Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 7:15 am

guitarman2010 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE my electronics and this tablet I'm using right now is one of my obsessions. I also love my "Hush" guitar, which is basically a Strat-copy that I pieced together from a couple different guitars. It has stickers all over it and each one has it's own meaning and I painted "HUSH" on it. The significance of Hush is it was a nickname I was given many years ago because I was (and still) a very quiet person, verbally that is lol. I've had different obsessions throughout my life and when I was younger some examples include Legos and bicycles. One definite obsession I have that has been there as long as I can remember is flashlights, I usually carry some kind of small flashlight or penlight on me at all times :)

I love instruments like that - ones that have personality. I like the ones that look worn and old (as long as they still function as they should), as well as the ones that were just modified a bunch by the owner, like yours.

I've done a -lot- of modification to my instruments. I converted two basses and one guitar to fretless. Did some modifications to the finish on my j-bass (and I have more planned in the future), as well as some modification to the surface of the fingerboard (to make it more slick - easier to glide the fingers across), and the texture of the back of the neck. I also do all my own electronics work on the instruments. I've installed pickups, potentiometers, etc., done my own re-soldiering. Might be installing killswitches on all of my basses and guitars soon too. A killswitch is a button or switch or something, which cuts off the sound when you press/flick it - it makes lots of cool sound when you tap it over and over in patterns and all that (I can do it now on my Les Paul with one of the pickups volume turned to 0, by flicking the pickup toggle back and forth).

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 11:04 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
Atomsk wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
Then I worried I wouldn't get attached to the new one like I did with the old one but I have, although I felt very guilty about the old one.
I felt things like that a lot with the stuffed animal - just guilty whenever something on it would wear out. I repainted the eyes many times on it, because the original paint wore off, and then the replacement eventually wore off, etc.

I did that too, lots of painting on of eyes and brushing of fur. I know what you mean by the guilt. I understand that feeling of being torn between a new and exciting special interest and the old, familiar things.

btbnnyr wrote:
I am obsessed with my bunny slippers. I have two pairs of bunny slippers that I wear during different times of year. I felt terribly sad when I put away my pink bunny slippers for the winter to wear my gray bunny slippers for the summer. I also have the desire to acquire moar bunny slippers, but not all bunny slippers meet my high eggspectations of quteness. This post probably sounds like a joke, but I am being completely serious. I love and am obsessed with my bunny slippers and bunny slippers in general.

It doesn't sound like a joke, that makes perfect sense to me. I am the same, when I like something I want to have lots of them just to be 'safe', but like you I am quite picky.

ECJ wrote:
I have a big soft cuddly Chick, which I'm very attached to. Her name is Chickee. If I'm nervous I put her in my bag and take her with me, and she always comes with me to see my psychiatrist.
I have others of the same type of Chick toy, but am only attached to my current one. I don't care about her appearance - her fur is a bit matted now, and she's turning grey. But I won't wash her because then she won't be the same.
I also have a soft cuddly cat that is threadbare and has many holes, but I can't sleep without her.

Sometimes if work is really stressful I take my Piglet toy to work in my handbag and when I'm on my break I can put my hand into my bag and hold onto it, without anyone noticing. I can't sleep without a stuffed toy.

I do the very same thing with a small stuffed dolphin I have...and I also can't sleep without at least one stuffed animal. :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Jenibear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2013, 5:54 am

I have fixations like this too. My longest standing one, has been with my teddy bear that I've had since I was a kid.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

I do this with a lot of things. I have some toys that I would be extremely stressed about if they got damaged, including my teddy bear that I sleep with, who I've had since I was 4 years old. If something happened to him, I wouldn't be able to sleep.

I also have a fixation with my 3DS XL. I just like holding it so I can stim with the stylus, and i like the fact that I just have it. It wouldn't be the same if I had another one, even if it were the same color and everything.

The biggest fixation I have is probably my jewelry I wear. They are good stimming tools, especially my rubber bracelets-- I've broken a good few just twisting them and twirling them. I just enjoy my necklaces cause the charms are really neat, and fun to play with while I'm sitting in class. I would be upset about losing one of my necklaces, but I'm not as worried about losing or breaking my bracelets since I'm so used to going through them.

Jenibear
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

That's just like how I am with my teddy bear too, lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2013, 12:17 am

I'm just as obsessed with Routemasters as I was seven years ago. I just don't spam it all over WP these days.

T F
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2017, 10:35 am

I know this is a 4-year old thread, but I wanted to say thank you for making this, because I never knew people had similar fixations/obsessions as me and I didn't know what was going on with me. Thank you for making me feel less isolated!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

Yes, I have always fixated on somewhat unusual objects. I remember one time I was very attached to this stick in the yard, and my brother’s friend/neighbor came over and started breaking it and I cried. I have also been attached to certain dolls, books, leaves, etc. I am now attached to a toy Squid and some books.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2017, 11:38 am

Yes, big time. I realised what the connection was - I attach to objects that are edged or textured, usually plasticy.

I'll carry it around and sleep with it. If it's lost unintentionally it's like my soul breaks.

The ones I remember... As a toddler it was a little Bambi figure (rubbed down so it's barely recognisable), young childhood an eagle, older childhood a little circular piece of plastic, adolescence a plastic mole, bouncy ball, bendy rubber and plastic car, adulthood coloured paperclips, and currently a fidget spinner wheel.

The circular piece of plastic has been fished out of a toilet before, then when I lost it for good I had a full on public crying fit (past the age that'd be acceptable). Schoolfriends smashed the car as a prank and I flipped out and strangled one of them. Not my proudest moment.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 5:26 am

My most intense object fixation would have to be ethernet port connections, usually on the backs of gaming consoles like Xboxes and PlayStations but any ethernet port connection will do. In my mind I'm visualizing a connection to the world and my imagination simply runs away with itself when I stare at these things. I can stare at them for quite some time up to 20 minutes at a shot. I fancy myself a computer nerd so this is the thing I'm fixated on the most by far.

If this object is not immediately available, I like to wander through the stores in malls close to closing time when there are fewer people and fixate on the objects in specific stores that they sell. Examples include: European luggage Samsonite, watches, Tesla Model S's, model toys from the Warhammer 40,000 universe, paintings by Canadian painter Robert Bateman oh, and of course, another favorite, anything in the Lego store.

Those objects are regular stops in my routine when I go to the mall. The same stores every time. I love my routines. They make me happy.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

fruitloop42

24 Nov 2017, 10:26 pm

I still sleep with a teddy bear I chose from the toy shop on my 5th birthday. I'm 35. I've never washed it and I keep wondering whether that makes me kind of manky :/. I just keep thinking....I should probably wash him at some point.

When I was at school I had a wolf ornament I loved. He fell on the floor and his face smashed, so he lost most of his head. He became the headless wolf. I still used him as a mascot, and I had a rock he used to sit on on my desk.

I have a box at home full of random things I like to keep and look at sometimes. Some things are just rocks from certain days, a plastic spoon and some sugar packets I made very bad art with at school, a ruler...they all signify something.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 1:59 am

I like curbstones, they are part of the road and pavement's uneasy pact. I can't really drag them back to put on a table or something but I've always found myself inspecting and touching and comparing them to other curbstones, they are a very important part of our world and deserve our respect and attention!

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2017, 4:10 am

fruitloop42 wrote:
I still sleep with a teddy bear I chose from the toy shop on my 5th birthday. I'm 35. I've never washed it and I keep wondering whether that makes me kind of manky :/. I just keep thinking....I should probably wash him at some point.

Me too! I had a teddy bear since 1982 - from grade 2 until my last high school year and then we moved and I lived out on my own and he got lost somewhere. His name was Bruno O'Bear and I was very very upset that we misplaced him.

In the last few months I've been thinking a great deal about him so I simply went out to the store and bought another teddy bear and named him Bruno O'Bear to honour the first Bruno I misplaced. He looks a little bit different from the first Bruno, in fact he looks like a ferocious grizzly bear from the Canadian Rockies with brown fur. Whereas the first Bruno was a more traditional-looking teddy bear and he had gray fur. I sleep with him every night now, once again, and he makes me feel not alone anymore and very very happy.

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)