Signs you should look for a new job?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aaahchu
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2012, 7:44 am

I study the general demenour of my manager in detail - what he wears (tie, belt, shoes, suit), how he looks (shaven, hairstyle), how he talks (slower, faster), what he does during his day (who does he talk to). I then also hang around the photocopy room to see what confidential documents are lying around at the end of the day and I read them all. If they are good material, I quietly take a copy.

By studying your manager - you can quickly identify differences and accord them to outcomes. For example, you might notice that when he is in a good mood he usually wears a particular tie. When he is worried about his day or is apprehensive about something (e.g. he has a big presentation to do which he is unsure as to how well he will do) he might wear a different sort of tie.

You can then statistically analyse all of this to determine the likelihood of outcomes. I have been able to successfully predict my firing every time by a number of months by noticing small changes in the way my manager dresses or interacts with me. The big hints are:
- When they dont seem to care about your performance review anymore and tell you "you are doing just great!" when you know you havent actually done anything
- When you dont get invited to meetings anymore
- When you notice them holding meetings with human resources on different levels - I try to follow them around the building by printing to different floors, acting as if I am going to the kitchen so I can walk past the meeting room and use the glass walls to see who is inside and what their body language looks like (then compare it to my body language decoding book)
- Asking other staff what they think is happening
- You dont get new work assigned to you or you get told "oh Bob will do that from now on"

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

aaahchu wrote:
I study the general demenour of my manager in detail - what he wears (tie, belt, shoes, suit), how he looks (shaven, hairstyle), how he talks (slower, faster), what he does during his day (who does he talk to). I then also hang around the photocopy room to see what confidential documents are lying around at the end of the day and I read them all. If they are good material, I quietly take a copy.
(...)
I try to follow them around the building by printing to different floors, acting as if I am going to the kitchen so I can walk past the meeting room and use the glass walls to see who is inside and what their body language looks like (then compare it to my body language decoding book)

I think that if my employee(if I had any) lurked around taking notes about me and I saw him/her following me and slacking around the photocopy room, I would fire him/her too. Just saying, perhaps your intense focus on your boss may have expedited your termination.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2012, 5:25 pm

In my case, I started looking for a job when I hadn't been put on the schedule since the end of March, with the excuse that things are slow. I also found that they did a similar thing with someone else I know who also has a disability since that person got hired first, then the agency contracted with Department of Rehabilitation got me hired as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

ooo wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
However, if your life will be worse without a job(speaking mainly of economy), then you best suck it up until you can find another job. In my country the state takes care of us for a year with 100% pay if we get sick, but I am aware it's not like that everywhere, so taking a sickleave is not an option for everyone, and a huge sickleave on the resumé is not appealing to any potential new boss.

True.

In this economy, it's best to appreciate any good job you've got. If you "hate" a job, look for another. Beats sponging off welfare if you have the aptitude and ability to work. "Hating" work isn't an excuse to not work-- that's utter lazyness. People don't want to work because not every job or every task at a job interest you. So what if you don't like doing something... you're getting paid to do it, and working is part of a meaningful and productive life. It would be a sad, sheer waste to sit at home sponging off welfare all day playing video games and internet just because you dislike the available jobs. If you have to work fast food or minimum wage for a while, so be it. That's taking charge of your life. If you physically can't work fast food, find a job in a quieter office or cleaning houses.

Sometimes you have to suck it up and either find another job, or do the one you've got the best you can.

Reasons to look for another job?
- Old boss retires or gets fired... new boss might want to hire their own staff.
- Company lays off a lot of people.
- Company profits decline even more.
- Poor office culture, backstabbing, immaturity.

Calm down dude. Besides if it's a good job why would one hate it? I've explained what I mean when I say a job I hate, if i had a good job I don't see why I would hate it, if it was a bad job then it would be more likely. And you can suck up all the crap you would like, but don't expect everyone else to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:06 am

ooo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post....I don't know thought my point would be more clear......but that wording was kind of a joke.

Refusing to work merely because you hate a job is what is considered lazy and unproductive. Furthermore, if you don't get welfare, you're penniless and have no money for food, housing, and living. If you do have welfare but refuse to ever do any sort of job, you're milking the system. Welfare should be for people who *need* it, and are truly unable to work... not those who merely refuse to work because they dislike a job.

I've already explained what I meant about hating a job, clearly you missed it..so read back, don't hijack this thread to talk crap about me considering welfare. You don't get to be the judge of who is truly unable to work or not...If I cannot find employment or keep a job due to my symptoms then I am going to see that as needing welfare if you disagree that's your problem.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:14 am

Blownmind wrote:
aaahchu wrote:
(...)
I try to follow them around the building by printing to different floors, acting as if I am going to the kitchen so I can walk past the meeting room and use the glass walls to see who is inside and what their body language looks like (then compare it to my body language decoding book)

I think that if my employee(if I had any) lurked around taking notes about me and I saw him/her following me and slacking around the photocopy room, I would fire him/her too. Just saying, perhaps your intense focus on your boss may have expedited your termination.

It would creep me out if an employee did this as well. That's just not normal.

Taking copies of confidential docs is a HUGE work no-no.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:17 am

ooo wrote:
Refusing to work merely because you hate a job is what is considered lazy and unproductive. Furthermore, if you don't get welfare, you're penniless and have no money for food, housing, and living. If you do have welfare but refuse to ever do any sort of job, you're milking the system. Welfare should be for people who *need* it, and are truly unable to work... not those who merely refuse to work because they dislike a job.

[/quote]

Working is a necessity. You work to get money to support yourself. Refusing to find any sort of job is lazy and entitled, sponging off the system. It doesn't matter if the job isn't "something I (you) don't want to waste your time thinking about" or a job "beneath your intelligence level."

Supporting yourself with any sort of job, good or bad, is taking personal responsibility for your life.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

Blownmind wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post.....

The logic behind my post were this; If you end up without a job, and consequently without money or a home, you might be worse off without that job, than "happily" without.

Yep. Having a job, whether "intellectually stimulating", or not means money. Having money to support yourself and have food/shelter, is better than having nothing. People work jobs they hate to take personal responsibly for their own lives and support themselves however possible.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:21 am

GumbyLives wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'm stuck because the social demands in this job have totally exhausted me. But that's often been true in other jobs I've had.

I would look for another job, making sure your current employer doesn't hear about it. Some offices are better than others, though poliking is common in a lot of places. Perhaps you could talk to the boss about doing some work days from home? Or,... finding ways that could make your current job more tolerable? More breaks? Earplugs? Different hours? I don't know.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 3:30 am

Considering the economy and our age: if your current job is making you depressed on evenings and weekends, I'd look for another one fast, because in such circumstances there's nothing to lose, since the new one can only be as bad and not worse.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

ooo wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I guess I don't see how continuing to go to a job I hated that much would make my life is better than going without the job.....but then what I see as a better or worse life is sometimes different then what others would define that way. Anyways I edited that post.....

The logic behind my post were this; If you end up without a job, and consequently without money or a home, you might be worse off without that job, than "happily" without.

Yep. Having a job, whether "intellectually stimulating", or not means money. Having money to support yourself and have food/shelter, is better than having nothing. People work jobs they hate to take personal responsibly for their own lives and support themselves however possible.

Well I'll have money to support myself....wether it's a job, welfare, I will call it having money to support myself and it will be better than having nothing I imagine. Why don't work jobs you like? does it have to be a job you hate for it to be considered taking personal responsibility? meh the notion that people should waste most of their life doing something they hate just to survive is not one I feel like defining my life by.

getting on SSI or finding part time work of some sort would be supporting myself however possible at least for the time being.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2012, 12:21 am

GumbyLives wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'm stuck because the social demands in this job have totally exhausted me. But that's often been true in other jobs I've had. So if I quit, I will lose benefits again, and have to start all over somewhere else - and maybe just have the same or worse problems come up in the new job too.

I always lock on to what boss or company says is SUPPOSED to be true or happen regarding work goals and such, but it always turns out to be pretty smoke. So I end up being the employee who worked their butt off and did a great job - but am locked in a quagmire of politics, games, and so on. I can do the work - but I can't understand or cope with enough of my coworkers to not get totally burned out again. So I'm a work-loser over and over again. Because I can't stop wanting my workplace to work like I'm told its supposed to work.

I am unable to get welfare or any other sort of assistance in this. My current boss is sympathetic, but can't change the work atmosphere either.

I'm exhausted again. And I don't see how to not just keep doing what I've done my whole work life. And I don't know whether to bother looking elsewhere anymore.

You're "told" it's supposed to work a certain way? Offices always have their plusses and minuses. Some have a faster pace, some a slower.

If you do your job the best you reasonably can, that's fulfilling your work goal. If other people don't fulfill their work goals, that's their problem-- maybe they'll be fired.

If you're bored at your job, perhaps you could change jobs within the company, or seek out other or additional responsibilities. Maybe come up with a side project to make it less boring.

If you're overworked, perhaps try to limit your hours to traditional work hours.

If you're bored in life, perhaps find evening/weekend hobbies or events to try. Then you have something to look forward to after work, instead of focusing on the work problems all day.

Why not look for jobs at other companies if you've been miserable at your job for so long? I suggest keeping your current job until you are officially hired at a new job, and not telling your current employer that you're looking for another job.

Work can be tiring, particularly socially, but you're making progress in your career, and are supporting yourself. That's a good thing. :)

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

Number one: if you don't get along with colleagues and they backstab you. Unfortunately, they could dislike you so much as to get you in deep trouble and essentially lie. It's not worth it. Listen to your instinct. If you feel like they're capable of doing that, GET OUT if you have a job lined up!

Number two: The workload is too much for the time allotted and you find yourself getting in trouble due to unfinished work.

Number three: They don't let you call in sick or make you feel guilty, especially when you really are sick! (e.g. pneumonia)

lexicon2600
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

Sounds like you need a vacation, not a new job.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

The only time I would quit is if I felt physically or emotionally abused at work. Otherwise, I'd stay put for the time being. The job market is just too competitive at the moment, and there are signs it could get worse. If you are unlucky enough to be in Europe or most of Asia, it will get worse.

Boom years will return, and there will be greater flexibility on what jobs to take. Until then, stay where you are, and make sure you can provide for you and your family.