Spartacus

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 2:28 pm

Zincubus wrote:
Gladiator

Spartacus

Not only were they downers, but they were also historically in error.
After Commodus was assassinated, no one was talking about reestablishing the Republic, but rather various powerful individuals started vying for who would be the next emperor.
The "I am Spartacus" scene never happened, as all the captive rebels were crucified without any offer of a bargain to give their leader up. Everyone was nailed to a cross, except for Spartacus, as his death on the battle field was confirmed by several witnesses.
Sorry to nitpick, but I was a history major back in college, and inaccuracies like that make me nuts! :x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

Beneath The Planet Of The Apes.

It ends with the subterranean mutants launching their doomsday bomb to destroy their ape enemies, after Charlton Heston, the astronaut sent to find him, Dr. Zaius, and General Ursus are all shot. Then the voice over intones how all life has been extinguished on the planet formerly called earth.
Luckily, the sequels imply that future is not written in stone.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:42 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
To Live and Die in L.A.- Ohoho, boy. After an hour and a half of such heroic acts as raping his CI, getting an FBI agent killed, and mistreating his new partner, William Petersen finally gets a chance to bust counterfeiter Willem Dafoe. It doesn't work out as planned. Old Grissom takes a shotgun blast to the face, prompting his partner to chase Dafoe to his warehouse... where he finds Dafoe sitting on the floor in wait as all of the evidence of his crimes goes up in smoke. What's more, he knew that he and Chance were Secret Service agents. Chance's partner kills Dafoe, and goes to Chance's CI with a completely different personality: a new William Petersen. Five words: "You're working for me now." *shudder*
What was funny was that when it was test screened, it got nailed for the downer ending. So, they reshot the ending with a tag scene that had them sent off to a distant outpost for 'breaking the rules'. That tested so poorly that the original ending was reinserted for theatrical release. *But* kept in for the TV release LOL

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sorry to nitpick, but I was a history major back in college, and inaccuracies like that make me nuts! :x

No worries. I, too, am a history buff, and while there inaccuracies bother me, I still enjoy those kinds of film.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:47 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
House of Flying Daggers]
Did you see the edited version for the Western audience or the original Chinese version? The original version had an entire scene cut at the end suggesting a never ending struggle between the two factions of thought. It was far more poetic than the western cut.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:51 am

conundrum wrote:
Zathura--well, kind of. More like "Recycled IN SPACE".
Actually, it was the Author that did the recycling.

"Zathura: A Space Adventure (or just Zathura) is a 2005 American science fantasy adventure film directed by Jon Favreau, and is loosely based on the illustrated book Zathura by Chris Van Allsburg, author of Jumanji."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zathura_%28film%29

Although, recycling in Hollywood is tradition dating back to the earliest days of film making.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 7:52 am

zkydz wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
House of Flying Daggers]
Did you see the edited version for the Western audience or the original Chinese version? The original version had an entire scene cut at the end suggesting a never ending struggle between the two factions of thought. It was far more poetic than the western cut.

Can't remember. I think I saw it when it first came out.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 8:12 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
zkydz wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
House of Flying Daggers]

Can't remember. I think I saw it when it first came out.
It's the fight between the last two combatants. It goes from an open field of live grasses to an almost knee deep snow as they wear each other down. There was something else cut out that made it lose some emotional content dealing with sacrifice and devotion.

Kinda reminded me of when the first released Mad Max in the 80's. They dubbed everybody because they though all Americans couldn't understand Aussies.

Finally saw it without dubbing. Made a world of difference.

Why they change things like that mystify me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2016, 10:52 am

Knowing (the Nicolas Cage movie about the end of the world).

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:41 am

Donnie Darko has always evoked a sense of great loss within me I don't even know why because it's kinda the only thing that is supposed to happen but still... sometimes I've been really hurt by that ending, sometimes I'm filled with awe and a sense of magical resolution, it seems to change with each time I watch it.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:51 am

Dark City

Inception

Memento

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 2:00 pm

DARK CITY, a downer ending? Well, I guess that depends on your viewpoint. The Strangers are gone, John knows what he is capable of, and can reshape the world as he likes...so, if he is a "good ruler", maybe not so much. Of course, they're still all stuck on a floating asteroid...does Earth even exist? Could they go back?

Yep - depends on your viewpoint. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 2:46 pm

conundrum wrote:
DARK CITY, a downer ending? Well, I guess that depends on your viewpoint. The Strangers are gone, John knows what he is capable of, and can reshape the world as he likes...so, if he is a "good ruler", maybe not so much. Of course, they're still all stuck on a floating asteroid...does Earth even exist? Could they go back?

Yep - depends on your viewpoint. :D
That was the only open movie ending that bugged the hell out of me simply because I am a firm believer that absolute power corrupts absolutely. And, absolute power without absolute wisdom would be a complete disaster. I had a negative impression of the ending due specifically to a viewpoint. Thank you for recognizing that :) But, I do love the movie for everything else though. It was freaky.

Sunshine was a downer movie all the way around. But spellbinding.

Silent Running (With Bruce Dern, not the submarine movie) mainly for the overall implications and not the small hope at the end.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 4:58 pm

I was loving American Beauty till 'that' scene :(

Never watched it since .

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2016, 8:54 pm

Grave of the Fireflies by Studio Ghibli...one of the saddest movies I've ever watched. :(