Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2015, 8:19 pm

Well, if you think about it, does anything really ever exist? I mean, there are so many things in this universe, so how can they all be real? Oh, wait, you said he's a psychiatrist, not a philosopher...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 8:25 pm

^ The existence of Aspergers is as real as the existence of solipsism. :D

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2015, 8:42 pm

Yes and the moon doesn't exist either. :roll:

yes I know this thread was necroed but I have always wanted to use the eye roll face kthx

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm

Quote:
My opinion: these doctors are annoyed because they figured they could stop learning after med school was done, so further, newer information really just pizzes them off.

In general, medical doctors don't view psychiatric highly, they don't consider it as a real science.

and they are right, psychiatry is too trial/error thing and it's still too based on behavior listing which is prone to subjectivity and social constructivism.

Read this paper: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

It is so possible to say that AS is a social construct thing, however this cannot be said for Down Syndrome or William's Syndrome, because these two conditions really exist due to specific mutations in the DNA.

AS' DNA makeup is still unknown - it doesn't have any clear genetic definition.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 12:12 pm

Norny wrote:

yes I know this thread was necroed but I have always wanted to use the eye roll face kthx

Moon exists, you can see it, you can send a shuttle to it and touch it.

This analogy makes no sense.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2015, 3:22 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Norny wrote:

it doesnt have to because neither does this thread

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2015, 4:08 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Norny wrote:

Well, you can see and send shuttles to and touch AS/ASD people too. :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 1:19 am

Yep, I agree, Asperger's doesn't eggsist, only Eggsperger's eggsists.

OMG, I am so brilliant, I just found new way to use egg.

I will formulate my own syndrome called Eggsperger's Syndrome.

Lemme think over its diagnostic criteria in my dreams tonite.

I predict that Eggsperger's Syndrome will become much more popular than Asperger's Syndrome, because Eggspergers doesn't sound like @$$burgers.

Instead, it invokes wonderful associations with sausage egg mcmuffins, which I can get from mcdonalds right now if I wanted to, yum yum yum, but I prefer the kind with the hardboiled eggs wrapped in cylindrical sausage in burrito.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 2:53 am

btbnnyr wrote:

I predict that Eggsperger's Syndrome will become much more popular than Asperger's Syndrome, because Eggspergers doesn't sound like @$$burgers.

Instead, it invokes wonderful associations with sausage egg mcmuffins, which I can get from mcdonalds right now if I wanted to, yum yum yum, but I prefer the kind with the hardboiled eggs wrapped in cylindrical sausage in burrito.

LOL :lol:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:17 am

why was this obvious bait thread bumped twice?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:27 am

Because we haven't seen the final end yet?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 10:06 am

NowhereWoman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Norny wrote:

Doesnt matter how many aspies you can touch, you cant touch aspergers syndrome itself. You can see the moon right there in the night sky even without riding the space shuttle.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2015, 11:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Norny wrote:

Doesnt matter how many aspies you can touch, you cant touch aspergers syndrome itself. You can see the moon right there in the night sky even without riding the space shuttle.

And you can see AS behavior with your own eyes, too. If you called the moon something else - say, Craterville or Jo Shmo The Round Thing - that wouldn't mean "the moon" had never existed because somebody had gotten the terminology all wrong, would it? Nor that it doesn't exist now? Deciding to STOP calling a collection of behaviors and thought processes Asperger Syndrome and calling it something else or else just not calling it anything at all doesn't take away the collection of behaviors and thought processes...correct?

If you're sad and I can't touch your sad, does that mean you're not actually sad and in fact, there's no such thing as sadness? If you love music, and I can't touch your love-music, does that mean you don't love music and in fact there's no such thing as loving music? If you're good at math and I can't touch your good-at-math, does that mean you're not good at math? In fact, I can't touch math, period (and neither can you). Perhaps math simply doesn't exist, it's a misnomer and people just like to make stuff up about there "being" math.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2015, 11:39 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
why was this obvious bait thread bumped twice?

Well, if you go back and look at the posts that bumped it the first and then second time, you can see the people's opinions on the thread or perhaps just PM them and ask them yourself.

IMO, most of the time threads get bumped it's because the person happened to come across them (or come across them again), due to a search or some other such thing, and the subject of the thread is still relevant to them.

I didn't see the thread as bait but who knows; I could be wrong.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 4:26 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

You must be an eggsistentialist.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 6:19 am

NowhereWoman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
NowhereWoman wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Norny wrote:

And you can see AS behavior with your own eyes, too. If you called the moon something else - say, Craterville or Jo Shmo The Round Thing - that wouldn't mean "the moon" had never existed because somebody had gotten the terminology all wrong, would it? Nor that it doesn't exist now? Deciding to STOP calling a collection of behaviors and thought processes Asperger Syndrome and calling it something else or else just not calling it anything at all doesn't take away the collection of behaviors and thought processes...correct?

If you're sad and I can't touch your sad, does that mean you're not actually sad and in fact, there's no such thing as sadness? If you love music, and I can't touch your love-music, does that mean you don't love music and in fact there's no such thing as loving music? If you're good at math and I can't touch your good-at-math, does that mean you're not good at math? In fact, I can't touch math, period (and neither can you). Perhaps math simply doesn't exist, it's a misnomer and people just like to make stuff up about there "being" math.

I am arguing the existence of AS as a biological syndrome; which despite all the research done on it, it is still not yet defined nor determined biologically.

Sadness and happiness might not be defined biologically yet, I dunno, I didn't look into it but these are emotions that 100% of humans know that they existed since eons, this isn't the case of AS.

Again, it's an analogy that doesn't make much sense, AS is supposedly to be deeper than a mere mood or emotion. What aspies often define AS, that is a particular brain wiring, different than the majority of humans. But how can we prove it that it not simply a personality type? a set of characters and personality traits? That it is not simply socially constructed that someone simply gave it a label?

AS is like that teapot in the space, you can't prove it, but you cannot disapprove it as well.