Page 6 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 10:49 am

As far as I know there is brostep, darkstep, deathstep, dungeon, liquid, glitchstep, drumstep...

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 11:05 am

Uprising wrote:
As far as I know there is brostep, darkstep, deathstep, dungeon, liquid, glitchstep, drumstep...

8O

/scurries off to YouTube

glow
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 6:02 pm

kouzoku wrote:
Actually there is more than one type of dubstep.

Call it what you like but its no type of 'genre' its a mater of taste not a scientific opinion

forkful_of_soup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2013, 2:20 pm

To me, dubstep sounds like a fax machine trying to have sex with a modem. It grates on my nerves and I don't get the appeal. But to each his own.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

Not especially, no. It is too unpredictable for me. I do, however, enjoy trance music. Trance is all about repetitive bits and slow ramp up to any change in melody. It is relaxing to me in a way that most other music is not.

I recently learned of a type of music called electro swing. It was an entirely accidental youtube discovery for me. I really like it. It's catchy and energetic. Swing beat and time signatures work pretty well in tandem modern electronic bass beats and so forth.

PhantasmBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2016, 4:12 am

forkful_of_soup wrote:
To me, dubstep sounds like a fax machine trying to have sex with a modem. It grates on my nerves and I don't get the appeal. But to each his own.

HAHAHA! I searched before starting my own thread to see if this had been addressed. I was wondering if dubstep was painful to other aspies, like it is to me. I describe it as robot sex, or sounds of the apocalypse. It *literally* makes me sick. My stomach knots as soon as those sirens kick in. Or the modem. I can't handle it. A song can be totally fine and then, BAM, they get those noises in there and it's all over. And I LOVED dance music pre-2010...

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2016, 4:14 am

PhantasmBear wrote:
And I LOVED dance music pre-2010...

So do I.

Seriously went doooownhill in the last decade. Or im just getting old :lol:

PhantasmBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2016, 4:22 am

TheForeverMan wrote:
PhantasmBear wrote:
Seriously went doooownhill in the last decade. Or im just getting old :lol:

My friend, who loves all that noise, told me he read a "funny conspiracy" that dubstep contained frequencies that were considered weapons by the military. Or something like that.

The thing is, I can hear dog whistles and WAY beyond that (my friend pulled out his phone to check this years ago). I wondered if my sensitivity to high frequencies made me more aware, maybe, of something in this painful music? Are YOU? Can any of you hear dog whistles, and does that make one more sensitive to this music, either positively or negatively?

TheForeverMan
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2016, 4:30 am

PhantasmBear wrote:
The thing is, I can hear dog whistles and WAY beyond that (my friend pulled out his phone to check this years ago). I wondered if my sensitivity to high frequencies made me more aware, maybe, of something in this painful music? Are YOU? Can any of you hear dog whistles, and does that make one more sensitive to this music, either positively or negatively?

I still can hear up to 20KHz. And goddamn RF emissions, like from old CRT televisions.

I think the pain threshold comes more from dB level.

PhantasmBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2016, 4:53 am

TheForeverMan wrote:

I still can hear up to 20KHz. And goddamn RF emissions, like from old CRT televisions.

I think the pain threshold comes more from dB level.

I can hear that stuff, too.

Definitely not the volume. I like to listen to music loud enough to feel my organs vibrate. I loved going to shows before having kids. It's the sounds. Like I said, I want to vomit. It makes me nervous and sweaty. My husband loves it. Sometimes I can make it 1/3 of the way through a song before a particular sound happens and I lose it. "Make it stop! No more robot sex!"

Monty1776
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2016, 8:10 am

I really, really do not like dubstep, dance, electronica, etc. AT ALL. It makes my ears hurt and my brain want to fall out.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2016, 4:58 pm

I'm not into it at all. I'm sorry. It's too loud with too many aspects to focus on in my opinion which makes me get overwhelmed quickly.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

I like some Dubstep but it's not my favorite kind of music. I don't like the "brostep" like Skrilix that is super aggressive. It sounds like heavy metal to me. The idea is to be as loud and rough as possible. I'm in my 30's and I remember a time before Dubstep was mainstream and the artists back then did not have that same sound.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 8:06 pm

Just like N.T.'s, it appears to be a polarizing genre among aspies.

I can see sensory problems being associated with dubstep.

It use to be my favorite genre of Electronic before I discovered House and then Trance.

I've still got a soft spot for some of it, and it's alright in short bursts, but too much of it and I'll quickly be getting a headache, even if I don't want one.

I honestly think I prefer Drumstep (fusion of Drum n Bass and Dubstep).

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 6:55 am

I've never really liked dubstep. I like music that has an actual tune to it. Every time a dubstep song starts to hit a rhythm it just goes and ruin it with more random, incoherent noises.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:27 pm

It's actually a combination of multiple layered distorted basses (yes, an electronic song can have more than one 'bass' sound, usually a Sub, Mid and Upper Bass), usually with massive and quick filters on them moving up and down and on and off at fast rates, the percussion of course, and a whole lot of other random robotic sound effects and ambient noise to fill-out the rest of the space.

I can't for the life of me do it.

Melodic Dubstep does exist, but it's relatively rare in the genre.

Sabreclaw: If you like Electronic but not Dubstep, have you tried Nero or Pendulum? They are Dubstep and Dnb. These are two of their most pop-sounding songs, so if you give any of these a listen go in with low expectations: