If James Holmes has Asperger's, the rest of us are DOOMED.

Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

NTAndrew wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
psychlogy expert on cnn says schizophrenia most likely.i think its safe to say people with autism reputation is safe

Relax guys! The heat is off. Now we'll be hearing how all schizophrenics are dangerous and should be locked up. Or worse...
yes good point.

my two posts were based on what psychology experts on CNN said specificly about james holmes.both my posts were made after the comments of two different guests on CNN.it is not my personal opinion schyzophrenics are dangerous and that was not my intent of my posts

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 6:37 am

NTAndrew wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
psychlogy expert on cnn says schizophrenia most likely.i think its safe to say people with autism reputation is safe

Relax guys! The heat is off. Now we'll be hearing how all schizophrenics are dangerous and should be locked up. Or worse...

We've been hearing that nonstop since schizophrenia became a diagnosis, and the unspoken truth of the matter is that people with schizophrenia who go batshit insane and attack people are also usually the kind who are not receiving treatment.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:27 am

LennytheWicked wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

We've been hearing that nonstop since schizophrenia became a diagnosis, and the unspoken truth of the matter is that people with schizophrenia who go batshit insane and attack people are also usually the kind who are not receiving treatment.
Ok,take it up with CNN.
I simply posted this to asure people that holmes is not autistic

Weirto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2012, 9:42 pm

When I heard about his odd behavior, and saw his "thousand yard stare". I actually suspected myself that he might be an aspie before I heard anyone else mention it. But even if he is an aspie, that wouldn't be the reason he snapped. My theory is the long term social isolation caused a lot of angry and warped thinking, and made him feel like he needed to take revenge on "normal people". It is possible that a lot of ignorant people that have no understanding of AS, may try to lump aspies into the same category as sociopaths if it is found out that he has AS.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 4:07 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Ok,take it up with CNN.

The lady I saw on CNN did say "Schizophrenia is a treatable degenerative disorder." Now if people would sit still and listen for two seconds they would get the implication that treatable does not mean cureable and does not mean that everyone is getting treatment. Since Holmes had his little period of odd behavior, it's quite possible that he was untreated schizophrenic.

Or maybe he has a brain tumor. I always just kind of assume that the brain's doing something it shouldn't - and a tumor is definitely something it shouldn't be doing.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2012, 6:28 am

vermontsavant wrote:

I don't think anybody can asure anyone about whatever it is that Holmes has or why he did what he did, or why he behaves and behaved the way he does. There's still too little information. It'll take some months until we'll get some real information.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

we should kill them first

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Ok,take it up with CNN.

The lady I saw on CNN did say "Schizophrenia is a treatable degenerative disorder." Now if people would sit still and listen for two seconds they would get the implication that treatable does not mean cureable and does not mean that everyone is getting treatment. Since Holmes had his little period of odd behavior, it's quite possible that he was untreated schizophrenic.

Or maybe he has a brain tumor. I always just kind of assume that the brain's doing something it shouldn't - and a tumor is definitely something it shouldn't be doing.

I recall how Charles Whitman - the college bell tower shooter in 1960's Texas - had been found to have had a brain tumor pressing against the anger center of his brain during his autopsy. Though it's also true that he had come from a very abusive home, ruled over by a violent father who had mercilessly beaten his wife and children.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

archraphael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

im quite sure holmes was a mentally unstable, probably sociopathic individual. you can see the thousand mile stare in his eyes. like black holes in the sky. dilated pupils is a sign of over-alertness, amphetamine/stimulant use, or, psychosis.
i had that same look to my eyes when i was psychotic while taking dopamine inhibitor Wellbutrin. at the time i had extremely impulsive sexual and violent thoughts, so i can relate to the kind of dream state this guy is living in. in fact i empathize a lot because he is most likely suffering from psychosis.

anyways. he probably has some sociopathic or personality disorder traits as well as, obviously, a case of psychosis. possibly SS/N/DRI induced. during his court hearings he was clearly dozing off on antipsychotics. thats my 2c

in fact im more worried about what this could do to the schizophrenic community

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:41 pm

nrau wrote:
we should kill them first

Uhhhh, come again? O_O

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm

Weirto wrote:
When I heard about his odd behavior, and saw his "thousand yard stare". I actually suspected myself that he might be an aspie before I heard anyone else mention it. But even if he is an aspie, that wouldn't be the reason he snapped. My theory is the long term social isolation caused a lot of angry and warped thinking, and made him feel like he needed to take revenge on "normal people". It is possible that a lot of ignorant people that have no understanding of AS, may try to lump aspies into the same category as sociopaths if it is found out that he has AS.

B-I-N-G-O, and Bingo was his name-o.

First time I saw him, I went, "Oh, s**t, no. NO."

James Holmes has Aspie written all over him. ALL over him.

What's sad is, it's not AS that makes people crazy enough to kill people. It's a lifetime of being isolated, spit upon and told they deserve it, mocked, ridiculed, and labeled a psychopath. Eventually you find yourself thinking, "Let the crime fit the punishment."

Been there, done that, still fighting my way out the other side.

The difference between me and Ted Kaczynski or James Holmes???? I kept fighting. I will keep fighting. When I almost lost the fight, it was myself I was desperately fighting the desire to kill.

If that son-of-a-bitch is an Aspie, I'll start hating him the minute I find out. COPE, you as*hole!! !!

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Aug 2012, 1:13 am

I have read that his psych records have been apprehended by the court and it said that he was being treated at the college by a therapist/psychiatrist there for schizophrenia. His mental health provider was concerned that he could hurt someone, so she told her superiors...like penn state, they did not notify police.
It was stated that he developed sudden onset paranoid schizophrenia and was really getting out of control before he quit school. Once he quit school, it was out of the school's hands.

so no he is not aspie folks. Although some aspies have a schiziod-like subtype and are often mistaken and misdiagnosed as having childhood-onset schizophrenia, the truth of the matter is that childhood onset schizophrenia is very rare, if even a real disorder. Most schizophrenics are kinda odd throughout childhood and adolescence, but usually nothing too noteworthy, and then when they hit early adulthood, schizophrenia sets in, about Holmes' age, between 19-28 years old. There are two ways it can set in, slow onset (which is easier to treat as there is time to convince the patient to go on meds and adjust them), and there is sudden onset (where the mind suddenly shifts into schizophrenia in a matter of a few weeks). Holmes' situation is the worst of the worst as far as what can happen with schizophrenia, but is not the norm. Sudden onset paraniod schizophrenia is worst case scenario...the person spirals out of control and everyone who tries to help is seen as a threat or plotting against them...within a matter of weeks they become unreachable and completely unstable like their brain has been sucked into a black hole.

I, too, worry about the implication of this on other schizophrenics, most are more of a threat to themselves than others.

Jojo

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2012, 9:04 am

jojobean wrote:
I have read that his psych records have been apprehended by the court and it said that he was being treated at the college by a therapist/psychiatrist there for schizophrenia. His mental health provider was concerned that he could hurt someone, so she told her superiors...like penn state, they did not notify police.
It was stated that he developed sudden onset paranoid schizophrenia and was really getting out of control before he quit school. Once he quit school, it was out of the school's hands.

Where have you read that? I've read quiet a lot about this case and what I've read states that he went to see a psychiatrist who specializes (among other things) in schizophrenia in her research (and treats paranoid schizophrenia) but it was never stated why he went to see her. And that she told her superiors and the campus police implies that she saw a threat in Holmes' behaviour but it was never stated why. Where have you read that part about sudden onset of paranoid schizophrenia?
Just yesterday, in the court hearing, his attorneys stated that he is mentally ill but they still need to figure out in what way he is mentally ill (which means no official diagnosis has been made).
jojobean wrote:
Holmes' situation is the worst of the worst as far as what can happen with schizophrenia, but is not the norm. Sudden onset paraniod schizophrenia is worst case scenario...the person spirals out of control and everyone who tries to help is seen as a threat or plotting against them...within a matter of weeks they become unreachable and completely unstable like their brain has been sucked into a black hole.

It's not official that he's got schizophrenia, although (from my POV) he probably got some form of psychotic disorder (and probably got obsessed with certain media). But he obviously tried to seek help in the months and weeks leading to this. Not only this, but even weeks before he was reaching out for persons to talk to him. Social isolation and alienation surely triggered or enhanced his behaviour or thoughts and did play a part in this case. He was lonely and given that he could booby-trap his appartment leads to the conclusion that for quiet some time nobody visited him and he felt safe enough to do something like this (because he expected nobody to visit him).

(Btw, it's possible to have AS and a psychotic disorder but it's also possible that his behavior that could seem AS were just negative symptoms or schizoid-like symptoms of whatever psychotic disorder he probably has.)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:34 pm

I think of a young lady I met on the adult unit, when I was losing my fight.

I hope she's somewhere safe, with smart people who know her and care for her.

Fact: Anybody could be the next deranged shooter. ANYBODY. Denying that fact, trying to prevent it by damning the folks deemed to be "high-risk," just raises the danger factor.

There's help, and then there's help. You know??

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

"James Holmes has Aspie written all over him. ALL over him"

Hit the shower Jimmy ! :lol:

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Fact: Anybody could be the next deranged shooter. ANYBODY. Denying that fact, trying to prevent it by damning the folks deemed to be "high-risk," just raises the danger factor.

There's help, and then there's help. You know??

Sounds legit.
collectoritis wrote:
"James Holmes has Aspie written all over him. ALL over him"

Hit the shower Jimmy ! :lol:

What does that mean?