that is the crux of the question.
if it is "lam", and it isn't "isn't lam",
there's no philosophical indigestion.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

first off:
b9: suggesting arabs get easily irritated and muslims are prone to fanatisism made me irritated. the quran doesnt actually say virgins. i was told by a muslim woman that the correct translation is actually pure women.

ryuven: have you ever wondered why there is antisemitism among arabs? israel constantly commits crimes against arabs and muslims in the name of judaism, trying to pass off apartheid and violence against an entire people as jewish. if it keeps repeating this then people will not associate these actions with zionists but with jews. that being said i am happy to say that antisemitism in the arab community is relatively low and most people do not bear any grudge against jews. though it varies with which parts and generally mirrors that of society around them- western society is just as antisemitic. also how often do zionists call out "death to arabs"?

islam has contributed much to art, past and present. their religious teachings around portraying gods image means that there is much symbolism and use of geometry in their art and they have the most gorgeous calligraphy. everytime i go to a lebanese restaurant i spend ages looking at the walls and the framed calligraphy in enamel.

also comics- the 99. (im a comic nerd, i cant not mention that).

?Whatever happens and even if I get beaten up a second or a third time, I will remain in the union. It is my soul,... If you knew what was happening inside the company, you would understand why I think like this.?- Spinneys workers union leader, lebanon.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

VMSmith wrote:

ryuven: have you ever wondered why there is antisemitism among arabs? israel constantly commits crimes against arabs and muslims in the name of judaism, trying to pass off apartheid and violence against an entire people as jewish. if it keeps repeating this then people will not associate these actions with zionists but with jews. that being said i am happy to say that antisemitism in the arab community is relatively low and most people do not bear any grudge against jews. though it varies with which parts and generally mirrors that of society around them- western society is just as antisemitic. also how often do zionists call out "death to arabs"?

i

Muslim hatred of Jews goes all the way to the time of the Prophet (PBUH).

ruven

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:32 am

ruveyn wrote:
VMSmith wrote:

i

Muslim hatred of Jews goes all the way to the time of the Prophet (PBUH).

ruven

Maybe they got incensed after they read the Talmud.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:41 am

More diversity also meaning more delicious food? :D Also being humble and respectful to others as well as more logic.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:45 am

Arabic and Persian and other of those cultures contributed quite a lot, if you know the whole history. But Islam itself? Not much at all, as far as I can tell.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

I am not a muslim, but Islam has been negatively portrayed in modern times. This is because Islam has been hijacked by extremist ideologies like Wahabism and Qutbism. Before Wahabism was founded in the 18th Century, Islam has been very tolerant. I oppose the Saudi wahabi funding of mosques as the wahabi ideology causes extremism. I think Muslims should turn away from Wahabism/Salafism and turn back to the tolerant Classical Islam. I think you should watch this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvAICJ77c4[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 7:02 am

Laconvivencia wrote:
I am not a muslim, but Islam has been negatively portrayed in modern times. This is because Islam has been hijacked by extremist ideologies like Wahabism and Qutbism. Before Wahabism was founded in the 18th Century, Islam has been very tolerant. I oppose the Saudi wahabi funding of mosques as the wahabi ideology causes extremism. I think Muslims should turn away from Wahabism/Salafism and turn back to the tolerant Classical Islam. I think you should watch this video.

No hijack. What you see is the Real Islam which is a sociopathic stew of violence and submission.

The so-called moderate Muslims won't stick their necks out and protest the bloodshed and violence for fear of reprisal.

ruveyn

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 7:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
Laconvivencia wrote:

No hijack. What you see is the Real Islam which is a sociopathic stew of violence and submission.

The so-called moderate Muslims won't stick their necks out and protest the bloodshed and violence for fear of reprisal.

ruveyn

ruveyn, a couple of years ago, the Pakistani sufi muslim scholor, Tahir ul Qadri has written a Fatwa on Terrorism, which proves that what the Al Qaeda is doing is against Islam. back in 2009 another Pakistani Sufi Scholor called Safraz Naeemi spoke up against the Taliban and was assasinated. Watch this videos Ruveyn.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS9j_aul7io[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

^ ^ ^ ^

Count the bodies.

What percentage of suicide bombers are Muslim. How much protest against Jihadis is done by "moderate" Muslims? Where was the Million American Muslim March Against Terrorist on Sept. 12 or thereafter? The silence is deafening.

Devout Muslims would not know what a right is if it bit them in the a**.

ruveyn

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

The Middle East and Asia did contribute a lot, yet one should not confuse all these places with the ideology of islam. It appeared when Arabic and Persian civilizations were flourishing and they flourished until militant islam and likely other things as well, undermined them. I do not know much about these cultures, yet reading this article provides a perspective of which a lot of western academics are oblivious.

Quote:
For one thing, I had a very difficult time following a so-called religion whose founder and followers had butchered my ancestors, raped and sold our women, burned our libraries, and destroyed our magnificent culture. Islam was forced down the throats of Iranians with the sword of Allah. In my heart, I never considered myself a Muslim. However, I didn’t reveal this until later in life for fear of retribution by radical Muslims.

TheWolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

As a Muslim, Islam has taught me self-control and living my life in the best way possible.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:16 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Here is what the Jihadis have done for me. They have painted a target on my pink Jewish arse.

ruveyn

PINK 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O ......I always wondered. :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
I don't agree with your 3rd rule, In recent history there aren't any inventions, just innovations.

I have a hard time thinking of anything (not just arabic or muslim) that would fit that criteria that couldn't be said to have a predecessor.
iphone is a type of cellphone, Alexander graham bell with the phone.

I know you didn't say that it couldn't have a predecessor but it seems like if I were to say "muslims created cellphones" you could say it doesn't really matter because we already had phones so it was only a matter of time until some other group made cellphones

True invention and creation is in the realm of ideas.

Examples: The Greeks invented axiomatic mathematics starting with Thales
The quantum of energy, right out of the head of Max Planck
Calculus -- first invented by Archimedes, then lost, then re invented by Leibniz and Newton
Gravity as geometry. Right out of the head of Albert Einstein. Had Riemann lived longer it might have been him, but he died all too young.
Concepts of symmetries as members of a group. Right out of the head of Evriste Galloise. He died way too young in a stupid duel. He showed the quintic is unsolvable using his invention - group theory.

To innovate, one must first invent. And it is ideas that are created ex nihilo (as it were) with the help of the Muses.

ruveyn

Oh! Galloise.....what a waste of a perfect good mind :( sincerely

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:30 pm

Well hey did create algebra and excellent poetry.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:57 pm

They gave me a dang good cab service and customer service at my local gas station, oh and the local Smoke 4 Less is run by muslims