Adult Aspies...when did you first feel like an adult?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

19 Sep 2012, 6:00 am

When I turned 20, probably. It's still a slow process, I'm not yet fully there, so to speak.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:04 am

I got it around 13-15. When I was 13, I started feeling embarrassed to play imaginative games where people can see me. Then when I was 14, I began feeling bored of playing with toys or imaginative games, and also felt ret*d, although thinking back, playing with toys at 14 isn't all that bad.
My uncle is NT and he said he still played with stuffed animals at 12!

I was expected to act like a responsible adult when I was 14. Everything I did all I got said to me was, ''you're too old for that!'', ''you're old enough to know better!'', ''you should be more grown-up now!'', ''you are a big girl now!'', ''you're acting like a 10-year-old!'', ''I thought you'd be past that now!'', ''that is so childish for someone of your age!''

Funny thing is, now 2 of my younger cousins are 14 and 15, everyone's like, ''aw, they're still children at their ages, they are allowed to act immature.....'' :?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

stumbling_forward wrote:
indyadam wrote:
I think adulthood is standing up and pushing through life even when all you want to do is sit down and scream out "FOUL!! !"

I think that's an adult as hell thing to say, sir. Here's my phrasing for the same sentimental, a sort of personal mantra for hard times (i.e. Life):

The Only Way Out is Through

Regards to all.

And at the end of the long bleak tunnel you get to look forward to failing health. Sorry this topic is ultra-depressing to me.

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

I'm 22, but I don't feel like an adult, since I am still financially dependent on my family. But I have had some adult moments. the most recent one was going to jury duty. Its funny because I really wanted to be part of the jury.(I had a criminology major at the time and it was a murder case. I really wanted to be part of the jury) I got rejected, but that was my real "adult" moment attended those first sessions.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 4:26 pm

22, when I moved out of state for grad school and swore I was never moving home (loved 'em, but they all smoked like chimneys, and were in total denial about my respiratory problems - which turned out to be real, and due to asthma and a severe allergy to cigarette smoke!)

I had to make it work, so I did. And that was the threshold. And I haven't had pneumonia in thirty years.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 10:09 pm

i regularly tell people that i am secretely 15, so.... not yet, haha!

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2018, 12:09 am

I don't know. I don't think anybody ever releases their grip on at least remnants of their childhood and emotional immaturity. I believe about 80% of adult pursuits are childlike in nature when they're broken down; I want that shiny car, I need somebody to act as an emotional crutch, I need money to have everything I like to buy, etc. These are all echoes of childhood in my eyes.

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
I still don't to be honest..I think. How do you define "Adult"?

One who does not have the mannerisms of a child and knows exactly what they're doing and awareness of society and themselves... Aspies obviously have less social skills than the Average Joe and develop later in their youth, but eventually become adults.

Children have awareness of society and themselves. Adults just control it better and act more maturely, but it cannot be quantified. By this premise alone, children as young as five or six could be classified as adults. Children can also have more mature mannerisms than their adult counterparts.

The issue with "adulthood" is that I don't even really think it exists. It's abstract and ethereal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 12:27 am

never.

gushingwind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2018, 3:02 pm

18 i guess. cause i could go to clubs then and buy my own alcohol. and get my Ps (which i'm only just doing now, 4 years later). otherwise i don't really feel adultlike at all

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 4:36 pm

Mythos wrote:
I don't know. I don't think anybody ever releases their grip on at least remnants of their childhood and emotional immaturity. I believe about 80% of adult pursuits are childlike in nature when they're broken down; I want that shiny car, I need somebody to act as an emotional crutch, I need money to have everything I like to buy, etc. These are all echoes of childhood in my eyes.

muslimmetalhead wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
I still don't to be honest..I think. How do you define "Adult"?

One who does not have the mannerisms of a child and knows exactly what they're doing and awareness of society and themselves... Aspies obviously have less social skills than the Average Joe and develop later in their youth, but eventually become adults.

Children have awareness of society and themselves. Adults just control it better and act more maturely, but it cannot be quantified. By this premise alone, children as young as five or six could be classified as adults. Children can also have more mature mannerisms than their adult counterparts.

The issue with "adulthood" is that I don't even really think it exists. It's abstract and ethereal.

I agree with you and think what you've said is deeply true. In some ways I felt like an adult when doing some adult things as early as six such as smoking cigarettes fairly regularly on the one hand and on the other, not really ever feeling like a true "adult".

A fundamental realization I had at some point as a child, which realigned my view of the world, was witnessing childish behavior by adults. Up until a point, I didn't think it was possible for adults to act like children or like babies. It's so true that some people act like immature children but walk around in adult bodies. It's sad and disappointing.

ck990
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2018, 1:28 am

I don't feel like an adult. Its a misconception that teens who turn 18 automatically feel and think like adults.

I think actually when people turn around 25 that people start to fully feel and think like adults.

But everybody is different, full adult maturity is not a specific year. Some might fully feel like an adult in 23, some might feel fully adult in 26 and so on. It depends on the person and the way of life that person has to deal with. There are manchilds in their 20s all over youtube who seem to be too immature for their age. For some people it takes more time to fully mature into true adults, but for others its faster.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 1:38 am

studies I have read, have said that the human brain doesn't reach full frontal lobe maturity until age 30 or so.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Aug 2018, 2:09 am

I feel like an adult, I'm 25. I've been very independent from the age of 18 when I moved to live on my own. Lately though I've discovered my childish side again cause I got tired of acting so damn serious and grown-up all the time. It's healthy, I think, to be childlike at times, enjoy little things in life, get overly excited about icecream or puppies and want to play boardgames with your younger cousins and be silly at times.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 2:20 am

^^^^ :wtg:

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

I'm going to be 27 in November and I'm still waiting...

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 4:18 pm

I feel too young to be considered an adult.