I don't know, just show the results 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Turner

Quote:
Nathaniel "Nat" Turner (October 2, 1800 – November 11, 1831) was an American slave who led a slave rebellion in Virginia on August 21, 1831 that resulted in 60 white deaths and at least 100 black deaths, the largest number of fatalities to occur in one uprising prior to the American Civil War in the southern United States. He gathered supporters in Southampton County, Virginia. Turner was convicted, sentenced to death, and hanged. In the aftermath, the state executed 56 blacks accused of being part of Turner's slave rebellion. Two hundred blacks were also beaten and killed by white militias and mobs reacting with violence. Across Virginia and other southern states, state legislators passed new laws prohibiting education of slaves and free blacks, restricting rights of assembly and other civil rights for free blacks, and requiring white ministers to be present at black worship services....

Turner started with a few trusted fellow slaves. The rebels traveled from house to house, freeing slaves and killing the white people they found. The rebels ultimately included more than 70 enslaved and free blacks.

Because the rebels did not want to alert anyone to their presence as they carried out their attacks, they initially used knives, hatchets, axes, and blunt instruments instead of firearms. The rebellion did not discriminate by age or sex, until it was determined that the rebellion had achieved sufficient numbers. Nat Turner only confessed to killing one of the rebellion's victims, Margret Whitehead, whom he killed with a blow from a fence post.

Before a white militia was able to respond, the rebels killed 60 men, women, and children. They spared a few homes "because Turner believed the poor white inhabitants 'thought no better of themselves than they did of negros.'" Turner also thought that revolutionary violence would serve to awaken the attitudes of whites to the reality of the inherent brutality in slave-holding, a concept similar to 20th century philosopher Franz Fanon's idea of "violence as purgatory". Turner later said that he wanted to spread "terror and alarm" among whites...

You may read The Confessions of Nat Turner here:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... ntext=etas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8lmCWLDCs[/youtube]

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jun 2012, 4:28 pm

What exactly did he do that was heroic? He murdered innocent men, women, and children and set the stage for more violence.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

Having read his Confessions, I'm voting "Villain" on this one.

He was an unusually intelligent man. But, he went around with his gang murdering infants and small children.

He didn't have any viable plan--he just thought that he had some sort of divine mandate to kill White people.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

Jacoby wrote:
What exactly did he do that was heroic? He murdered innocent men, women, and children and set the stage for more violence.

He was getting even for being treated like an animal. Payback is a b***h.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Neither. I think he, the men he lead, and the people they killed were all in essence victim of a time, place, system, ultimately of history. Its one of those situations where like many you could play it over 10x, 1000x, 1 million times, it would have both happened and ended the same.

As for violence as purgatory - I think it made more sense at a time where there was absolute zero in terms of public forum or freedom to express an opinion.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:43 am

Definitely not a hero.

I wouldn't say villian, but I don't respect mob mentality of any kind, and this is certainly mob mentality.

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2012, 2:54 am

Hero and Villain are really limited ways of looking at people.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

Rainy wrote:
Hero and Villain are really limited ways of looking at people.

Yes, I know. The poll is for the Black and White choice. The discussion is for nuances.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ruveyn

I almost never take the side of child killers, but in the instance, the wealthy southern planters reaped what they had sowed.
It should be remembered, he spared poor whites, because he recognized they were hardly any better off than black slaves.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

ruveyn

I almost never take the side of child killers, but in the instance, the wealthy southern planters reaped what they had sowed.
It should be remembered, he spared poor whites, because he recognized they were hardly any better off than black slaves.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Those who sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind.

ruveyn