Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

cmoonbeam1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2012, 3:52 pm

Hey all. I am pretty sure I am an aspie. Recently, though, in the past year or so, I've noticed that I'm developing tics. Not stims - I'm pretty positive I know what those are like.

In particular, I have been scrunching up the left side of my face, jerking my head back, jerking and twisting my shoulders, jerking my head to the left...and I'm very twitchy all over when I'm nervous. Sometimes I will experience a shudder, followed immediately by a "ba" sound... sometimes I exhale quick through my nose. I never had involuntary tics like this before...at least I don't think I did. I'm almost 25 and I'm just experiencing this now.

I experienced a traumatic event about 3 years ago now. I became numb from it and developed some OCD-like tendencies. I still feel as if I'm very different than I used to be, because of it. My anxiety is different now... I've had it my whole life, but now it's like there's this repressed, abrasive, sandpapery type feeling inside of me... I repress my feelings, as I have been doing since the incident, and I don't know how to stop doing that. Some days are better than others.

I have always had OCD-like tendencies. I picked my skin severely for as long as I can remember.

I guess I'm a bit worried about these tics. They increase more and more. I wonder if they are PTSD-related? OCD related? Anxiety related? It's like there's an ill emotional beast inside of me that can't get out. It feels as if repressed emotions are causing this. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is there such a thing as late-onset Tourette's?

SQ = 48
Your Aspie score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 53 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:56 pm

Considering the age it is probaply through the trauma, but you have to go to an Tourette-expert to be sure.
Late onset Tourette is very rare. Just 1% of the people with Tourette have actually late onset Tourette. 99% get it before the age of 18, most a lot younger.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

Most likely stress. Though there are non-psychological causes for tourettism.
Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourettism