So how do you go about doing things like eating/ect.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

So I'm seeing a lot of "are you like this or that" threads so I figured that I have a question for you all...

Do you eat your food or do other related rituals in a particularly peculiar way?...

My family gets kind of annoyed from the fact that I insist to make sure all of my meats are cooled to about 40 or so degrees (Fahrenheit) before eating it. I get the same way with my coffee too and oftentimes I just leave it out, waiting for it to cool. This drives my family nuts. But it just isn't right without it being eaten/drunk in that way. In addition, I swear I can't cook in front of those guys at all. In fact, I find it difficult to cook in front of anyone. The moment someone goes in the room it makes me really nervous while I'm cooking. Have no idea why. But usually I'll stop the stove, dump out the water (if there's nothing in it) and evacuate the room.

Also. Sandwiches. I can't eat them. Wet bread is the most awful abomination ever and I can't handle it whatsoever. Even thinking of it makes me queasy - if there's anything wet on a sandwich whatsoever (usually lunchmeat) I can't even go as far as to try to eat that... thing. And the bread sticks to the meat and it ruins the meat too. So I eat them separate.

I'm just wondering to see the general consensus on this particular thing and to see how other people do these kinds of things...

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

Well if I have a plate of different foods, I usually don't like the foods touching the other foods depending on what it is. Also, usually I'll eat the foods one at a time. ex- If I had mashed potatoes, corn and fish...I might eat the fish first, then the mashed potatoes and then the corn.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

corvuscorax wrote:
S
My family gets kind of annoyed from the fact that I insist to make sure all of my meats are cooled to about 40 or so degrees (Fahrenheit) before eating it. I get the same way with my coffee too and oftentimes I just leave it out, waiting for it to cool.

I don't let mine get that cool but I frequently find food to be too hot when others don't even think it's hot.

I also eat leftovers out of the fridge cold.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:34 pm

I eat things clockwise one at a time or if I had a sandwich and fries one at a time. Things with a point( pizza,cake,or pie)from the point first.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:18 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I eat things clockwise one at a time or if I had a sandwich and fries one at a time. Things with a point( pizza,cake,or pie)from the point first.

Me too :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:31 pm

I forget to eat until I start trembling from hunger, and then I grab whatever's edible and shovel it down until I'm no longer hungry. Rinse-and-repeat. As a result, I'm carrying around 50 extra pounds...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

I have -many- peculiarities with eating.

For example, I really really hate eating in front of others. I also can't talk while eating.

I also have really weird ways of eating most things, like back when I still ate chips, I'd often lick the coating off of them before I ate them.

MeerkatFetish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2012, 6:10 pm

I guess I have a couple of peculiar eating habits, like when at home if we're eating dinner I usually spend a couple of minutes organizing my plate so the different types of food don't touch each other, I try to avoid doing this if I'm eating at a restaurant or out in the public though ;)

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:12 pm

1. I avoid fiddly/messy things - e.g. shell fish, stones, meat on the bone.
2. I eat one thing at a time, starting with my least favorite item.
3. I've developed a swallowing problem, I think this is anxiety related, so I can only eat when i have something to drink.

Jason

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:27 pm

I can pretty much eat anything put in front of me. I pretty much can't function without my morning coffee/energy drink, though. But that's not really ritual related as much as it is a drug addiction, albeit a common mild one.

I do enjoy cooking, and I pretty much cook all my food myself.

Let's see...I eat kinda fast. But I eat ice cream slow.

Last edited by 1000Knives on 08 Jul 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2012, 6:27 pm

We were never allowed to exhibit pickiness at the dinner table. We were poor and the consequences of not "cleaning" our plates included verbal abuse, humiliation and a physical beating. Plus as an adult, I love to eat and do so with gusto and, just like Mom, I'm a good cook.

My younger brother (six years junior to me) though got away with eating special foods because Mom allowed it, as he was her darling boy. I suppose we resented him. Still he turned out to be a brilliant but spoiled man-boy and decided to shun us because he is gay and we're not.

One of my nephews as a boy separated the food groups on his plate and ate each one separately. Why his parents let him get away with that, I do not know. But I believe food separation and eating one portion at a time are considered an Aspie trait. Since he, my younger brother and I are similar in personality and temperament, I suppose that means each of us in our own way are Aspies.

MeerkatFetish

08 Jul 2012, 6:29 pm

Jtuk wrote:
3. I've developed a swallowing problem, I think this is anxiety related, so I can only eat when i have something to drink.

I can relate to this, it's so frustrating to always having to rely on nearby fluids(:roll:) in order to eat anything. No idea if it's actually anxiety related, but I guess I've made it into a habit for some weird reason.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 7:06 pm

We often don't like to cook, or even eat in the presence of of others because we are trying to avoid being criticised and bullied by them. Trust me, I am definitely right on that one.

I eat most of my meals, one food at a time. Many things I don't want mixed with other foods, but some are okay to mix. I hate almost all cooked veggies. Once they are cooked they become disgusting garbage to me. They are just so wrong that way, especially when cooked into a soft, mushy, slimy state. I can eat a few veggies raw, and fewer still stir fried, but forget fully cooked. Those baked beans used in commercial baked beans cans are over cooked and disgusting. I can eat some other types of canned beans, as they are not over cooked, but I still don't like them. I do keep some on hand for emergencies, though, and can get those non baked bean ones down by putting BBQ sauce on them. I can't eat peas because they are disgusting when cooked. I think I was able to eat some recently that I bought in a tub of dried veggie snacks. They were not as bad that way. I also bought a tub of mixed dried veggie snacks, and actually liked that a lot, so I will buy it again. Some of the mixed ones were cut like potato chips. They made a fun and healthy snack. :D

I also have the habit of eating the same meal for each meal for days until the foods needed to make that meal are gone. Then I pick another type of meal and do the same until the fixins for that are gone, and so on. Once in a while I will take a break and eat a different meal before finishing all of the food for the current meal trend, but then go back to the current trend for subsequent meals. I do tend to vary the fruits that I eat for dessert after my meals, though. I find that I like fruit for dessert more than pastries, which is good, as I am very over weight. I don't buy a lot of cakes/cookies/candies, because fruit satisfies my sweet tooth very well, :D but I do have a terrible weakness for salty snacks. That is where my real food vice is. :( I don't beat myself up over my food vices, as I don't have a lot of other vices. I don't drink, smoke, gamble, do drugs, or throw wild parties. Yes, I know, it sounds like I don't have much fun, :lol: but I do stuff I like to do. Since I am an introverted hermit, most of my fun is solitary in nature, which suits me fine. :D Remember, hermits don't have a hermit convention. It would be contrary to our nature. :lol:

trinket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

I have several food habits-

I won't eat cut pickles or Olives, at all, even if I cut them myself

I won't eat whole Tomato's they have to be cut up

I won't eat anything fatty(like steak) and by this I mean like being able to visibly see and touch bits of fat.

I tend to like any meat I eat to be charcoaled a bit

I don't eat any nuts, or hard pears(though I love soft pears)

there are lots of foods I don't eat because of the texture

I go on food phases, where I'll eat only 1 type of food for days, the ones that are most common are PBJ sandwiches, Canned green beans, Cereal and Mac and cheese

oh and I LOVE pizza, unless I'm VERY VERY VERY upset I won't ever turn down pizza(unless it has olives*they're cut!* or mushrooms*can't stand the texture*)

and when I actually eat a real meal I eat the foods I like least first, and one at a time

oh and sometimes I'll go a day or so without eating, I just won't have an appetite

my diet is crap I know, that's why I'm 30# overweight :P

I have other things I do, and other things I don't eat, or eat funny but I don't feel like listing them right now, maybe later

mMmmm I'm really craving Hawaiian pizza...

awsomekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2012, 8:43 pm

I cannot eat steak chewing it is such a pain for me( I can eat hamburgers because they are soft) because steak is so chewy and it hurts my teeth after awhile. that makes my parents annoyed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 11:43 pm

I eat my meals one food at a time and I save my meat for last, because I like it the most. :)