Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

They can go extinct because they're only a subspecies of rhinos? And no, there aren't really plenty of rhinos left. Only in this last century people have managed to reduce the rhino population to only a few hundred.

Of course animals fight over territory and mates. Such things are natural. Although Paco is a pretty submissive dog, Sissy is quite an aggressive cat. She gets furious whenever she sees another cat in the yard, even though she's inside. She'll start yowling and scratching at the glass. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to get a kitten. She's too used to being the center of attention and the queen of the house, and she's very territorial. But they don't fight or kill just to keep as trophies, or to make money off them like some people do. While it's true that nature isn't always pretty, but it maintains a balance.

But when a new male takes over the pride, he kills the cubs so the females will go into heat and have his cubs. It's to pass on his genes. I've always found how lions and other animals interact with each other interesting. I like to watch Paco and Moncho interact with each other, seeing who gets to sleep on the more comfortable doggy bed, who eats first, how they play, and how they communicate. It's so interesting. Although I've read a lot about felines, and prey animals, I have quite a bit to catch up on with canines, so I can know what are the best toys to buy for Moncho, and how to discipline and house train him. Oh, wow, that's so neat that you got to have cats when you were little. My parents didn't really like cats until we got Sissy. Now they adore her.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

persian85033 wrote:
They can go extinct because they're only a subspecies of rhinos? And no, there aren't really plenty of rhinos left. Only in this last century people have managed to reduce the rhino population to only a few hundred.

Of course animals fight over territory and mates. Such things are natural. Although Paco is a pretty submissive dog, Sissy is quite an aggressive cat. She gets furious whenever she sees another cat in the yard, even though she's inside. She'll start yowling and scratching at the glass. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to get a kitten. She's too used to being the center of attention and the queen of the house, and she's very territorial. But they don't fight or kill just to keep as trophies, or to make money off them like some people do. While it's true that nature isn't always pretty, but it maintains a balance.

But when a new male takes over the pride, he kills the cubs so the females will go into heat and have his cubs. It's to pass on his genes. I've always found how lions and other animals interact with each other interesting. I like to watch Paco and Moncho interact with each other, seeing who gets to sleep on the more comfortable doggy bed, who eats first, how they play, and how they communicate. It's so interesting. Although I've read a lot about felines, and prey animals, I have quite a bit to catch up on with canines, so I can know what are the best toys to buy for Moncho, and how to discipline and house train him. Oh, wow, that's so neat that you got to have cats when you were little. My parents didn't really like cats until we got Sissy. Now they adore her.

So you are basically admitting that animals do everything you said they don't do, but its ok because it's nature. There's a balance. You are holding people to a higher standard than you do animals, so therefore you are just as guilty as the rest of us humans in thinking that we humans are superior.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

I've never felt superior to other creatues. Quite the contrary, I have always admired, loved, tried to understand them, and respected them. And their habitats, too. Sometimes I feel so terrible to be human, with all the destruction humans cause. I find it difficult to imagine a world without lions, rhinos, tigers and so many other species which are critically endangered, which at the rate people are going, we're going to talk about them the way we do about dinosaurs. I look at my pets and the birds and other animals outside, and I feel a deep respect for them and admire how others survive in the wild. They're all part of something, part of an ecosystem in which all of them play a particular role which contributes to the whole, whether they're prey or predators or scavengers, or whatever, they're all part of Earth. People aren't.

Where people go, almost inevitably there's destruction, destroying habitats and polluting. My biggest shame is that I belong to the species which hurts all others. Even when you try to talk sense into them! I've spent years trying to make my parents see reason, to change their ways, to do something simple like recycling, turn the light off. My parents, especially my dad says it makes no difference, and anyway, the endangered species are endangered because they are meant to be extinct. The same with all other species. I couldn't have been more horrified just because even that has a limit to how much horror one can feel. Besides, I'm pretty sure the reason he drives the car he drives because he knows it can pollute twice as much in one trip as all the traffic put together in one day. He doesn't do more to help pollute because he doesn't have time to invest in it. I don't wish to destroy Earth. Quite the contrary. Kind of like in Stockholm, or in Denmark. The people there are making an effort to use less fossil fuels and nuclear power. They make an effort to keep their cities clean. I've always wondered what motivates those people, and why unlike most people they have good hearts and care.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Legendwind
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

persian85033 wrote:
Cats on the other hand, catch mouse/birds/snakes, for fun. They can go out filled up on store bought food, and go find a snake to play with and kill. When there is a powerswitch in a pride of lions, the new leader kills off all the cubs to get the females in heat faster, but also because it's not his cubs.

The cat does not kill out of malice or cruelty. The cat kills the snake because the movement of the snake stimulates the cat's predatory instincts, much like a twitching piece of string. Both incite the same reaction; the cat is not killing the snake because it wants it dead or because it wants to cause it pain; you will notice that the majority of cats will leave an animal alone when it stops moving or when it is dead because the cat is looking for movement to stimulate it; when it can't be found, the cat loses interest. There is a world of a difference between a cat killing a snake and humans killing animals for the sake of recreation.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 11:22 pm

Animals have no malice,they do not hurt for fun,only to survive.It is the law of nature that all beings have the right to eat,protect their offspring,mates,territory,but they do not torture,only humans do that,they don't hate,the white cat is not prejudiced against the black cat,they do not exterminate thousands of people because they are a different race or religion,they don't destroy the earth,I would destroy the humans before the animals,the planet would get along just fine without us,it did before,I am not opposed to hunting,the deer here are over populated and there are no natural predators to keep the population regulated,they can get chronic wasting disease from over population.A human will deliberately run over a snake in the road or even a turtle for fun but animals don't kill for fun.I've had a lot of people make me feel really bad on purpose but never an animal.Animals don't build factory farms either,how many of you have seen the inside of a commercial chicken house?Talk about inhumane!Read A Dog's Tale by Mark Twain.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2012, 2:32 am

I am better with non-human animals and I am me with non-human animals where as with humans I am stressed and 'someone else'. I have 5 pet rats who I love and cannot imagine life without. However, I live in a supported home and I find the humans mostly irritating but I do like the cat.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:21 am

Misslizard wrote:
Animals have no malice,they do not hurt for fun,only to survive.
Well, I said they "go out filled up on store bought food", so our cats definitly do not kill to survive. Yesterday it brought a forrest pigeon inside through the cat entrance, and plucked the feathers of it while it were still screaming and twitching. Luckily it died fairly quickly (3-5 minutes of horror, but I could not bring myself to killing the bird any faster than it died).

I know it is instinct to chase laserpointers and kitty toys, but I also know our cat do not use his claws when he plays with moving things together with us, and he do use his claws when he kill a bird, so there is not ONLY instinct in play, they do have some kind of intelligence/knowledge of when it is for food/survival and when its for play. Lion cubs playing together do not wound eachother when they hone their skills by pretend fighting.

I think it is narrowminded to believe that only humans torture. Individuals can be exiled from packs. Occurrences of chimpanzees commiting brutal group murder on one of their own has been filmed. Animal packs have a social ladder where they highest up have it better than the ones on the bottom. Animals have feelings and thought processes too. Feelings can be hurt, thought patterns can be degrees of abnormal because of said hurt feelings.

Another thing I've noticed with housecats is that they usually don't eat their prey, they bring it home proudly to display it to their owners. "Look what I caught!". I have not studied cats, nor have I read too much about them, I am basing my answers on national geographic shows and experience from living with cats for 32 years. I do however pay attention when I see tv shows, hear conversations or read news regarding cats.