens, Atopic Dermatitis can sometimes improve in your teens & I was at a better school where I was not getting bullied as much. Unfortunately it started coming back again after I hit 30. I think being in a better mental state helps me not scratch as much but my skin itching is a major factor as well. I do pick my nose but I have BAD sinus & allergy problems that cause my nose to be clogged & stuffy. Picking my nose is mostly due to my nose being uncomfortable & having a hard time breathing out of it instead of a stimming behavior. I'm on a few meds for allergies but they only barely help. I am on a few meds for my mental health as well & those help a good bit. In the poll I voted for~ Yes, and I also pick my skin.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2021, 6:37 am

i used to bite my nails as a youth . it was a feedbackloop between myself and several others .. lol .

skin picking .. i do not so often now . i have all spot marks on my arms . people probably think i inject . no .. its just an addictive habit

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

15 May 2021, 11:22 am

I have problems picking at my skin or destroying it somehow. I don't think for me it is a stim. I'm just an anxious person. My mother used to pick her skin as well. I am very stressed about lack of control and I think that's where it comes from. I have gotten better at avoiding it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 May 2021, 2:51 pm

SpottedMushroom wrote:
I have problems picking at my skin or destroying it somehow. I don't think for me it is a stim. I'm just an anxious person. My mother used to pick her skin as well. I am very stressed about lack of control and I think that's where it comes from. I have gotten better at avoiding it.
I consider skin picking due to anxiety a form of stimming if it is a repetative habbit that you do when your not really thinking about. It's just that anxiety is the cause of the stimming bahavior like how autism & ADHD can cause stimming behavior

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

15 May 2021, 7:50 pm

nick007 wrote:
SpottedMushroom wrote:
I consider skin picking due to anxiety a form of stimming if it is a repetative habbit that you do when your not really thinking about. It's just that anxiety is the cause of the stimming bahavior like how autism & ADHD can cause stimming behavior

That makes sense, except it is something I think about a lot and if I do it, am fully aware.