Page 7 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 11:27 pm

It's actually a combination of multiple layered distorted basses (yes, an electronic song can have more than one 'bass' sound, usually a Sub, Mid and Upper Bass), usually with massive and quick filters on them moving up and down and on and off at fast rates, the percussion of course, and a whole lot of other random robotic sound effects and ambient noise to fill-out the rest of the space.

I can't for the life of me do it.

Melodic Dubstep does exist, but it's relatively rare in the genre.

Sabreclaw: If you like Electronic but not Dubstep, have you tried Nero or Pendulum? They are Dubstep and Dnb. These are two of their most pop-sounding songs, so if you give any of these a listen go in with low expectations:

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 6:14 pm

I'm one of those people who orget they like something, until they play it back to a time they can remember..

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

No, it gives me a headache. When I'm watching tennis, I have to put on the mute button, when that techno pop music comes on in the time between sets.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 1:16 pm

In my opinon the darkest possible dark electronic music appeals to me perfectly. I don't like the way that most of music sounds like, like they are so happy, so light only made to appeal the most of people, because they don't affect me in any positive way, but only in empty. Breathtaking music in my case needs to be psychedelic, dark, shocking, controvential and alienlike. Then I experience it as a beauty, like it's a true shocking-beautiful revelation for me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:00 pm

fselzr wrote:
In my opinon the darkest possible dark electronic music appeals to me perfectly. I don't like the way that most of music sounds like, like they are so happy, so light only made to appeal the most of people, because they don't affect me in any positive way, but only in empty. Breathtaking music in my case needs to be psychedelic, dark, shocking, controvential and alienlike. Then I experience it as a beauty, like it's a true shocking-beautiful revelation for me.

You'd probably like 1997-1999 dark drum n' bass a lot.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:07 pm

I started seeing dubstep on DNBA back in 2004 or 2005, didn't really like what I was hearing. I think it took me until maybe 2008 or so and around that time I started hearing sort of loony/artsy stuff by guys like Dubchild, Benga, Skream, Rusko, Zomby and I also stumbled into Mala and Coki's stuff - Mala's pretty close to the center of a lot of what I like in the genre. I also liked the more techno-leaning stuff that guys like Skuba, Pinch, Peverelist, and 2562 were doing.

As far as what I'll still listen to of it today - some of the older Digital Mystikz stuff, also I get a lot of mileage out of Silkie's City Limits 1 and 2. One of my favorite tunes by him:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2017, 5:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if people on the spectrum were drawn to it. One of the key symptoms is sensitivity to different sensations, and dubstep is one of the few styles of music you can literally feel. When it's done right, you don't just feel the bass in your body, but also in your head. It's actually disorienting. It can be such an intense sensation that I actually find it really enjoyable.

Of course, this is only for real dubstep, when it's done right. Unfortunately, when most people think of the genre they only know manic, annoying BS like Skrillex, where the bass is just midlevel, so it doesn't have the appropriate effect. Fans of the genre have actually come up with a derogatory term for that sort of thing, "brostep."

As far as EDM goes, I like the rave genres (goa, breakbeat, progressive house, DnB). I like the heavy, dark dubstep. But in general, the only electronic genre I've really immersed myself in is the experimental/noisy part of industrial (Test Dept., SPK, Einstürzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, Factrix, Ministry).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:15 pm

Some more specifics:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 10:37 pm

Nother beauty I was trying to remember...

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 11:55 pm

It's as appealing to me as strobe lights are for seizure prone folks.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
It's as appealing to me as strobe lights are for seizure prone folks.

I think intense sensations can be either really positive or really negative for people with AS, it just depends on if we are able to appreciate the enjoyable aspects of the experience, while being able to cope with the overwhelming parts. An easy example for this might be food. I actually love really rich food, really fishy seafood, and a lot of strange foreign foods that most people find gross. At the same time, I literally can't stand dill pickles or olives. I've actually puked a couple times from pickles. So it just depends on if the sensation is to your taste.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

As someone who likes to think of himself as an all-around appreciator of music, I can listen to dubstep, but it's not one of my favorite genres. When it comes to electronic music, I'm more into stuff like psytrance.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2017, 10:12 pm

I can't stand the stuff

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2017, 10:13 pm

I can't stand the stuff

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

I like some dubstep music. I do like them more when it's mixed in with rock or even metal. Korn's Path of Totality album sounds really good in my opinion.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

I don't really like it, I think it is something that could be incorporated into electronic music...but an entire song of that noise? no thanks. Like if an electronic song has a dub-step sounding part for a bit that then goes into something else then it can sound pretty good but when it goes on longer it just starts getting annoying.

I also don't much care for whatever electronic music that sounds like its building up to something epic, only to go into generic sounding party music essentially. Is like with all that building up you'd think something cool and intricate might happen...but no just party music with obnoxious vocals.