Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

Interesting.

TheSunAlsoRises

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

Another task that I suck at is spatial memory.

Spatial memory is where you see a grid, like four-by-four, and the squares flash one at a time, and you have to remember the order in which they flashed. I suck at this. I can barely remember the order of five flashes. This task was mentioned in the paper that I linked. The researchers said that although spatial memory seems like it would be a visual task, that most people ackshuly use a verbal strategy to remember the squares that flashed in order. Autistic people perform not so good on this task, but on a different task, where they show you multiple specific objects in different locations, then cover them up, then show you one object at a time and ask you to answer the location of that object, autistic people performed well, because the objects, unlike the squares on the grid, were visually discriminable, and it was easier for non-verbal thinkers to remember their locations. And I have always done very well at this type of tasks, but terribly at the other.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Spatial memory is where you see a grid, like four-by-four, and the squares flash one at a time, and you have to remember the order in which they flashed. I suck at this. I can barely remember the order of five flashes.

I can only do 5 or maybe 6 on a good day. Oddly for me I use a sort of visual technique for these. I try to make a shape out of the pattern of flashes. I then remember the shape.