Rape, Victim-Blaming, and... random stuff about religion

Page 7 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:19 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
But when it comes down to women who live in countries where they are protected from the blame, I don't see how the cultural argument is relevant. The Muslim community will be a minority, and would have to abide by the law. It will not side with a man who says she was "asking for it" anymore. If she calls the police, they will come to her aid. It's a different world entirely.

If it's his culture that dictates crime, they'll take that into account. They have done so in the past. Additionally, some European countries have informally-recognised additional shariah courts by now. Furthermore, something being illegal will not stop them from doing it. A lot of muslims living in Europe openly and categorically reject western values, western culture, western politics - essentially, everything but western money, which they're glad to receive.

Criminal abuse in our law is still abuse regardless of if his culture of origin allows it or not. In Canada, spanking is charged as physical abuse, regardless of if it is legal in the parent's culture of origin. By "taking it into account", I'm sure they would take note of the cultural attitude, but they would still charge him under the law of the country where the crime happened, unless there is some allowance for him to be charged in his country of origin? I'm not sure about what you mean by "take that into account".

It doesn't matter if he rejects western values, he will still be treated equally in the eyes of the law.

But if you're saying that the European justice system bends the rules for these Muslim men, well, I don't know about that.

Last edited by deltafunction on 27 Jun 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
deltafunction wrote:

These leaders normalize rape by siding with rapists and blaming the victim. They also allow rape to happen by their inaction when rapes are reported, and by making women fearful of reporting in the first place because of the sociological implications it may have (shunning, persecution, a draining court case where she would fend off accusations that it was her fault, etc). Also the religion in my opinion is deeply flawed and centuries behind in terms of women's rights. Religious leaders just keep the ideology going.

You mean just Islam or all religions? because all religions are deeply flawed and centuries behind in terms of women's rights

Good point

Not an expert on religions, but I would agree with you

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
deltafunction wrote:

These leaders normalize rape by siding with rapists and blaming the victim. They also allow rape to happen by their inaction when rapes are reported, and by making women fearful of reporting in the first place because of the sociological implications it may have (shunning, persecution, a draining court case where she would fend off accusations that it was her fault, etc). Also the religion in my opinion is deeply flawed and centuries behind in terms of women's rights. Religious leaders just keep the ideology going..

You mean just Islam or all religions? because all religions are deeply flawed and centuries behind in terms of women's rights

Good point Boo!

Except Islam is, by far, the worst large religion in the world when it comes to human rights. Islam is the driving force behind Saudi Arabia's social policies, Iran's social policies, Iraq's gay clubbing squads, Indonesia's sectarian violence, massacres in Libya, violence against Coptic Christians in Egypt, and more African and Middle Eastern terrorist and rebel groups than one can possibly imagine. Honestly, the religion argument would hold if there was currently any other religion in the world that inspired that amount of human rights abuses and violence. We're discussing Islam here, which has the world's worst track record for human rights at the moment.

I take it you don't live in Europe, DogsWithoutHorses. Why is it that everyone who argues about these things comes from a region that's practically without muslims, and often a dominion?

deltafunction wrote:
In Canada, spanking is charged as physical abuse, regardless of if it is legal in the parent's culture of origin.

Here's the difference. In terms of cultural policies, immigration policies and criminal justice, Canada is positively xenophobic and authoritarian compared to Europe. Canada's current policies, as well as Australia's, are a wet dream for European conservatives. Judges - we don't have a jury in our continental system of law - do not simply read the law and determine guilt. They're just as much rehabilitation officers. If someone was sexually abused, that's a reason for them to lower the sentence. If someone was culturally inclined to do something, that can also be a reason to lower a sentence. Sometimes, civil precedents in islamic law are accepted in secular courts.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:41 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
deltafunction wrote:

These leaders normalize rape by siding with rapists and blaming the victim. They also allow rape to happen by their inaction when rapes are reported, and by making women fearful of reporting in the first place because of the sociological implications it may have (shunning, persecution, a draining court case where she would fend off accusations that it was her fault, etc). Also the religion in my opinion is deeply flawed and centuries behind in terms of women's rights. Religious leaders just keep the ideology going..

Good point Boo!

Except Islam is, by far, the worst large religion in the world when it comes to human rights. Islam is the driving force behind Saudi Arabia's social policies, Iran's social policies, Iraq's gay clubbing squads, Indonesia's sectarian violence, massacres in Libya, violence against Coptic Christians in Egypt, and more African and Middle Eastern terrorist and rebel groups than one can possibly imagine. Honestly, the religion argument would hold if there was currently any other religion in the world that inspired that amount of human rights abuses and violence. We're discussing Islam here, which has the world's worst track record for human rights at the moment.

I take it you don't live in Europe, DogsWithoutHorses. Why is it that everyone who argues about these things comes from a region that's practically without muslims, and often a dominion?

deltafunction wrote:
In Canada, spanking is charged as physical abuse, regardless of if it is legal in the parent's culture of origin.

Here's the difference. In terms of cultural policies, immigration policies and criminal justice, Canada is positively xenophobic and authoritarian compared to Europe. Canada's current policies, as well as Australia's, are a wet dream for European conservatives. Judges - we don't have a jury in our continental system of law - do not simply read the law and determine guilt. They're just as much rehabilitation officers. If someone was sexually abused, that's a reason for them to lower the sentence. If someone was culturally inclined to do something, that can also be a reason to lower a sentence. Sometimes, civil precedents in islamic law are accepted in secular courts.

uummm, maybe worst but not by far..

Not really

Just a reminder:

What's making Islam the worst nowadays is the willingness and the desire of many of his/her followers to make it the national constitution of where they're living.

Let the Christianity or Judaism be the law of the US and Europe and the outcome won't be much better than the Sharia.

Do you know that radical jews are trying to kick out the female soldiers out of the Israeli army? To be honest, i am not that sad because that means less military force for our enemy! bahahahahaa! But can't deny the retardation of this trend. Us and Israel are going into opposing trends in fact : http://www.dailystar.com.lb/PhotoGaller ... z1z2JiGYi1

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 27 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Except Islam is, by far, the worst large religion in the world when it comes to human rights.

The largest offensive against homosexuals was perpetrated by communist governments; all of which were led by atheist dictators.

Quote:
Islam is the driving force behind Saudi Arabia's social policies, Iran's social policies, Iraq's gay clubbing squads, Indonesia's sectarian violence, massacres in Libya, violence against Coptic Christians in Egypt, and more African and Middle Eastern terrorist and rebel groups than one can possibly imagine.
Quote:
Honestly, the religion argument would hold if there was currently any other religion in the world that inspired that amount of human rights abuses and violence. We're discussing Islam here, which has the world's worst track record for human rights at the moment.

One study concluded that 70% of all Israeli muslims opposed the death penalty... less than half of all Americans do.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
uummm, maybe worst but not by far..

I'm willing to go that far. Islam is, by far, the worst major religion on the planet for the type of human rights currently maintained in the western world.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What's making Islam the worst nowadays is the willingness and the desire of many of his/her followers to make it the national constitution of where they're living.

Exactly. That's it.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Let the Christianity or Judaism be the law of the US and Europe and the outcome won't be much better than the Sharia.

But they won't. They're not making superstitious religious laws as written by several crazy old men their laws punishable by death, mutilation or collective punishment, whereas most of the Middle East, parts of the Maghreb and islamic parts of Asia can plead guilty to that. We're talking about the way the world is, not would be, and as it is, people giving a political dimension to Islam are a disastrous plague.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Do you know that radical jews are trying to kick out the female soldiers out of the Israeli army? To be honest, i am not that sad because that means less military force for my enemy! bahahahahaa! But can't deny the retardation of this trend. Us and Israel are going into opposing trends in fact : http://www.dailystar.com.lb/PhotoGaller ... z1z2JiGYi1

Israel is a hole, and there's no point in trying to get me to defend it. However, in terms of human rights, even Israel is much better than the countries surrounding it within a wide radius.

Kurgan wrote:
The largest offensive against homosexuals was perpetrated by communist governments; all of which were led by atheist dictators.

There were indeed several. However, at the moment, adherents of Islam are guilty of much, much more, in many more fields.

Kurgan wrote:
One study concluded that 70% of all Israeli muslims opposed the death penalty... less than half of all Americans do.

What are you trying to say here? I strongly support the death penalty, and I think it's a shame it's an increasing taboo. What I don't support, however, is to exclude and punish people based on the way they were born rather than for what they did, which is something most muslims in the world have yet to find out.

As for taking it somewhere else, I'd support that - but the thread doesn't seem to be on a list for being moved. Might request that from moderators later.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:57 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Take it to a different forum. You guys can debate it all you like, but do it in the right place.

"Love and Dating" is not that place.

Please move along... seriously...

Well, at least we're not discussing victim blame anymore. I'm done here.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Israel is a hole, and there's no point in trying to get me to defend it. However, in terms of human rights, even Israel is much better than the countries surrounding it within a wide radius.

Israel is on par with several European countries in terms of living conditions. In fact, as we speak, they're the only Middle-Eastern country in the world who allow homosexuals to adopt and have the 4. highest life-expectancy in the world.

Quote:
There were indeed several. However, at the moment, adherents of Islam are guilty of much, much more, in many more fields.

North-Korea--which is led by a dynasty of atheists--is far worse than any muslim country in terms of human rights.

Quote:
What are you trying to say here? I strongly support the death penalty, and I think it's a shame it's an increasing taboo. What I don't support, however, is to exclude and punish people based on the way they were born rather than for what they did, which is something most muslims in the world have yet to find out.

The death penalty doesn't work. This is why Texas doesn't have the lowest murder rate in the US.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 6:03 pm

deltafunction wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
Take it to a different forum. You guys can debate it all you like, but do it in the right place.

"Love and Dating" is not that place.

Please move along... seriously...

Well, at least we're not discussing victim blame anymore. I'm done here.

Yep, looks like that's been laid to rest (for now) so I'm out too. This is now just an incoherent frenzy of general issues some people have with every group that's different from them, but looks like it will drown in its own confusion and frustration fairly soon. Time to let it die.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Israel is on par with several European countries in terms of living conditions. In fact, as we speak, they're the only Middle-Eastern country in the world who allow homosexuals to adopt and have the 4. highest life-expectancy in the world.

Correct. Human rights-wise, though, and from a political perspective - and that's what I meant - it's a hole compared to European countries, and a mountain compared to the surrounding area. Actually, that's a great idea - a depth/height map of human rights.

Kurgan wrote:
North-Korea--which is led by a dynasty of atheists--is far worse than any muslim country in terms of human rights.

North Korea has approximately 25 million inhabitants. It's very little compared to the one-fifth of the world apparently following Islam, very little compared to Iran's almost 80 million inhabitants, or Iraq's 30 million, or Afghanistan's 30 million, or Pakistan's 177 million. North Korea is a messed-up place, but certainly not at a magnitude similar to the islamic world.

Kurgan wrote:
The death penalty doesn't work. This is why Texas doesn't have the lowest murder rate in the US.

How is it supposed to work? If it gets rid of people who commit murders, and potentially child abuse, I'm all for it.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 3:20 am

Kurgan wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

In all fairness, North Korea is not atheist per say, its some weird form of personality cult, just like most communist states have been. Stalin went to seminary school and used the Orthodox church quite substantially after he'd purged those who were against him. It can even be argued that most countries went through a "de-clericzation" of sorts, prior to moving on to being a more secular society.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 4:01 am

TM wrote:
In all fairness, North Korea is not atheist per say, its some weird form of personality cult, just like most communist states have been. Stalin went to seminary school and used the Orthodox church quite substantially after he'd purged those who were against him. It can even be argued that most countries went through a "de-clericzation" of sorts, prior to moving on to being a more secular society.

There are some religious elements that exist in the country, but officially North Korea is recognized as an atheist state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_North_Korea

Quote:
North Korea is officially an atheist state[1][2], and government policy continues to interfere with the individual's ability to choose and to manifest his or her religious belief. The regime continues to repress the religious activities of unauthorized religious groups. Recent refugee, defector, missionary, and nongovernmental organization (NGO) reports indicate that religious persons engaging in proselytizing in the country, those who have ties to overseas evangelical groups operating across the border in the People's Republic of China, and specifically, those repatriated from China and found to have been in contact with foreigners or missionaries, have been arrested and subjected to harsh penalties. Refugees and defectors continued to allege that they witnessed the arrests and execution of members of underground Christian churches by the regime in prior years

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:20 pm

hash it out here. enjoy your new thread.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:44 pm

aghogday wrote:
TM wrote:

There are some religious elements that exist in the country, but officially North Korea is recognized as an atheist state.

Quote:
North Korea is officially an atheist state[1][2], and government policy continues to interfere with the individual's ability to choose and to manifest his or her religious belief. The regime continues to repress the religious activities of unauthorized religious groups. Recent refugee, defector, missionary, and nongovernmental organization (NGO) reports indicate that religious persons engaging in proselytizing in the country, those who have ties to overseas evangelical groups operating across the border in the People's Republic of China, and specifically, those repatriated from China and found to have been in contact with foreigners or missionaries, have been arrested and subjected to harsh penalties. Refugees and defectors continued to allege that they witnessed the arrests and execution of members of underground Christian churches by the regime in prior years

Officially they are also self-declared as democratic and the best country in the world. Doesn't really mean much. The Soviet Union was also reportedly atheist, yet the Orthodox church still has images of Stalin with a halo hanging on the walls.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

TM wrote:
aghogday wrote:
TM wrote:

Quote:

Officially they are also self-declared as democratic and the best country in the world. Doesn't really mean much. The Soviet Union was also reportedly atheist, yet the Orthodox church still has images of Stalin with a halo hanging on the walls.

Just a semantic clarification per how the country is officially classified and viewed in the rest of world of the world, as an atheist state per third party evidence. It is evidenced that it is hard to take beliefs away from humans, no matter what governments institute as policy.

The United States is evidenced as a Christian country, with over 80% of the country reported as a member of that religious group, but about half the country is mad most of the time because someone less advantaged might get a perceived handout. Particularly among those that term themselves as the most zealous of Christians. Completely contrary to what the guy on the cross taught, in what remains and is reported as such, per actual written translations.

So yes, an official label of religious orientation of a country can be deceiving, per the beliefs of those that actually are evidenced in those countries. I have no idea, there me be more people in North Korea that care about each other as a culture, per the larger population of the masses, than in the larger masses that say they adhere to the teachings of the man on the cross here in the US. But I do know it's a pretty tough place to live for most.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

aghogday wrote:
TM wrote:
aghogday wrote:
TM wrote:

Quote:

Just a semantic clarification per how the country is officially classified and viewed in the rest of world of the world, as an atheist state per third party evidence. It is evidenced that it is hard to take beliefs away from humans, no matter what governments institute as policy.

I was just pointing out that official classifications regardless of source can be inaccurate. The US for instance has a separation of Church and State, yet shocking amounts of religiously motivated policies are pushed time and time again. The fact that the country supposedly has this devision, when we see that there hasn't been a single openly non-Christian president for instance, is misleading.

North Korea is arguably the most religious country in the world, if we see some of the Kim personality cult.