Methods for an Aspie to learn Goa'uld as quiz preparation

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2012, 4:50 pm

Someone has challenged me to a quiz on Stargate and let slip that he will have a few questions about the Goa'uld language. So basically in response to this I would like to be able to walk in, answer a couple of his Goa'uld questions, then say one or two sentences in Goa'uld. Plus I'd like to be able to surprise him by making a couple of my questions about Ancient. I did French for 7 years at school and German for 6. I left with no worse than a C at A-Level in both. Ancient seems easy because even since the first time I looked at it I recognized similarities with Latin, which I was also good at before I had to drop it to continue with the other two.

The problem is that, possibly because I'm an Aspie, all that subject, direct object, indirect object logic is beyond me. I discovered recently, whilst brushing up on French, that I would have to think really, really hard before I would get it. So basically what I want to try to figure out is an easier way for me to learn Goa'uld please. I hope it's not a case of "I'm not a raw cadet anymore", to quote, umm, Scotty I think. I'm in my late 20s and have just started watching SG-1 from the start on TV whilst waiting for the complete collection to finally be back in stock. Hopefully it's just a case of low confidence. I'm certainly no Daniel Jackson at the moment!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 12:30 am

The Goa'uld language had an influence on Ancient Egyptian, so maybe you can start with that?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ10x6lLJfg[/youtube]

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2013, 4:32 pm

Hi

Thanks. The quiz has been shelved for now because I was studying up for it too intensively & therefore risking stress. Plus I'm currently brushing up on my Deutsch so I had to leave time for that! However your reply has made me think about the topic again and I've realised that unless I've missed something, there isn't enough of the vocabulary in the episodes to learn it the proper way. For instance, I've learnt French and German to Advanced (A) Level and I learnt a lot of vocab! Since it's fictional the writers could have had say Dr. Jackson learning it from books without actually having what he's learning read aloud.

So if I ever do decide to learn it, it will probably involve looking it up on say GateWorld and just memorizing the words that are in it. Thanks anyway, if I ever want to learn Ancient Egyptian on its own I'll know where to start.