Page 1 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 5:34 pm

Seconds- Rock Hudson tries to get surgically altered again... and gets a drill to the head.
To Live and Die in L.A.- Ohoho, boy. After an hour and a half of such heroic acts as raping his CI, getting an FBI agent killed, and mistreating his new partner, William Petersen finally gets a chance to bust counterfeiter Willem Dafoe. It doesn't work out as planned. Old Grissom takes a shotgun blast to the face, prompting his partner to chase Dafoe to his warehouse... where he finds Dafoe sitting on the floor in wait as all of the evidence of his crimes goes up in smoke. What's more, he knew that he and Chance were Secret Service agents. Chance's partner kills Dafoe, and goes to Chance's CI with a completely different personality: a new William Petersen. Five words: "You're working for me now." *shudder*
No Country for Old Men- Tommy Lee Jones woke up. Oh, and Javier Bardem gets away.
Arlington Road- Looks like Jeff Bridges... got Blown Away.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-LZWMc-OEY[/youtube]
King Kong- Obviously. I guess s**t happens when a gorilla has the hots for a blonde.
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, anyone?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

You forgot the 1984 adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four, Mulholland Drive (if one interpretation of events is correct) and The End of Evangelion.

On sabbatical...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

How about the film "Man Bites Dog". Oy! What an ending!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

Quatermass wrote:
You forgot the 1984 adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four, Mulholland Drive (if one interpretation of events is correct) and The End of Evangelion.

My gosh, that movie was such a headtrip... The whole thing left me feeling a little queasy. It's one of the strangest and most disturbing anime I've ever seen (both End of and the series proper). Its enormous popularity (particularly in its home country of Japan) baffles me. Not because it isn't good - because it is, very much so - but because you'd think that watching middle school-age characters being psychologically broken by piloting giant biomechanical abominations wouldn't have very broad appeal.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:28 pm

My favorite tragic ending is from a thriller/horror film called "Buried" starring Ryan Reynolds. (Spoilers, obviously.) The whole film is set in a coffin where Paul Conroy, a civilian truck driver in Iraq, has been buried alive by terrorists. He only has a few items like a pencil, a lighter, and a cell phone that's not his. He spends most of the movie on the cell phone negotiating his release between the terrorists and the U.S. embassy. The Americans try to track the phone, they get the general area but can't find him exactly, but the man on the other end reassures Paul by telling him that there was another man, Mark White, who was in the same situation a few weeks ago, but they saved him. American planes bomb the area Paul is buried in, causing the coffin to begin to break and sand to pour in. However, the terrorists eventually give the Americans the location. The sand is almost up to the top of the coffin, but Paul is told that they are digging up the coffin. As the sand reaches the top, Paul is on the verge of death when he hears the man on the phone say "Oh my god. It's Mark White."

I loved this ending and this whole movie because I loved the minimalist yet still scary approach to the filming and the ending fits with the theme, which is that everyone says they want to help you, but they all have their own reasons. No one's really doing it for you.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

John Woo's The Killer.

Brazil

Arcadia of my Youth, the Captain Harlock movie--of course the whole movie is a downer--well done, but a downer.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm

I loved the ending to Mulholland Drive, wasn't much of a downer for me. End of Evangelion has a downer ending in the same vein of the conclusion to Space Runaway Ideon Be Invoked, in fact I would say the latter is an even bigger downer. EoE starts out pretty crazy but then the second half is just pure abstract wackiness that's hard to take seriously, with a hint of hope at the end, depending on your interpretation. Be Invoked is easily one of the most depressing, merciless theatrical anime endings for me. Especially since I watched the entire tv series first then watched Be Invoked. I heard it was rough..but damn...the feelings I had watching it the first time in 07 :cry:.

I believe the creator of Evangelion even cited Space Runaway Ideon as a big influence.

I think the ultimate downer as in abandon all hope and feel like s**t for a month ending would have to be Twin Peaks. I know its a tv show..but ouch..

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

Oh! Speaking of downer anime movies, I can't believe I forgot to mention this one: Samurai X: Reflection, also known as Rurouni Kenshin: Seisohen. You have to be familiar with the Rurouni Kenshin series in order to get the full impact of it, but my gosh... The ending hit me so hard that it felt like one of my own family members had died. It probably affected me so deeply because I really loved the Kenshin characters back then (Rurouni Kenshin used to be one of my special interests.)

But one thing that I'm thankful for is that RK's original creator disapproved of Reflection and said that it shouldn't be treated as canon.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm

The ending of the anime movie X was such a downer. And the ending of the movie safe house made me angry.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Oh! Speaking of downer anime movies, I can't believe I forgot to mention this one: Samurai X: Reflection, also known as Rurouni Kenshin: Seisohen. You have to be familiar with the Rurouni Kenshin series in order to get the full impact of it, but my gosh... The ending hit me so hard that it felt like one of my own family members had died. It probably affected me so deeply because I really loved the Kenshin characters back then (Rurouni Kenshin used to be one of my special interests.)

But one thing that I'm thankful for is that RK's original creator disapproved of Reflection and said that it shouldn't be treated as canon.

Thankfully Seisohen has been stated to not be canon. I thought the original Samurai X ova's were absolutely brilliant, beautifully animated, wonderful music, breath-taking scenary and a tragic yet easily foreshadowed ending. I didn't care for Seioshen, aside from the animation. Kenshin didn't really act in character and it struck me as needlessly dramatic. I wasn't moved like I was by Reflection, I just wanted to whack Himura on the head.

edit- I'm totally confused it seems. I thought Reflection was the original ova with Kenshin, Tomoe, the farm and the shinsengumi and other stuff. You meant part 1 of the epilogue ova, didn't you? With all the recaps? I should read more before pressing submit :oops:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:04 am

NeueZiel wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

Thankfully Seisohen has been stated to not be canon. I thought the original Samurai X ova's were absolutely brilliant, beautifully animated, wonderful music, breath-taking scenary and a tragic yet easily foreshadowed ending. I didn't care for Seioshen, aside from the animation. Kenshin didn't really act in character and it struck me as needlessly dramatic. I wasn't moved like I was by Reflection, I just wanted to whack Himura on the head.

edit- I'm totally confused it seems. I thought Reflection was the original ova with Kenshin, Tomoe, the farm and the shinsengumi and other stuff. You meant part 1 of the epilogue ova, didn't you? With all the recaps? I should read more before pressing submit :oops:

Yeah, the one you're thinking of is Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal. I was talking about the epilogue OVA, and I meant the whole thing, particularly the part where Kenshin and Kaoru are lying underneath the cherry blossoms... :cry:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 6:28 am

Edward Scissorhands. Need I say more?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 7:07 am

Requiem for a Dream would probably be a too obvious example.
The end of the School Days anime, it was a bit disturbing.
Oh, another fil, Stanno tutti bene.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

My top 10 biggest downer endings I've personally seen (no particular order, as usual):
-Brazil (Director's Cut)
-On Her Majesty's Secret Service
-Easy Rider
-Get Carter (the original)
-Requiem For A Dream
-Into The Wild
-Grave Of The Fireflies (even though you could see the ending coming a mile away)
-No Man's Land
-All Quiet On The Western Front (the original)
-A History Of Violence

Honorable Mention: the original cut of Clerks

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, anyone?

Eugh--this movie messed me up so badly. I would spontaneously cry for the whole week after seeing this.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

A. I. for sure (I made the mistake of watching it when I was depressed and couldn't sleep and it was on at 2 a.m.), Brazil for sure. Maybe The Labyrinth? Not sure if I got the title right--It was set in Spain during the Revolution and had a little girl as the main character. And movies like Perfect Storm and Left Behind (again, not sure of the title, but the divers whose boat left and they were in the middle of the ocean), where even though you know it's going to end badly, you get your hopes built up anyway.