Why are there so many people who don't wash their hands...

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

conan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

Pipilo wrote:
Actually, I agree that it is not a good idea to be a sanitation freak. If our homes are overly clean, we won't be able to build any immunity to normal pathogens in our environments. And frequent sanitation can lead to super-bacteria, as we usually manage to destroy the weakest ones and leave the toughest ones behind. In fact, current research on allergies and asthma links them directly to cultures which tend to oversanitize their homes. Third world kids rarely have asthma. Also, a few parasites also seem to be healthy, and research suggests that the components of our immune systems that evolved to fight bacteria are now "out of work," and are fighting harmless pathogens instead, like pollen.

Bacteria are also a normal inhabitant of our skin, and unless you are immuno-compromised, you should not get sick from the bacteria that normally colonize your body. But, when it comes to hands, several issues remain.

1. Viruses are never normal inhabitants in our bodies, and can make us sick. We develop resistance to viruses we meet a lot, but can become sick when we meet new ones. I always wash my hands when I've been out in public.

2. If I have a virus, I can easily get others sick if I use poor hand hygiene. If they happen to be immuno-compromised (many people are), I can be endangering their well-being.

3. Feces are not healthy to eat. We probably have some resistance to the normal bacteria in our own bowels, but again, the people around us, or using the shopping cart after us, may not.

4. So even if I know I never get sick, something left on my hands could easily get someone else very ill. So when I'm feeling indifferent to my own health, I think about the health of others, and wash my hands.

OK, since we're talking about all this stuff, and since this is one of my special interests, I just want to say that bacteria are unbelievably amazing organisms. They evolve, they communicate, they reach out with finger-like projections and touch each other, thereby transmitting critical information about how to fight the evil armies coming to destroy them. And they win! we can never destroy them, not entirely. I love them for that. On a scale of one to ten, how weird would it be to get a bacteria tattoo? I'm not always the best judge of when something is too weird.

a bacterial tattoo would be great!

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 6:07 am

Engineers and mechanics wash their hands before going to the toilet...

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

RazorEddie wrote:
LOL, well I'm not an engineer or mechanic, but there are times when I wash both before and after, to keep from getting something on my clothing.

BTW, I once heard a physician's assistant talk about washing one's hands after the bathroom (in the context of how people get hepatitis from eating in restaurants), and I won't go into graphic detail about bacteria and the fluids in feces, and how many layers of toilet paper it takes to prevent them from getting on your hands. I'm sure you get the idea already, and I don't remember all the details. It's easy to think "I have no germs that will hurt anyone" but we all have a pretty varied gut flora and some of what's there isn't good, and while it might not make a young, healthy person ill it could make someone who's immune compromised or has recently taken antibiotics (and killed some of their own more balanced, healthy gut flora) ill. It really is best to wash one's hands in order not to leave germs around that could harm someone else.

Old habits die hard, though, and I'm still adapting to the newer sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow rule myself. But my biggest concern with hand washing is that i don't want to be responsible for making others ill. When I have a cold or flu I stay away from people, as much as possible, and become more obsessive about washing my hands.

That said I agree we can be too clean, and being obsessive about sanitation can be as unhealthy as the other extreme. When I was young, obsessive housewives bleached everything. It's now known that bleach is a carcinogen, and I don't think it's a coincidence that one aunt whose house was always spotless and smelled of bleach also later got breast cancer. I seldom use bleach now - vinegar is almost as effective and a lot safer. When I do use bleach I'm much more careful about the amount and the circumstances.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:29 pm

RazorEddie wrote:

Yup, you know you work in a biological or chemical lab (or something similar) when you consider washing your hands before going to the bathroom more important than after.

On the original note, people not washing their hands after using a public restroom is why I ALWAYS use a paper towel to use the door handle. I also use a paper towel to turn off non-automatic faucets, their handle are amongst the filthiest things in public bathrooms.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

I find not washing hands after visiting toilet disgusting. People who don't wash hands can get parasites and contagious diseases, and this is rather unpleasant.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jun 2012, 10:47 am

Uprising wrote:
...after a toilet visit?

In my country, people seem to be too lazy to wash their hands even after a poop, it disturbs me, knowing that I always wash my hands after a wee and do it more than once after a poop. I also keep my nails incredibly short so there doesn't get any filth underneat it.

I guess I'm a weird case then.

I also shower daily, while most other people over here do it like once every 2 days or even 3 days.

Is sanitairy hygiene being overlooked these days or what?

I do as you do... Cleanliness is everything! I wash my hands as a courtesy and as a habit, even if I just go in the bathroom to get a pill or something. I like to hear hands being washed before the bathroom door opens, and I like to return the courtesy.

Charles

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

My ex didn't always wash his hands after using the bathroom, which I found really disgusting. Sometimes when he came out, I'd ask him to rub my back a little and say it was randomly hurting... Just so at least he'd wipe his hands on my shirt a little bit, before trying to touch my face or something! LOL

Dauthrsbane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

Well soap creeps me out so I never use it. I rinse my hands quite frequently though.