Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

sometum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

hi. My university has given me a job over summer. I worry that I only got the job because someone on the welfare staff feels sorry for me. I want to be good at it. I have only had 2 days. I think one of the other staff members doesn't like me because I'm quite boring and because I'm not as good as her. I am a lot better when I am on my own, but then when I am with someone I tend to 'back off' and then every customer defers to the other person with me. So, on my second day, people were even handing money to the guy next to me even though I was in front of the till. So then I feel really stupid. It is also awkward, because I know that is not what is supposed to happen, but then I don't want to 'interrupt' if another person is with me and I feel kind of 'embarrassed' about trying in case I fail. But I would like to get better at this. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should be doing.

Like, when I am on the till, tourists come in wanting to enter. I have to charge them and there are guidebooks they can take at the front. I think the person who doesn't like me, was maybe once criticising me but I also think it was maybe constructive. So, she mentioned how she felt pride in addressing as 'Sir' and 'Madam' - could you tell me whether I should do this. She also said about referring the customer to the guidebooks while I did the change so there was not empty time. I try to do this now. I feel awkward about the 'Sir' or 'Madam' thing, I don't know why. I just feel awkward when she is with me because I feel like she is judging everything I say, also she is in a relationship with the 'boss' person so then I feel more awkward because I am only ever accompanied by one of them. Like when I am on my own, I always wish that the customer enjoys their visit because I like dealing with people kind of. But then, when I am accompanied (which is most of the time because I am new), then I just always let the other person do the talking and it is really annoying. I was just wondering whether people could confirm the rule above, and if they knew of any more 'rules' I should follow in this role.

I also sometimes work in the shop, but it is such a bad shop that no customer wants to come in (it is like a cupboard). She told me that I should say hello when they enter, and thank you when they leave. But she also said I should try to guilt-trip the customer into buying something, and talked a lot about having conversations with them. But I was wondering, who is supposed to start the conversation? It is a really crappy shop. I was in there and only one person came in and I said hello, then he looked around the few shelves and said thank you and left. Most people just didn't come in. I know about smiling at people as they pass but I don't get who is supposed to start the conversation.

Well, I was just wondering if anyone had advice. I feel really awkward about this person not liking me and I feel really, really awkward about letting other people do all the work when I am not on my own. I would just like to know what I am 'supposed' to do. I was thinking I could just remember to say, 'Feel free to help yourself to a guidebook, English is in the middle' or something, then I would know to say this whether I am with someone or not. What should you say when a person approaches? Like 'Good afternoon, how can I help you? 'or should this be when you address them as Sir / Madam? Sorry for the dumb questions. Thanks for any help.

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

I work in retail and my store managers suggest to always greet the customer and ask if I could help them find anything. It gets them to buy something that they could otherwise not find on their own and have a better experience in the shop so they will return and tell their friends about the experience. I think offering a guide book or asking if you can help them find something is a good place to start. Just have a script that you can rely on that way it becomes automatic. I use sir or ma'am when someone asks a direct question like "do you have this product" and I will say yes sir/ma'am and point them in the right direction. To me it just sounds more polite than saying "yes its over there".