Cat amongst the Columbiformes (warning: potential ramble)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

WienerSchnitzel
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2005, 7:25 pm

So. After reading many of your posts I am beginning to come around to the idea the idea that I may register on the AS spectrum. However, I am reluctant to immerse myself too heavily and declare myself from another planet. Like most things in life, our individual qualities in life lie within a normal distribution - a distrubution that is in fact "normal". ASers are not like full blown autistics and there are reports of AS just being the extreme end of the male personality.

We all have a place and our predicament is not that different from many others with other types of social impediment. Take for example body/facial/clothing fascism - I am sure that many of you, like myself, judge others and have our own personal human trait likes and dislikes. Many of my friends I can't stand the overbearingly social types - hence, in addition to other common interest, we have become friends.

I am afraid of becoming a die-hard outcast, championing the AS cause and "giving in to it". After reading some of the more militant posts in Aspies for freedom, I feel that AS sufferers/blessed (delete as neccessary) should not isolate themselves further. True, ASers may not fit in everywhere, but in my experience, there are some amongs the NTs who value us quirky people. Humans generally do need social interaction and ASers do seek it, but just find it harder to achieve than others. It is surely dangerous to encourage isolation.

Although I have managed pretty well so far, the twilight of my 20's has prompted me to think about what I want from life - and ideally I think I want the same as most. Perhaps I will find happiness with another quirkster, in fact I thought I had, but my emotionally ret*d state evenntually put her off. Understanding and acknowledging AS traits could help us overcome them or at the very least begin to feel comfortable with them.

I think I might be losing my thread (those Morgan Spiced Rums are kicking in), but I think I want to say that although these foums are very useful, and in my case very comforting to know that other go through similar things., but could be taken the wrong way.

When talking to one of my friends I conveyed some of the common social anxieties, many of which he could to relate to. Whether he suffers them as bad, or can overcome them, it's hard to tell. Again this comes back to the idea of normal distribution. After this conversation I then re-addressed whether I have AS.

Overall, I would be interested to know if anyone else seems to be at this cut off point between AS and just socially awkward. I suppose I will need professional advice, but would be keen to know of anyone's personal experiences.

Sorry for taking up your time.

M

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2005, 7:49 pm

yeah, we can live normal lives just like NTs. There is just a little bit of a social struggle. Its not like we're unable to take care of ourselves.
A

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2005, 8:54 pm

I don't think this board encourages isolation. I've found that posting here has made me much more willing to socialize in real life, too. Why, today I had two decently long conversations with people I don't know all that well without any awkward silences! I'm learning to just be more agressive to participate in conversations.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2005, 9:22 pm

WienerSchnitzel wrote:
Overall, I would be interested to know if anyone else seems to be at this cut off point between AS and just socially awkward.

There are a lot more characteristics that make a person have AS than just social awkwardness. Most people with AS are socially awkward, but not all people who are socially awkward have AS.

WienerSchnitzel wrote:
I am afraid of becoming a die-hard outcast, championing the AS cause and "giving in to it". After reading some of the more militant posts in Aspies for freedom, I feel that AS sufferers/blessed (delete as neccessary) should not isolate themselves further. True, ASers may not fit in everywhere, but in my experience, there are some amongs the NTs who value us quirky people. Humans generally do need social interaction and ASers do seek it, but just find it harder to achieve than others. It is surely dangerous to encourage isolation.

I completely agree with you. The whole idea of 'I have AS, that is just the way I am, the world just has to deal with it' is definitely the wrong way to go about things. We have to live in this world, therefore we are the ones who must adapt.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 5:28 am

Exactly my thoughts. I don't accept my AS and I probably never will. I'll always be fighting against it.

WienerSchnitzel wrote:
Overall, I would be interested to know if anyone else seems to be at this cut off point between AS and just socially awkward.

With AS, you just know, somehow. I didn't know what I had before I was diagnosed, but I always suspected I was subtlely different from everyone else.