Should I see if my current Special Interest stays?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Should I see if my special interest goes before buying a robot kit?
Yes - Wait! 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
No - Go and buy it before it goes! 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

I've suddenly became REALLY interested in robots and robotic engineering. Now i am desprate to make a robot. But I don't know if I should just wait to see if it passes because I have quick ever-chaning special interests!! !
So, I constructed a Poll and your advice is appreciated! To my parents, I'm notorious for buying something, and not using it due to my ever-changing special interests!

Also: How long should I wait?

Thanks!! !!

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

I voted wait. This has been a lifelong struggle for me, the question of whether to spend money on a new interest. The answer nearly every time is that there's no harm in waiting, but there can be some harm in jumping in with one's pocket book too soon.

Sometimes it can be a compulsive thing, buying to satisfy a new interest. If you are feeling that tug that has nothing to do with logic, beware. I find that my special interests are passions - and that's an emotional place from which to make spending decisions.

Keep reading, researching, learning. You know yourself, and your patterns of interest. Keep observing them (as if you were an outsider looking on) and see how it goes for a while.

Just my suggestion, as someone who has regretted a lot of purchases made impulsively. You will feel so good later if you do lose interest and haven't spent money on it. There's no loss if you stay interested and spend later instead of now. Regardless of what any sales advertisements say.

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm

Thanks! I think it's harder on my parents s I don't tell them unless it's been there for more than a month! I was interested in robots this time last year! But last year It was mainly WW2! =)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm

I guess it really depends on how big the investment is; if it's like $10 then I'd go for it, if it's more like $100 then I'd probably wait. The trick is determining how vital this purchase is to sustaining your interest; if it would die out without it due to lack of fuel, and you really think it's an interest that you don't want dying out, I'd buy, if however it's just a fun accessory that can add to the enjoyment of the interest without being a fundamental piece of it, then I'd wait and see where it goes. I can usually tell when an interest has developed for me, and mine usually stay around long enough to make all "early-in-the-interest" purchases worth it, however, I have had experiences where I tried to push myself into an interest that didn't really catch on, and have spent time and money trying to cultivate something that was destined to fail.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 1:57 am

I would say the same, I know myself how very difficult it is to do this, but I would say at least two weeks, for me a short interest is normally over after two or three and it works better, now I always doubt myself a bit more after I've had over £180 spent on an interest, which is still ongoing. When I was younger I never spent money, if I wanted something interest related I made it from what I had, I would see what you think happenes!

chaines321
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2012, 2:36 am

I have that problem with my interests changing after I've bought things from it, but now I just tell myself that it can be a remembrance for that time of my life and that interest that I had. I've also been lucky to go back to that interest after a while. I usually wait a little though, so it will probably be safe to just wait a little.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 4:50 am

I say you should buy some books on the subject first, like you say you like robotic engineering, well, get some books explaining how machinery works or maybe stuff related to innovations in robotics. I kinda did the same way with my life long interest in aviation, I could never fly, but I started buying books on navigation, map reading and am trying to improve my math too. See if your interest still persists after going through some reading materials and really getting into your current obsession.

If you lose interest then maybe something else will come from it, perhaps a latent passion for engineering or machines?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:45 am

To add to StarTrekker's post, I think having a kit to mess around with and confirm would be ideal sicne you would be able to get the hands-on experience and potentially make a cool robot.

I am currently considering going into robotics too; it seems a big staggering in difficulty though.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist