Is over analyzing things or reading into things part of AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Michellen2008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
It could be part of both AS and anxiety.

I think that not only do a lot of us over analyze, but we load hidden meaning into our own words. You can see evidence of this on WP. A lot of people go off on certain posts, and they seem to be thinking stuff is there that isn't. Also, I find myself MEANING a lot of things in my words that others do not pick up on.

So, you can read too much into a innocent statement. And you might be expecting others to pick up on something you think is obvious but it's invisible to others.

That's me! I take things the wrong way or am sensitive or misunderstand or people take me the wrong way or I word things wrong and then I say I'm sorry that sounded mean and I have to re-think things in a different way and how I meant to say something. It's frustrating. I do this all the time and everyone gets so mad at me - it's line only if they knew what I was trying to say. Ugh :(

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2012, 9:50 pm

When I was a kid I didn't analyze at all, I was carefree until I inevitably would end up in confusing and unpleasant social situations.

Now I analyze all the time, because it keeps me out of trouble, but it's also exhausting.

Michellen2008

18 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

AJCoyne wrote:
It could be part of both. I don't think it's particularly important to know the cause...personally I do the same, I over-think things to death, so much so that my head hurts. I hate it and it seems to be a trait that I can't shake.

I'm like this too. I'll constantly think about how someone meant something until my mind is "stuck" on the subject and that's all I'm thinking about. I'll become so stressed thinking they meant the worst and start crying from stress or pacing until someone can explain to me how something was meant and calms me down like my boyfriend had to tell me what his ex-wife meant on some things we discussed about his prior children from their marriage.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm

Everyone seems to always be telling me I think too much or notice things others miss. Do I over-analyze things? Yes, always have, always will. It's the only way I can keep myself from making too many mistakes. As to what I attribute it to, it's hard to say. I have dealt with anxiety issues of one kind or another since my age was in the single digits and am not really certain yet if I have AS or ADHD with lots of AS like traits. Some of it is definitely related to anxiety but some of it is just the way I always am.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Michellen2008 wrote:
Ok I tend to read into things when my anxiety is up or think something meant this or that when it didn't. I been told when I was 16 I had aspergers ADHD bipolar and anxiety. Is this part of my anxiety or aspergers? I tend to take things the wrong way or think something totally different of a situation and people have told me I'm taking things the wrong way calm down and "stop over analyzing things". I don't exactly know what this means but is it part of AS or anxiety? I'm a bit confused what it means. Thanks.

Michelle
Well, I definitely do this...

My mum always has to tell me to stop worrying about things and to calm down. Although, she mostly just leaves me to stress so I calm myself down.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 6:39 am

Does anyone else require days sometimes to work out major life issues or problems that arise? For me if I don't have a lot of time to think about things, I do things impulsively and drive my anxiety through the roof.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

kirayng wrote:
Does anyone else require days sometimes to work out major life issues or problems that arise? For me if I don't have a lot of time to think about things, I do things impulsively and drive my anxiety through the roof.

Yep I've definitely been know to both things you describe, I also sometimes stop what i should be doing work-wise (or am only half comiitted to what I shold be doing) while I try to figure things out.

I wonder if this is a processing problem, my mind struggling to handle more than one complex thing at once.