Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 11:00 pm

the incident

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:05 am

Honestly, the most disturbing movie I've seen is Alpha Dog. I was staying over at a girl's house, and she flipped through the TV channels for a bit, and we watched a good portion of it. I don't know why, but that scene where they murder the kid just completely ruined me, and we had to watch something else instead. I felt so awful, I couldn't even sleep, I just kept replaying the scene in my mind.

Oh great, as if that wasn't bad enough, I had to look up the film (because I always forget the title of it), and the kid was played by Anton Yelchin :cry: Well that settles it, there is no way I can ever watch that movie again.

Other nominations:
Fast Food Nation had a scene that looked awfully real (I couldn't find any confirmation) where they showed a cow being killed, skinned, and chopped up.

Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky traumatized me as a kid, watching it as an adult I can see why.

There are some I don't really want to see, like Antichrist, A Serbian Film, Gummo (for the cat torture scene)...one day I'd like to get some guts and watch some of Takashi Miike's stuff.

I didn't think Requiem for a Dream was that disturbing, I was more depressed than anything. Either way, I don't want to see it again.

I don't remember Eraserhead being disturbing?

Donnie Darko I liked a lot. The car accident near the end really shocked me, but it never stopped me from rewatching it.

I didn't know Hobo With a Shotgun was supposed to be disturbing...I have it, but haven't watched it yet.

babybird wrote:
I hate Chainsaw Massacre

You definitely wouldn't like the second movie, then =) It's very messed up. Some parts are kind of cheesy, but...I don't know...on the whole it's just crazy. I liked it a lot.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I've seen enough about several to know I'm never going to knowingly watch them (any Human Centipede movie, A Serbian Film, Salo, Cannibal Holocaust).

The first Human Centipede is really good, if you like 80s horror movies, and there's actually very little gore in it. The only scene that gets me is a brief shot of the doctor snipping the tendons in their knees. The second movie is really really disgusting. The whole thing looks like a very artfully shot B&W film, but it's clear that Tom Six put his all into grossing out the audience as much as possible. I haven't seen the third one yet.

Too afraid to watch A Serbian Film, even though I've heard it's not as bad as you think it will be.

There's supposed to be a feature on the Cannibal Holocaust DVD that lets you watch it without the animal slaughter, but I think I would still be too chicken to see it.

auntblabby wrote:
un chien andalou [the sliced eyeball scene]

I saw about that film in a YouTube video the other day, about how they used a dead calf for that scene. It got me real curious to see it, though I'm sure I'll cover my eyes for that bit.

Epsilon wrote:
Time Bandits... for a few interesting reasons.

What reasons would those be? o_O

...oops, I just realized some of those posts are a few years old, I may not get replies from them...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:09 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
un chien andalou [the sliced eyeball scene]

I saw about that film in a YouTube video the other day, about how they used a dead calf for that scene. It got me real curious to see it, though I'm sure I'll cover my eyes for that bit.

have you ever seen "seconds...."?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 2:20 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fast Food Nation had a scene that looked awfully real (I couldn't find any confirmation) where they showed a cow being killed, skinned, and chopped up.

I forgot, I had to watch Food Inc. for one of my classes in high school, and I found that highly disturbing. That's a significant part of why I'm vegetarian now.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I've seen enough about several to know I'm never going to knowingly watch them (any Human Centipede movie, A Serbian Film, Salo, Cannibal Holocaust).

The first Human Centipede is really good, if you like 80s horror movies, and there's actually very little gore in it. The only scene that gets me is a brief shot of the doctor snipping the tendons in their knees. The second movie is really really disgusting. The whole thing looks like a very artfully shot B&W film, but it's clear that Tom Six put his all into grossing out the audience as much as possible. I haven't seen the third one yet.

Too afraid to watch A Serbian Film, even though I've heard it's not as bad as you think it will be.

There's supposed to be a feature on the Cannibal Holocaust DVD that lets you watch it without the animal slaughter, but I think I would still be too chicken to see it.

Hmm, I think The Human Centipede is still on Netflix, so I guess I could give it a try. I can always stop it if I don't like it. And yeah, I've heard that the goal was to make the movies extremely and increasingly disgusting. I don't like watching anything involving intense sexual stuff, is why I won't watch A Serbian Film or Salo. I might watch Cannibal Holocaust if there's a version without the animal stuff, but I don't want to give any money that might support that kind of treatment of animals by buying the DVD.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:51 am

auntblabby wrote:

No, I haven't. 1966?

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I forgot, I had to watch Food Inc. for one of my classes in high school, and I found that highly disturbing. That's a significant part of why I'm vegetarian now.

I haven't seen that one, but it sounds similar. Fast Food Nation is filmed in a documentary style, but it's all fictionalized, with Hollywood actors and a fast food franchise called "Mickey's". I think I must've gone a week without eating any beef after that (although I've never liked beef that much anyway).

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Hmm, I think The Human Centipede is still on Netflix, so I guess I could give it a try. I can always stop it if I don't like it.

Talking with friends, I know most people get grossed out at the "feed her!" scene. But if you listen to the Doctor explaining the procedure...I won't go into too much detail here, but he says that the intestines are connected directly to the next esophagus, so it's not quite as gross as people imagine it to be.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I don't like watching anything involving intense sexual stuff, is why I won't watch A Serbian Film or Salo.

You wouldn't like the second Human Centipede, then =) The main character is constantly sexually abused, and so he takes it out on himself and on others. The Netflix version censors some of it, but it's still quite graphic.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I might watch Cannibal Holocaust if there's a version without the animal stuff, but I don't want to give any money that might support that kind of treatment of animals by buying the DVD.

Yeah, I think I would rather just not watch it. Seems like the only reason I would is for bragging rights, and I'm okay there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 3:58 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

No, I haven't. 1966?

yup. definitely a 60s vibe, but also a chilling vibe 8O it was not like Hollywood product from the earlier 60s, definitely more adult in theme compared to what was allowed earlier on.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 4:16 am

I looked it up on IMDB, it sounds pretty good. Kind of reminds me of the Putty Puss story from Dick Tracy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 5:39 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I looked it up on IMDB, it sounds pretty good. Kind of reminds me of the Putty Puss story from Dick Tracy.

but [not spoiling it] this has a much eerier ending. 8O

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:17 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

dragonsanddemons wrote:

I haven't seen that one, but it sounds similar. Fast Food Nation is filmed in a documentary style, but it's all fictionalized, with Hollywood actors and a fast food franchise called "Mickey's". I think I must've gone a week without eating any beef after that (although I've never liked beef that much anyway).

Food Inc. is a documentary on food production. What really disturbed me is that they showed exactly how food animals are treated before they're killed, and I refuse to support that. I might be okay with eating meat from animals that haven't been raised in factory farms, but I figured it would be easier to not eat meat than to make sure all the meat I eat is from animals that have been humanely raised, since I don't do the shopping.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Hmm, I think The Human Centipede is still on Netflix, so I guess I could give it a try. I can always stop it if I don't like it.

Talking with friends, I know most people get grossed out at the "feed her!" scene. But if you listen to the Doctor explaining the procedure...I won't go into too much detail here, but he says that the intestines are connected directly to the next esophagus, so it's not quite as gross as people imagine it to be.

Ah, OK. You're right, that's not quite as gross. It'll probably help that I'm expecting it, too.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I don't like watching anything involving intense sexual stuff, is why I won't watch A Serbian Film or Salo.

You wouldn't like the second Human Centipede, then =) The main character is constantly sexually abused, and so he takes it out on himself and on others. The Netflix version censors some of it, but it's still quite graphic.

I guess I can add that to the reasons I'm not going to go past the first one, then.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I might watch Cannibal Holocaust if there's a version without the animal stuff, but I don't want to give any money that might support that kind of treatment of animals by buying the DVD.

Yeah, I think I would rather just not watch it. Seems like the only reason I would is for bragging rights, and I'm okay there.

I kind of want to see how I'd handle something that intensely violent and graphic, but definitely not badly enough that I'll support animal cruelty to do it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
What really disturbed me is that they showed exactly how food animals are treated before they're killed, and I refuse to support that. I might be okay with eating meat from animals that haven't been raised in factory farms, but I figured it would be easier to not eat meat than to make sure all the meat I eat is from animals that have been humanely raised, since I don't do the shopping.

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that, as well as showing how the meat is treated after they are killed >_< A lot of other foods aren't treated much better, but I try not to think about it.

Certainly can't blame you. I don't know if I could go vegetarian at this point, especially since I'm gluten-free now and I try to eat paleo as much as possible. I know for sure that I couldn't go vegan.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I guess I can add that to the reasons I'm not going to go past the first one, then.

Yeah, I really don't know if I could recommend it. I mean there were a lot of parts that I really liked, but also quite a few parts where I had to cover my eyes :roll:

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I kind of want to see how I'd handle something that intensely violent and graphic, but definitely not badly enough that I'll support animal cruelty to do it.

I already know how I would handle it =) I've been on the Internet for a long time, so I've seen plenty of photos and even a few videos that I really did not want to see. Real people with severe injuries, death, dismemberment, serial killer victims, etc...I'm pretty desensitized to most movie violence, but I don't handle the real thing very well at all.

Especially animals, for whatever reason. Heck, one year the neighbors had their deer splayed open in the back yard, hanging in the trees, and I refused to go outside and rake the lawn that day.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 9:43 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
What really disturbed me is that they showed exactly how food animals are treated before they're killed, and I refuse to support that. I might be okay with eating meat from animals that haven't been raised in factory farms, but I figured it would be easier to not eat meat than to make sure all the meat I eat is from animals that have been humanely raised, since I don't do the shopping.

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that, as well as showing how the meat is treated after they are killed >_< A lot of other foods aren't treated much better, but I try not to think about it.

Certainly can't blame you. I don't know if I could go vegetarian at this point, especially since I'm gluten-free now and I try to eat paleo as much as possible. I know for sure that I couldn't go vegan.

It is easier for me since I have no other dietary restrictions or anything, although due to sensory issues with certain foods (like most beans), being vegan and getting enough protein would be a challenge for me.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I already know how I would handle it =) I've been on the Internet for a long time, so I've seen plenty of photos and even a few videos that I really did not want to see. Real people with severe injuries, death, dismemberment, serial killer victims, etc...I'm pretty desensitized to most movie violence, but I don't handle the real thing very well at all.

Especially animals, for whatever reason. Heck, one year the neighbors had their deer splayed open in the back yard, hanging in the trees, and I refused to go outside and rake the lawn that day.

I'm the same way with real stuff, and also especially with animals. Even if it isn't real, I have trouble with movies in which harm comes to animals. I'm not sure if I'm entirely past being bothered by human stuff that I know isn't real, and I guess I'm kind of curious to know how much that much intense violence and gore would or wouldn't bother me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Even if it isn't real, I have trouble with movies in which harm comes to animals.

It really bothers me in older movies, when it doesn't say "no animals were harmed" at the end of the credits >_<

I tried watching a movie once that came out during the big Jaws craze...I forget the title of it, but the harpoons they were shooting into all of those sharks looked awfully real...I had to turn it off (it was really boring, besides).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:54 pm

Suicide Room

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm

AI