Page 1 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 10:48 pm

When I was in school,I was the most unpopular kid there.Now,that I left school and made LOTS of new friends,but I don't know if I should consider that popular.I guess I am in between.

-SpaceCase

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

21 Nov 2006, 11:26 pm

I consider myself in the well-liked area. Nobody hates me, and nearly everybody thinks well of me. However, I'm not popular enough to make random people go 'Hey Tim, whazzup?'. Personally, this situation is a dream come true!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 11:34 pm

Hmmn.

Due to my polarising nature, people either despise me or fear me, or love me.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Nov 2006, 6:51 am

Who cares? I never understood that all-possessing obsession some people have with popularity, especially middle schoolers.

*shrugs* There are people who like me. There are almost certainly people who don't, although they don't bother me and I do try to bother them. The vast majority of people do not know me--it's very similar to KBABZ's situation. I'm just as pleased by it as KBABZ is, too. :P

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2006, 8:05 am

SolaCatella wrote:
Who cares? I never understood that all-possessing obsession some people have with popularity, especially middle schoolers.

Don't even remind me of middle school... the more distance I have from it, the more the experience reminds me of those melodramatic Disney channel shows.

Actually, Elementary school's quite brutal, as well... but somehow, I managed through that.

Popularity, like fitting in, is another metric I don't really care for because it's only a measure of how society percieves you. Honestly, I have little idea of the truth that society says about me.

You also have to consider positive popularity and negative popularity, as both in fact exist.

{beginning of rant}

I had a friend... scratch that out... I knew someone when I was in tenth grade who was possibly the most negatively popular student in the school. He was popular in the sense that everyone knew who he was. But everyone, when they knew who he was, either ignored him or made fun of him. Both behind his back and in front of his back.

In front: "You're to gay to be here."
Behind: "Do you know this boy--total fag. He smells of old math homework and looks like Harry Potter."

That's how popularity works. I NEVER understood what people hated about him. I found that he behaved amazingly normal (although a suspicious bit trustworthy) for a person in such a difficult situation.

{end of rant}

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 10:27 am

When I was going to a larger school in the same town, pretty much only a few people (almost all of whom were in a higher grade than me) knew my name or who I was.
However, I decided to transfer out of there and instead go to a smaller school ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIL_High_School ), so most of people at my current school know me. I'm not exactly popular and I'm not even really anybody's best friend or anything, but I'm mostly respected for who I am and my name and face are recognized by almost all of the people I see on campus on a daily basis, and when I loiter around and read in cafes in the town's more artsy districts, I usually casually run into and say hello to people I know from school.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 11:02 am

I'm the quiet one but when I have my moments (usually when I know something others don't) I can be quite popular. :)

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Nov 2006, 11:16 am

aleclair wrote:
SolaCatella wrote:

Don't even remind me of middle school... the more distance I have from it, the more the experience reminds me of those melodramatic Disney channel shows.

*cracks up* Jeez, you summed it up perfectly, right down to the apparant brainlessness of half the characters/students. Thanks for the comparison; you just made my day.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 12:47 pm

I wouldn't say I am popular in school, though a few people know me though.

I don't care if I am.

Beno
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2006, 12:57 pm

Well-known but not very popular. I have friends, just not that many. I like it that way, anyway. Especially since most of my friends are freaks anyway, so it's a lot easier to associate with them.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Nov 2006, 5:09 pm

Tequila wrote:
I'm the quiet one but when I have my moments (usually when I know something others don't) I can be quite popular. :)

I was popular for what seems like a split second when my Dad brought home a copy of Pokemon Gold before it was out in NZ and I showed it to everyone in school (when Pokemon was cool). I liked it, as it was a change, but I didn't complain when things went back to normal. I was about 11 at the time.

Beno wrote:
Well-known but not very popular. I have friends, just not that many. I like it that way, anyway. Especially since most of my friends are freaks anyway, so it's a lot easier to associate with them.

You mean freaks in a good way, right? :)

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 7:13 pm

Not very...

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 9:00 pm

I have no friends so i'm VERY unpopular and i don't want to be popular....

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 10:40 am

It would depend on the year for me. At this school, I'm definently in the top five for popularity (not bad for a new student!). But at my last public school two years ago, I was hated by all. But at the school before that, I had an equal amount of friends and enemies. It was a huge school though, so I had a bunch of each. I'd have to say the peak of my popularity was second grade before I had to move. Some of the kids were even crying when they found out I had to move!

NavySEAL83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2006, 2:22 am

At times I'm the most popular kid in school and at times I'm the least popular kid in school...go figure.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 3:49 am

People hate me because I hate them.