A simple logical reasoning test

Page 7 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:24 am

I'm not mocking people for not being able to get laid. You're reading a lot into what I say that isn't actually there, aSKsperger.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:25 am

aSKperger wrote:
Quote:
Hey, if they can't take it online, they are certainly not going to handle it well in the bedroom. Laughing

So obviously, any mocking on my part would be out of the kindness of my heart.
Gotta thicken up the poor guy's... skin.

Benevolent discord, I call it. Criticism isn't the end of the world; it can be the beginning of a new one, though.

hyperlexian - are you ok with this. Is this ok according by site rules? Humiliation of this calibre?!

Yeah there is good critism n then there is plane "you're being a real @$$" so yeah, one must find a balance between that good critism that helps people toughen up, and that critism that makes u look like a real @$$

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:26 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I'm not mocking people for not being able to get laid. You're reading a lot into what I say that isn't actually there, aSKsperger.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 3:30 am

bizboy1 wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Premise A: Most x are y.
Premise B: C is an x.
Premise C: Therefore, C is a y.

If the word "Therefore" hadn't been there, it could have been "Not enough information to tell", but as it stands now, it is "False", and "Premise C" is actually a conclusion(which makes it false).

Perhaps you really meant for the word "Therefore" to never have been there in the first place?

Agreed. Seems basic enough.

You didn't read the whole thread, did you?
If you had, you would have seen on page 3 that I clarified that yes, it was a mistake.
So were you
- Too lazy to read the whole thread?
- Not in possession of a sufficient attention span to read the whole thread?
- Suffering from literacy problems?

Or maybe you did read, saw my post clearing things up, and just decided to be a dick.

Look. I have word retrieval problems. Sometimes I try to get one word, and my brain sends out another. That is what happened here. Can people please stop harping on about it?

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
If you had, you would have seen on page 3 that I clarified that yes, it was a mistake.
So were you
(...)

Who in their right mind would read all 6 pages of answers before answering a "simple logical reasoning test", I sure wouldn't.

I suggest you make a new thread without typos, this thread is lost. :D

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:09 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
aSKperger wrote:
And add to your answer why do you mock someone who can't get laid?

Hey, if they can't take it online, they are certainly not going to handle it well in the bedroom. :lol:

Don't worry - it doesn't offend me at all. What does offend me is that most people here seem to misintepret what I'm saying. What I'm saying is not that all women look primarily for status and all men look primarily for looks, but I'm saying research has shown that generally, women look primarily for status and men look primarily for looks. Those are observed criteria for selecting a partner. It's a shame that academic research is dismissed in favour of romantic ideas that wouldn't be misplaced in a romantic comedy.

In order to make this discussion a bit more interesting, here's some of the research that I've based my point of view on. This one mainly goes to show that the women feeling offended when I tell them their stated preferences probably don't match their actual preferences have no reason at all to be offended. Just try to understand the situation. Life is not a romantic comedy, and your ideals will not change reality.

Different cognitive processes underlie human mate choices and mate preferences wrote:
Discussion and Conclusions
Before a speed-dating event, we asked participants to indicate their own self-perceived level on a variety of traits and the preferred level of their ideal mate on those same traits. We compared these with the trait levels of the people they actually chose to make offers to while speed-dating. Our results show that although both men and women stated that they prefer mates who possess attributes similar to their own (likes-attract), their actual choices told a different story: Men’s choices did not reflect their stated preferences or their self-perceptions. Instead, men appeared to base their decisions mostly on the physical attractiveness of the women. They also appeared to be much less choosy, as reflected in the greater number of offers made by men compared with women (cf. ref. 22). One interpretation of these results is that men ‘‘propose’’ to nearly every woman above some certain attractiveness threshold, independent of their own desirability as a mate. This is in line with Grammer et al. (27) who found that men’s preferences for women’s physical attractiveness are best described as an avoidance of unattractiveness ( see also ref. 28 ).

Although women’s actual choices, like men’s, did not reflect their stated preferences, they made more discriminating choices: They appeared to be aware of the importance to men of their own physical attractiveness, and they used their self-perception to adjust their aspiration level and picked only a few men with traits that matched their own desirability as a mate. Thus, both men’s and women’s choices were influenced by women’s physical attractiveness. This pattern of results is in line with evolutionary models of human mating based on parental investment theory: Unlike men, women face a tradeoff between a mate’s quality, both phenotypic and genetic (for which physical attractiveness is used as a cue) and his willingness to provide paternal investment (2, 24, 29). As a consequence, it is more adaptive for women to take into account how likely potential mates are to be committed to them and hence aim for mates of similar quality, instead of simply aiming for the most attractive mates. A small number of good matches also helps women to reduce unnecessary mating effort and to lower the risks associated with further in-depth screening of potential mates; thus, the speed-dating process can have important advantages for women. In the context of speed-dating at least, self-reported mate preferences deviate markedly from actual mate choices. As with desires [e.g., for sexual variety (1 and 30)] and fantasies (31), stated preferences can be useful for understanding how evolution has biased the male and female mind in different directions, but they are a fallible base for discovering the process mechanisms of real choice behavior, as Buston and Emlen (6) aimed to do. Contrary to the concerns raised by Buston and Emlen (and subsequently ref. 32), the mate choice patterns of men and women, as we have found by analyzing speed-dating, are very much in line with the theories of Darwin (23) and Trivers (24). Furthermore, these patterns imply that the well documented phenomenon of human positive assortative mating (e.g., refs. 33 and 34), at least when it arises through active mate choice rather than social homogamy, is almost exclusively a result of the picky female choices, not the rather undiscriminating male ones. In this way, humans put themselves in line with most other mammals in following Darwin’s (23) principle of choosy females and competitive males, even if humans say something different.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/38/1501 ... 1d6ed20b0e

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

If the word "Therefore" hadn't been there, it could have been "Not enough information to tell", but as it stands now, it is "False", and "Premise C" is actually a conclusion(which makes it false).

Perhaps you really meant for the word "Therefore" to never have been there in the first place?

So were you

Or maybe you did read, saw my post clearing things up, and just decided to be a dick.

Look. I have word retrieval problems. Sometimes I try to get one word, and my brain sends out another. That is what happened here. Can people please stop harping on about it?

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
Blownmind wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

So were you

haha, nice. Too lazy to write :D Bold will do it.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2012, 2:55 pm

Who_Am_I - I am sorry, the mocking and humuliating of HisDivineMajesty was started by edgewaters http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4770435.html#4770435 continued by i_Am_andaJoy http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4770913.html#4770913
and some others did agree. I do not know if you did too, I do not have power left to search, but it seems I mixed up . So my apology :oops:

Teredia - I love criticism. Maybe Sun Tzu said it? "I was lucky in my life. Everytime I made a mistake, they criticised me..."
It is the best way how to improve ourselves. But, this is direct insult, not an offer to help. Jeez to make fun of someone's sex life? That's just too much...

HisDivineMajesty - 8) your nick is not accidental :lol: Keep it that cool way.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Quote:
Hey, if they can't take it online, they are certainly not going to handle it well in the bedroom. Laughing

Benevolent discord, I call it. Criticism isn't the end of the world; it can be the beginning of a new one, though.

hyperlexian - are you ok with this. Is this ok according by site rules? Humiliation of this calibre?!

ok with what?

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2012, 7:54 pm

all this fun about Majesty's sex life

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:00 pm

aSKperger wrote:
all this fun about Majesty's sex life

he wasn't mocked or anything - he is open about his lack of experience. edgewaters and i_Am_andaJoy neither named him nor made fun of him. i think you are drawing conclusions that do not exist. for further reference, please report any suspected rule violations privately, or post on this thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt181777.html

thank you.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:

:D hah! just like i said.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:04 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
aSKperger wrote:
And add to your answer why do you mock someone who can't get laid?

Hey, if they can't take it online, they are certainly not going to handle it well in the bedroom. :lol:

Don't worry - it doesn't offend me at all. What does offend me is that most people here seem to misintepret what I'm saying. What I'm saying is not that all women look primarily for status and all men look primarily for looks, but I'm saying research has shown that generally, women look primarily for status and men look primarily for looks. Those are observed criteria for selecting a partner. It's a shame that academic research is dismissed in favour of romantic ideas that wouldn't be misplaced in a romantic comedy.

In order to make this discussion a bit more interesting, here's some of the research that I've based my point of view on. This one mainly goes to show that the women feeling offended when I tell them their stated preferences probably don't match their actual preferences have no reason at all to be offended. Just try to understand the situation. Life is not a romantic comedy, and your ideals will not change reality.

Different cognitive processes underlie human mate choices and mate preferences wrote:
Discussion and Conclusions
Before a speed-dating event, we asked participants to indicate their own self-perceived level on a variety of traits and the preferred level of their ideal mate on those same traits. We compared these with the trait levels of the people they actually chose to make offers to while speed-dating. Our results show that although both men and women stated that they prefer mates who possess attributes similar to their own (likes-attract), their actual choices told a different story: Men’s choices did not reflect their stated preferences or their self-perceptions. Instead, men appeared to base their decisions mostly on the physical attractiveness of the women. They also appeared to be much less choosy, as reflected in the greater number of offers made by men compared with women (cf. ref. 22). One interpretation of these results is that men ‘‘propose’’ to nearly every woman above some certain attractiveness threshold, independent of their own desirability as a mate. This is in line with Grammer et al. (27) who found that men’s preferences for women’s physical attractiveness are best described as an avoidance of unattractiveness ( see also ref. 28 ).

Although women’s actual choices, like men’s, did not reflect their stated preferences, they made more discriminating choices: They appeared to be aware of the importance to men of their own physical attractiveness, and they used their self-perception to adjust their aspiration level and picked only a few men with traits that matched their own desirability as a mate. Thus, both men’s and women’s choices were influenced by women’s physical attractiveness. This pattern of results is in line with evolutionary models of human mating based on parental investment theory: Unlike men, women face a tradeoff between a mate’s quality, both phenotypic and genetic (for which physical attractiveness is used as a cue) and his willingness to provide paternal investment (2, 24, 29). As a consequence, it is more adaptive for women to take into account how likely potential mates are to be committed to them and hence aim for mates of similar quality, instead of simply aiming for the most attractive mates. A small number of good matches also helps women to reduce unnecessary mating effort and to lower the risks associated with further in-depth screening of potential mates; thus, the speed-dating process can have important advantages for women. In the context of speed-dating at least, self-reported mate preferences deviate markedly from actual mate choices. As with desires [e.g., for sexual variety (1 and 30)] and fantasies (31), stated preferences can be useful for understanding how evolution has biased the male and female mind in different directions, but they are a fallible base for discovering the process mechanisms of real choice behavior, as Buston and Emlen (6) aimed to do. Contrary to the concerns raised by Buston and Emlen (and subsequently ref. 32), the mate choice patterns of men and women, as we have found by analyzing speed-dating, are very much in line with the theories of Darwin (23) and Trivers (24). Furthermore, these patterns imply that the well documented phenomenon of human positive assortative mating (e.g., refs. 33 and 34), at least when it arises through active mate choice rather than social homogamy, is almost exclusively a result of the picky female choices, not the rather undiscriminating male ones. In this way, humans put themselves in line with most other mammals in following Darwin’s (23) principle of choosy females and competitive males, even if humans say something different.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/38/1501 ... 1d6ed20b0e

edit: no, my mistake. they used a speed-dating event. speed dating does not indicate which mates a person chooses to actually bond with for the long term - it is a signal of initial attractiveness only, and it is based on a situation where people are perceived to have too much choice. people's ratings of each other changes over the long term, once they get to know each other or start dating, and THAT is how the decisions are made. not in an instant.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 14 Jul 2012, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:05 pm

aSKperger wrote:
Who_Am_I - I am sorry, the mocking and humuliating of HisDivineMajesty was started by edgewaters http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4770435.html#4770435

That's not mockery. It's a simple observation of fact. I didn't call him any names or anything like that. I didn't reveal anything he hasn't publicly revealed himself. I didn't state it in disparaging terms ("he has not had any luck" is certainly not disparaging). If his factual behaviour is embarrassing ... that's still not a humiliation, its just an observation. I don't feel any particular duty to refrain from making observations that are true, provided I don't state them using disparaging language.

Nor was the intent to humiliate - but to demonstrate that what you implied was not, in fact, true of the attitudes you sought to criticize - but in fact true of those you were supporting. I still maintain that Majesty fits perfectly the character "John" that you had used in your analogy, in a factual manner.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
they used a speed-dating event. speed dating does not indicate which mates a person chooses to actually bond with for the long term - it is a signal of initial attractiveness only, and it is based on a situation where people are perceived to have too much choice. people's ratings of each other changes over the long term, once they get to know each other or start dating, and THAT is how the decisions are made. not in an instant.

Initial attraction starts only approximately all relationships of any kind ever in mankind's history.
Whether or not you talk to a person, even in a friendly manner, depends on your initial attraction to that person.

And apparently, initial attraction depends mainly on physical beauty in women and status in men.