Do you hate having aspergers and how can I deal with it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2012, 6:32 pm

NateRiver wrote:
The school won't help me btw because I'm high functioning.

That's ridiculous that the school won't help. I can see why it could happen, but if you have an Individual Education Plan (IEP), the school has a duty to accommodate it. If they aren't, they are not doing their job. In some countries, it is a law to accommodate disabilities in school, and just because the term "high functioning" is there does not mean they get a free pass..

You should be getting regular meetings between your parents and the special education teacher regarding your needs. On top of that, you should have counselors in schools now who can talk to you about any troubles you have, or at the very least, guidance counselors who can help you with your school needs. If you have a special education teacher in your school, they should be the person to talk to.

If for some reason you do not have access to these accommodations, I found it very helpful before I was diagnosed to find a teacher who was empathetic to me. I could talk to her about school issues, and because she was a good teacher, she cared about my education. If you haven't already, tell the teachers of the specific subjects specifically where you need help in those subjects, and what you don't understand. At the very least, they could offer some insight into how to improve. They know your work better than I could ever know it, so they can see where the difficulties lie. If you feel you need extra accommodation to do well, then bring it up with them. I found that teachers can be pretty flexible, as long as you approach them with specific questions and possible solutions.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2012, 6:38 pm

If a Dx by a psychiatrist shows that I truly have Asperger Syndrome, then I will be very grateful for it.

Because then I'll have the key to why I've been such an oddball person compared to the rest of the world.

So instead of dwelling on my past and all the crummy things that have happened, I will use this new-found information regarding AS to learn to cope more appropriately with others, as well as continue to revel in the traits that make me wholly unique.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:19 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
Your written English seems really good to me. Maybe you are being a bit hard on yourself? Lots of people with AS don't have special skills, or have special skills that don't have much use (for example I can read a book in a matter of hours, and I can remember dates and numbers but these don't help me in my day to day life at all).

I'm sorry you are being bullied, I'm sure that is a very common experience of people here. I went to four different schools and was bullied in all of them! My school-days really were the worst days of my life, it has got better since then. I'm sure it will for you too.

I think Scatmaster's advice is good, if there is a teacher you can speak to about how you feel and what is happening that might be a good idea.

I think for you and the OP it's a question of finding how to use your skills. For example, you are a fast reader. You could work as a proof reader. Nate is good in science, well not all scientists perform math, there are programs that will crunch the data for almost any task, you just have to input the data.

I'm still working on what to do with my skills. I could tell you that you were born on a Wed. and joined WP on a Mon. but you probably have an iPhone to tell you that. Be happy that you guys have useful skills.

Yes I can proof read very well, and I have proof read and corrected other people's University dissertations, which is a little comical as I left school at 14. The problem is that because I have no qualifications, I have nothing to prove that I can even read and write, as far as employers are concerned.

Knowing the days like that is amazing, that would be a great party trick - it's a shame that Aspie people don't often go to parties.

That just means you need to get the certifications. I know that can be a long process but you just have to do it. I'm in college now and I'm in my late 30s. I'm getting a piece of paper to prove that I can do what I've already been doing for years. Why? because it will open doors for me in getting to where I want to go. It's a waste of time IMO but it's the way thinks work. Sometimes you have to work with the system or sit on the sidelines.

P.S. It's not a great party trick at the kind of parties I used to go to. :lol:

Clearly we have gone to very different parties :)

You are right about going back to studying, I have been toying with the idea for a few years now. When I have a job I might consider re-taking the basic qualifications I would have got in high school. You can do them online.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:38 am

Quote:
Being "high-functioning" can really backfire that way. It's like people assume that it means you never need help and never have any problems. In reality, it means nothing at all. There are so, so many "high-functioning" people who don't get the (usually minor) accommodations that let them take advantage of education, contribute in the workplace, participate in society. And it makes me mad, because I've been there, and because it isn't right. Just because the accommodations you need are minor, doesn't mean that they're unimportant. They are just as important as a wheelchair ramp, a sign-language interpreter, or an aide.

I agree. Most people with high-functioning conditions look able from the outside, but on the inside they struggle on certain things that most people can take for granted without much hassle. It's not fair because Aspies who claim disability living allowance benefits are at risk of getting prosecuted because they have an invisible disability. I have a friend who is high-functioning but is claiming DLA (because they need it for different reasons) and she is so worried in case people might think she's OK and might get her into trouble.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:46 am

You know I was just thinking about the 'taking things literally' thing. Earlier, when I first read the title of this thread, "Do you hate having aspergers and how can I deal with it?"; I wondered, "why would he have to deal with somebody hating AS?".

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Scatmaster wrote:
NateRiver wrote:
The school won't help me btw because I'm high functioning.

That's ridiculous that the school won't help. I can see why it could happen, but if you have an Individual Education Plan (IEP), the school has a duty to accommodate it. If they aren't, they are not doing their job. In some countries, it is a law to accommodate disabilities in school, and just because the term "high functioning" is there does not mean they get a free pass..

You should be getting regular meetings between your parents and the special education teacher regarding your needs. On top of that, you should have counselors in schools now who can talk to you about any troubles you have, or at the very least, guidance counselors who can help you with your school needs. If you have a special education teacher in your school, they should be the person to talk to.

If for some reason you do not have access to these accommodations, I found it very helpful before I was diagnosed to find a teacher who was empathetic to me. I could talk to her about school issues, and because she was a good teacher, she cared about my education. If you haven't already, tell the teachers of the specific subjects specifically where you need help in those subjects, and what you don't understand. At the very least, they could offer some insight into how to improve. They know your work better than I could ever know it, so they can see where the difficulties lie. If you feel you need extra accommodation to do well, then bring it up with them. I found that teachers can be pretty flexible, as long as you approach them with specific questions and possible solutions.

Yeah, I asked for a reassessment with an education psychologist LAST YEAR. And they replied A YEAR LATER and said it's not needed because I'm so high-functioning. I exploded last year and they took my behavior as "attention-seeking" which I find sickening.

I don't get regular meeting about my IEP plus everything that the school promised on my IEP never happened. Like I would be given this time out card! I wasn't given this " time-out" card. The school are absolutely horrible to me and my problems with ASD. Just because I'm a girl and its not that bad! Doesn't mean it still isn't bad. The only reason why my very high functioning friend is getting help because he's lazy. I'm not lazy and I worked hard to become what I am today;although I still do have problems. Which haven't been yet with and still trouble me everyday.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

It's also a pain when your condition is so mild that you have odd ''kinks'' in your personality what are there but you can't quite pinpoint. I have this problem. Most of my AS traits don't show, but there is (and always will be) something a bit ''off'' about me, something what other people can't put their finger on, and what I can't put my finger on either because it's so minor yet it's there, disrupting my ability to pass off as NT 100 percent, if you know what I mean.

It's best to be either severe or just normal, not in between. When you're in between, you get it worse. People get confused with you, and also afraid, because they find something ''off'' about you in the way you speak or just your personality, causing friendships to become only temporary. It's not always me, it's other people not being able to handle my minor differences. Some people do, but most can't. Another thing, when I'm out in the street I get the worst glares of all by self-centered f*****s because I am in that position where I'm half-normal and half-have-something-wrong-there (again, something so minor and trivial that I can't adjust or improve because I can't find what it is that's so noticable, and other people can't put their finger on what's so different either, so they choose to stare and unnerve me instead, f*****g selfish c***s, who says NTs have empathy?????! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !)

So, yeah, I got to put up with this s**t for the rest of my life I suppose. Great. :roll: :x

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2012, 5:34 pm

NateRiver wrote:
Yeah, I asked for a reassessment with an education psychologist LAST YEAR. And they replied A YEAR LATER and said it's not needed because I'm so high-functioning. I exploded last year and they took my behavior as "attention-seeking" which I find sickening.

I don't get regular meeting about my IEP plus everything that the school promised on my IEP never happened. Like I would be given this time out card! I wasn't given this " time-out" card. The school are absolutely horrible to me and my problems with ASD. Just because I'm a girl and its not that bad! Doesn't mean it still isn't bad. The only reason why my very high functioning friend is getting help because he's lazy. I'm not lazy and I worked hard to become what I am today;although I still do have problems. Which haven't been yet with and still trouble me everyday.

Ugh I know what you mean. I had to go through school undiagnosed and left to my own measures, but I was able to get extra time on tests when I brought my issues up with disability counselors. But I rarely used the accommodations they permitted because of the attitude of teachers. The teachers weren't too happy about the extra time I took, and thought I didn't need it.

Still, I've met some very enlightened people on the subject of AS in the field of education. It gets better in university too, where a large portion of students needing disability services are on the spectrum. Lol at that point, all the students they cater too are high-functioning enough to be able to perform at a high academic level.

Anyways, you need to get help from the teachers now before it is too late. You risk falling behind, or missing out on learning subjects where you clearly have an interest. Just make lots of noise to higher-up staff, like the principal. Explain how your needs are not being met and also how it's the school's duty to meet them. Further more, show that you could take legal action by siting school policies on students with disabilities, and if you feel it's relevant, site the law.

They are likely also thinking that you will keep quiet about your needs not being met. The more you bug them about it, the less of a choice they have. Be your own advocate. Get a parent or a supportive adult to help you too, so you don't have to do this alone. Also, parents tend to have more of an influence on staff, since parental support keeps schools running. This is because parents can switch the kid to another school if they feel the need, and know how to hold school officials accountable for their actions. I'd also suggest for you to think about switching schools if you have no other options.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2012, 4:58 am

You're not alone then. I hate it too (aspergers), more than anything else in my life.

I also have problems with socializing, bullying, behavior, and expressing myself.
I also dislike music, but not for the reasons you've stated. I just aren't interested in it, in any form.

I don't share your problems with math, language, or drawing, in fact i'm good at those (especially math). However, I do have my own problems other than what I said above, such as irrational fear/anxiety/paranoia. Everyone of us is different, and have different problems. But we have something similiar, a common problem - which is, ofcourse, AS. Which is probably the main cause for our problems in life.

oh btw your English seems good enough for me, maybe you have a communication problem, not a language problem?

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 5:13 am

Callista wrote:
That's not exactly helpful, you know. If you say "deal with it", you really have to offer some tips on how to deal with it. Otherwise you're just being annoying.

You'd have to deal with that and your assumptions.

We all have to find our own tips to deal with these things (advice isn't our own).

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2012, 5:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's also a pain when your condition is so mild that you have odd ''kinks'' in your personality what are there but you can't quite pinpoint. I have this problem. Most of my AS traits don't show, but there is (and always will be) something a bit ''off'' about me, something what other people can't put their finger on, and what I can't put my finger on either because it's so minor yet it's there, disrupting my ability to pass off as NT 100 percent, if you know what I mean.

It's best to be either severe or just normal, not in between. When you're in between, you get it worse. People get confused with you, and also afraid, because they find something ''off'' about you in the way you speak or just your personality, causing friendships to become only temporary. It's not always me, it's other people not being able to handle my minor differences. Some people do, but most can't. Another thing, when I'm out in the street I get the worst glares of all by self-centered f**** because I am in that position where I'm half-normal and half-have-something-wrong-there (again, something so minor and trivial that I can't adjust or improve because I can't find what it is that's so noticable, and other people can't put their finger on what's so different either, so they choose to stare and unnerve me instead, f***ing selfish c****, who says NTs have empathy?????! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !)

So, yeah, I got to put up with this sh** for the rest of my life I suppose. Great. :roll: :x

I GET THIS TOO. Plus, I don't have aspergers I have ASD. Even my parents think I have aspergers because I'm high functioning. But I do have ASD because I had a cognitive delay in my language. But yeah, it's so annoying.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

I hate having Aspergers. Everyone avoids me, even my family. I stutter when I talk to strangers, most of the time. I cannot make friends. I am lost at how to handle intimacy. Most of all I am alone completely! Mentally and physically.

It gets so lonely and I hate myself because I cannot be like everyone else. I feel cut off from the world and get depressed a lot because of it. I program computers, build Linux distros like arch, work with micro controllers to occupy myself. Constantly learning to no end just to occupy my wandering mind. I don't know how anyone with this aweful curse could ever deal with it.

Its like we are in a life long prison watching everything and everyone pass us by. Communication is the key to unlock the cell door but people with ASD developing communication skills is as likely as a gay person becoming straight. I don't believe that bull crap about when you get older you develop skills like some members here claim happens. So I don't want to hear that!

This **** is a curse!! Not just for us but for everyone around us! I collect $700 a month here in NJ. Not enough to be on my own. So I have to rely on my family. I look at it as being a burden.

Jorymo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2012, 10:46 pm

Hm... Think of the good! I see people who wish to be like everyone else. But that's the thing- everyone's different. If everyone were the same, we'd still be cavemen clubbing our meals. It is diversity and difference that allows us to advance. It is illogical to linger on the negative.
You have better grammar than most people I know that are older than I am. About those who are messing with you, just know, that you are the stronger person. Just know that one day, YOU will be on top. But you can't do that in your current state; self-hatred is counter-productive and pointless. Accept and embrace who you are.

Just pull through. You could have it so much worse. You could be brain-dead, blind, bed-stricken, but you're not. Get over it. I'm an Aspie and find no curse, as I am not being pessimistic about it. Some say how god-awfully unsocial they are, but- you came here, didn't you? You went on here and spoke.
If computers are your thing, work for a computer company, try to do the very best. If you are awesome with dates and times, you could be an accountant, or maybe a historian.

I may seem blunt, but be positive.