Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ennui
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

Chevand (a few posts up) said "I in turn would try not to interpret paranoid negative signs in her silence where there were none. "

It seems like every day something else clicks with me, something else that I do that I always just chalked up to me being weird or nuts. I do that, "interpret paranoid negative signs in silence". Is that a common thing to Aspies?

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

Ennui wrote:
Chevand (a few posts up) said "I in turn would try not to interpret paranoid negative signs in her silence where there were none. "

It seems like every day something else clicks with me, something else that I do that I always just chalked up to me being weird or nuts. I do that, "interpret paranoid negative signs in silence". Is that a common thing to Aspies?

My observation is it's common to humans in general. Or at least in the States. My silences are often interpreted negatively, I often interpret other's silences negatively.

New brain research shows that our minds have a tendency towards the negative, worst case scenario. Good for survival if you're a cave man, not so great for interpersonal communication. :(

Voyagergirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2017, 3:44 pm

I have come to the conclusion that the driving force of the human race is "What's in it for me?" Think about it.

People think I am cynical but... Every meeting is a transaction, we all want to feel that we have got the best of the transaction. The most successful retailers, charities etc succeed by making us feel rewarded in our purchase, gift etc. Many people do not say what they mean because they seek to gain an advantage over us whether it be financial, moral or even an unhappy shop assistant making him/herself feel superior to the customer.

Of course it is possible to have win/win transactions and the trick is to learn how to initialise them. However if like me you have trouble reading body language then only certain defense is to assume that everyone is trying to take advantage of you and try to work out what they hope to gain. :roll: