Conservatism Makes the World a Worse Place Because...

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:45 pm

Raptor wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What I already said if you'd actually read it. I'll underline stuff this time.
Quote:
Mostly conservatives where I work but we're not that dull. Work cannot be a party every day, either, or nothing would get done.

U mad? Mr. not taking politics too seriously.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

Joker wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
"Conservativism" (or what passes under that name) doesn't seem particularly resistant to change. Most of them seem to want to do an unprecedented, radical economic experiment based on fairly whacky ideology. The radicals who want change all seem to be "conservative" now. It's like whacky radicalism jumped the left/right aisle lately.

Quote from our Conservative PM - “You won’t recognize Canada when I get through with it.”

That is because conservatism is all about traditon.

Obviously not, when they want to do radical makeovers. A fantasy tradition that never actually existed, perhaps. The whole "good old days" myth. But no actual tradition that existed - not these modern conservatives anyways. A 1950s conservative, yes, they were about tradition and the term "conservative" really did apply to them, but that's an extinct political species.

Last edited by edgewaters on 26 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

Everything needs to change Conservatism I am sure will go through some form of change.....I wouldn't hold my breath though 8O

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm

marshall wrote:
Why must working hard and having fun be mutually exclusive? Also, why must fun and joy be limited to the life of the party? Personally, I find most people's idea of "partying" to be boring. Alcohol doesn't make people more fun or interesting to be around, it makes them stupid and annoying. It seems conservative values pander to the stereotypical NT who must be prevented from goofing off and socializing rather than working and motivated with the simple carrot and stick method. Nerds and geeks who prefer work that interests them are put off by the dour Calvinist work ethic that has it's origins from the time when people had to toil in the fields 12 hours a day for their daily bread.

Very true, and I also feel that conservatives' need to turn both work and life outside work into a dour, "upstanding" thing is the source of their bigotry. If they see anyone actually enjoying themselves or not conforming to their stifling values and then faking happiness, they feel the need to lash out and destroy it because the dour conservative lifestyle is synonymous with frustration, unhappiness, repression, and misery.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
marshall wrote:
Why must working hard and having fun be mutually exclusive? Also, why must fun and joy be limited to the life of the party? Personally, I find most people's idea of "partying" to be boring. Alcohol doesn't make people more fun or interesting to be around, it makes them stupid and annoying. It seems conservative values pander to the stereotypical NT who must be prevented from goofing off and socializing rather than working and motivated with the simple carrot and stick method. Nerds and geeks who prefer work that interests them are put off by the dour Calvinist work ethic that has it's origins from the time when people had to toil in the fields 12 hours a day for their daily bread.

Very true, and I also feel that conservatives' need to turn both work and life outside work into a dour, "upstanding" thing is the source of their bigotry. If they see anyone actually enjoying themselves or not conforming to their stifling values and then faking happiness, they feel the need to lash out and destroy it because the dour conservative lifestyle is synonymous with frustration, unhappiness, repression, and misery.

I happen to know plent of Liberals that are just as unhappy.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:
Mostly conservatives where I work but we're not that dull. Work cannot be a party every day, either, or nothing would get done.

No, that was condescension.
Why would I bother to be mad when I can get such a kick out of U being mad ALL the time. :lol:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:34 am

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Why would I bother to be mad when I can get such a kick out of U being mad ALL the time. :lol:

Not particularly effective condescension. You accuse others of not reading what you say when you obviously can't comprehend anyone else's point.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:52 am

edgewaters wrote:
marshall wrote:
I also find it interesting that even within Corporate America, genuine entrepreneurs are generally centrist or left-leaning on economics. Right-leaning capitalists are mostly the heads of companies in charge of extracting raw materials, manufacturing products that have been around since the early 20th century, or hedge funds who's service is arbitrage rather than actual wealth creation. Don't expect companies headed by conservative ideologues to be movers and shakers. The Koch brother's simply inherited their father's industrial empire that was built by entrepreneurs of a technological era that's now nearly a century old.

Old money always fights the new.

The old money simply aims to hold onto it's power over society. They don't have to bother creating anything new. They simply aim to take advantage of a society that's dependent on them for it's survival (and they will do anything to keep it that way). Real entrepreneurs create their own demand.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 2:01 am

marshall wrote:
The old money simply aims to hold onto it's power over society.

Yes, but the new money threatens to take that top spot and relegate the old money to irrelevance, by virtue of its success.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 6:43 pm

Conservatives claim to be for individual rights and freedoms and claim their opponents to be collectivists when in fact the reverse is true. They say there ought to be lots of grinding poverty and that millions of individuals must be trapped in unpleasant circumstances with almost no chance of escape in the name of wider society. When they claim that their "tough love" is for the economy, for instance, their argument is that their nastiness will cause people to work harder and be more disciplined and this will pay off for the collectivity. They say that millions must be paid almost nothing for their work because this will cause lower prices to benefit the collective. They're the most collectivist of them all.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

"Conservatism Makes the World a Worse Place Because..."

...they don't conserve.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Once again, Raptor is way out of line.

da Rules wrote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

Condescension is a form of ridicule. If I am correct, then Raptor is going to get a spanking.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Conservatives claim to be for individual rights and freedoms and claim their opponents to be collectivists when in fact the reverse is true. They say there ought to be lots of grinding poverty and that millions of individuals must be trapped in unpleasant circumstances with almost no chance of escape in the name of wider society. When they claim that their "tough love" is for the economy, for instance, their argument is that their nastiness will cause people to work harder and be more disciplined and this will pay off for the collectivity. They say that millions must be paid almost nothing for their work because this will cause lower prices to benefit the collective. They're the most collectivist of them all.

It's more like they think the role of government is to enforce social hierarchies, not to promote meritocracy or a just society.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Once again, Raptor is way out of line.

da Rules wrote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

Condescension is a form of ridicule. If I am correct, then Raptor is going to get a spanking.

Don't like competition do ya?
Resorting to playing moderator is clear indication of that......

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

that or the general attitude form both sides of the aisle to your aproach is reaching critical mass.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 8:22 pm

Raptor wrote:
Don't like competition do ya?
Resorting to playing moderator is clear indication of that......

I did not claim to dislike competition. Competition does not contravene the rules.