What is your favorite foreign language?

Page 2 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm

Once, a shy girl on my track team who had never talked to me before came up to me and asked if I spoke Polish. (I don't speak Polish or any other similar language. Or any foreign language really.) She said she was in love with Polish and really wanted to learn it. The funny part was when I brought that up another time but it turned out I was talking to her identical twin. :oops: :lol:

And just so nobody gets mad at me for not answering the question, it's Spanish. I no longer speak it very well, but I can translate written Spanish pretty well and occasionally I can understand what people are saying.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 12:31 am

Probably Japanese and Russian. Tie between the two. Japanese is pretty odd, as it's all syllabic. Russian has just a nice...flow...to it, though. Like Russian for some reason sounds like a rougher version of French.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

Italian and Welsh. I'll always end up going into an obsession where I learn more of it. I speak very little though :(

genly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2012, 8:18 pm

Greek sounds beautiful but I don't understand it.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

German.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:02 am

I'm currently trying to learn Dutch, but I'd love to learn German and Hebrew as well. My favourite language to listen to is German, it just sounds 'right' to me. I also like the sound of Arabic, but it's not something I would learn.

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2012, 4:39 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
I'm currently trying to learn Dutch, but I'd love to learn German and Hebrew as well. My favourite language to listen to is German, it just sounds 'right' to me. I also like the sound of Arabic, but it's not something I would learn.

You should live in my country. We learn german in school from the 7th grade.
I also like arabic thats why I call myself AspieSharaf. Sharaf means "honor" in arabic.
I have studied arabic for 3 years or so. Its really a hard language. The verbs are really a challenge, and I wont even talk about how hard it is to learn the alfabet. :wall:
If you want to study a middle east language, then I would recommend farsi, its much easier to learn for a person with an indoeuropean language as his or hers native language.
And also the verbs on farsi are 10 times easier than on arabic, IMO

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 7:04 am

AspieSharaf wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:

You should live in my country. We learn german in school from the 7th grade.
I also like arabic thats why I call myself AspieSharaf. Sharaf means "honor" in arabic.
I have studied arabic for 3 years or so. Its really a hard language. The verbs are really a challenge, and I wont even talk about how hard it is to learn the alfabet. :wall:
If you want to study a middle east language, then I would recommend farsi, its much easier to learn for a person with an indoeuropean language as his or hers native language.
And also the verbs on farsi are 10 times easier than on arabic, IMO

I did learn German at school, but only for two years and the standard of teaching was not great. We had a school exchange programme and some German girls came to visit us, but they couldn't understand what our teacher was saying to them in German, which was a bit worrying! That was a long time ago and I have forgotten all of it, except how to say 'The dog has eaten my homework'.

Farsi sounds interesting, perhaps I shall add that to my list of languages. Arabic does sound very difficult, and I must admit I struggled with the Hebrew lettering system even though it is quite simple in many ways I find it quite difficult to learn a new script so for the time being I am going stick to languages that use the Latin alphabet.

AspieSharaf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2012, 9:23 am

SilkySifaka wrote:

I did learn German at school, but only for two years and the standard of teaching was not great. We had a school exchange programme and some German girls came to visit us, but they couldn't understand what our teacher was saying to them in German, which was a bit worrying! That was a long time ago and I have forgotten all of it, except how to say 'The dog has eaten my homework'.

Farsi sounds interesting, perhaps I shall add that to my list of languages. Arabic does sound very difficult, and I must admit I struggled with the Hebrew lettering system even though it is quite simple in many ways I find it quite difficult to learn a new script so for the time being I am going stick to languages that use the Latin alphabet.

Hmm.. I would like to come and teach german in that school of yours, it dosent sounds like it require a lot of work. But... The obstacle here is though, that my psychiatrist strongly recommend that I dont work as a teacher.
If you want an "exotic" somewhat middle-east language with a latin alphabet, then there is always turkish! But be aware :!: It's structure is totally different from our danish, dutch, german or english
and its an agglutinate language 8O

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 7:00 pm

Astra logos

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2012, 8:11 pm

Lakota and German. I would kill to be able to fluently speak either. I took a tiny amount of German in high school and I regret not sticking with it.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

Japanese and Korean.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 1:21 am

esperanto, since i heard william shatner speaking it in the movie "incubus"

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 2:22 am

I guess a tie between Japanese and Mandarin although Korean is starting to piq my curiosity as well as Cantonese and Vietnamese!! I am semi fluent in Mandarin and starting to catch up on bits and pieces of Japanese. I am half tempted to take a Japanese class next quarter.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 3:52 pm

I like hebrew, although I've only ever managed to learn the alphabet and a few basic prayers. I like sanskrit too. And latin.
Maybe I just like languages I've used for prayers.

German is one of my least favourite languages. And I find arabic difficult to listen to. Both have an aggressive sound to me.

French sounds quite beautiful, as does spanish.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

Я люблю русский язык.