What 'other' autism spectrum disorder do you have?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

I've seen a lot of people with this option and was curious to know what you had. O_O I know there are quite a few forms other than Asperger Syndrome.

For me, I have an autistic disorder that is considered 'high functioning' but it depends mostly on the mood I'm in too.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

I have Asperger's syndrome and, after digging out the old report, NVLD (which I'm not sure if I can consider as being an "other" autism spectrum condition). Upon researching NVLD, I am of the mind that I was misdiagnosed, hence why I do not mention it.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

nld-non-verbal learning disorder

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:27 pm

I was diagnosed with mild ''high-functioning'' Aspergers Syndrome and Dyspraxia. I don't know what other conditions there are on the spectrum.

I know a female bus-driver who doesn't seem to be Aspie but has a condition that affects her social behaviour an awful lot. She has a lot of speech delays (like talks noticeably slow and can't pronounce words with too many syllables), and she repeats herself a lot to a point where it's noticeable enough to think ''she's already said that about 3 times, I have got the message!'', and she also can't handle unexpected situations properly; she gets all het up over silly small things and gets the hump with people when they haven't done nothing, and seems extremely self-centered, like if she's not happy she takes it out on other people, makes herself out as a victim. She did point out ages ago that she has learning difficulties, and also has trouble mixing - although she can hold brilliant conversations with different people and seems like most passenger's favourite bus-driver. So I don't think she's Aspie and not sure if she's on the spectrum but she does have some sort of disorder that doesn't make her completely neurotypical.

I don't know what that could be. I just find her rather interesting but don't like to interrogate her about her possible condition.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I've seen a lot of people with this option and was curious to know what you had. O_O I know there are quite a few forms other than Asperger Syndrome.

For me, I have an autistic disorder that is considered 'high functioning' but it depends mostly on the mood I'm in too.

You know, I find it funny that Wrong Planet is 'the online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's', and the only options we have to choose from in our profile are 1) 'Have Asperger's , diagnosed', 2) Have Asperger's, undiagnosed, 3) Not sure, 4) Relative with Asperger's, 5) OTHER autism spectrum disorder, 6) neurotypical.

Well, I've had to fill in the option OTHER autism spectrum disorder, because I was actually diagnosed with autistic disorder. Thats right, I am the real deal, baby, accept no substitutes!

But seriously, I wish that 'Diagnosis' form would have the option of putting down 'autistic disorder' or 'PDD-NOS' at least. It strikes me as strange that it is naturally assumed that most members have Asperger syndrome, and that if we have something else, it's such a rare thing that all we can do is set our diagnosis stat on 'other autism spectrum disorder'. Of course, none of it will matter once the DSM-V hits.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:47 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
iheartmegahitt wrote:

You know, I find it funny that Wrong Planet is 'the online resource and community for Autism and Asperger's', and the only options we have to choose from in our profile are 1) 'Have Asperger's , diagnosed', 2) Have Asperger's, undiagnosed, 3) Not sure, 4) Relative with Asperger's, 5) OTHER autism spectrum disorder, 6) neurotypical.

Well, I've had to fill in the option OTHER autism spectrum disorder, because I was actually diagnosed with autistic disorder. Thats right, I am the real deal, baby, accept no substitutes!

But seriously, I wish that 'Diagnosis' form would have the option of putting down 'autistic disorder' or 'PDD-NOS' at least. It strikes me as strange that it is naturally assumed that most members have Asperger syndrome, and that if we have something else, it's such a rare thing that all we can do is set our diagnosis stat on 'other autism spectrum disorder'. Of course, none of it will matter once the DSM-V hits.

Yeah, I agree with this. ><

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

I am actually diagnosed with AS but I actually have PDD-NOS. I think some doctors don't like diagnosing NOS labels so they will go with closest match for a diagnoses. I just say I have AS because it's what I am diagnosed with and it's a spectrum and lot of people are wrongly diagnosed with it on the spectrum when they actually have PDD-NOS or autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I was diagnosed with mild ''high-functioning'' Aspergers Syndrome and Dyspraxia. I don't know what other conditions there are on the spectrum.

:? I thought that if your diagnosis is AS, you're high functioning? But unlike people with HFA, you don't have the speech delay.

I was told that my diagnosis is Autistic Traits. Not very helpful.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

PDD-NOS, also known as atypical autism. I used to be diagnosable with Autistic Disorder, but I talk too well for that now; and besides, my mom refused to get me an evaluation as a kid, even keeping me out of school to avoid having me "labeled". I match the Asperger's characteristics just fine today, but not by history. So... PDD-NOS.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:06 pm

My diagnosis is Asperger's, but I'm pretty sure I should have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS instead. I'm an atypical sort - I'm too passive and withdrawn to be cleanly Asperger's, but too verbal and articulate to be cleanly classic autism. I identify with just "autistic". I used to identify with Asperger's until I learned more about the spectrum.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

:? I thought that if your diagnosis is AS, you're high functioning? But unlike people with HFA, you don't have the speech delay.

I was told that my diagnosis is Autistic Traits. Not very helpful.

I could have Asperger Syndrome but I had a speech delay and i didn't speak until i was four. I struggled so much with speech that I had to be put in speech and langauge therapy until the eighth grade when they told me i didn't need it anymore. D:

I have a lot of aspie traits but because of that one delay plus having other developmental delays too. That and I had it as an infant so that's how they came up with the diagnosis of infantile autism or better known as an autistic disorder.

I really don't know what it is since some people say it's HFA but my official diagnosis I saw in my records on the computer when my therapist had it up was Infantile autism...I never really bothered to talk to my therapist. I guess it can be confusing since I have much better speech and communication. I just have trouble with expressing myself.

I also have undiagnosed Dyspraxia. Upon looking it up, I discovered lots of symptoms i had that were that of dyspraxia. I struggled with riding a bike and even now I won't ride one anymore. When I would ride my bike, I would wobble a little and feel like i was going to fall off. >< I forgot what the other things were but yeah. Though the bike thing could be due to the bike accident I had when i was...nine? Twelve? I forget. I suffered a mild concussion because of it though. I had a lot of head injuries as a child that I think might have caused some brain damage, especially in my development. ><

Last edited by iheartmegahitt on 30 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

I have autism, HFA as an adult, classically autistic and speech delayed as a child. Initially, I had assumed that I had typical language development, but my mother said that it was not so, so my diagnosis went from AS to autism.

I have always wondered why there was no autism diagnostic category on the community for autism and Asperger's.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I have autism, HFA as an adult, classically autistic and speech delayed as a child. Initially, I had assumed that I had typical language development, but my mother said that it was not so, so my diagnosis went from AS to autism.

I have always wondered why there was no autism diagnostic category on the community for autism and Asperger's.

Yeah, I think I was the same way. I was classically autistic as a child and speech delayed but as I got older and learned to communicate, it became HFA but some people say HFA isn't a real diagnosis and that I should get reevaluated. O_o

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jul 2012, 2:42 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Yeah, I think I was the same way. I was classically autistic as a child and speech delayed but as I got older and learned to communicate, it became HFA but some people say HFA isn't a real diagnosis and that I should get reevaluated. O_o

HFA isn't a diagnosis but it is a description of a diagnosis. Why should you get reevaluated just because of that?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:45 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

The high-functioning label often gets applied after the child learns to speak and communicate. In my case, I did become much moar high-functioning after I learned to speak and communicate. It wasn't just speech and communication that were affected. It was eberrything. All of my behaviors were affected. For eggsample, my repetitive activities turned into special interests, when my reading comprehension improved, and I started reading for the subjects instead of the sights and sounds of the words.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:00 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
iheartmegahitt wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

The high-functioning label often gets applied after the child learns to speak and communicate. In my case, I did become much moar high-functioning after I learned to speak and communicate. It wasn't just speech and communication that were affected. It was eberrything. All of my behaviors were affected. For eggsample, my repetitive activities turned into special interests, when my reading comprehension improved, and I started reading for the subjects instead of the sights and sounds of the words.

Yeah, same here. I'm considered high functioning because I can carry on and sometimes forget I even ahve it. The only times I remember I have it is when i have to socialize or when someone triggers a meltdown/outburst. I still stim a lot when I'm thinking or anxious. I have to fidget too and I have the mental age of an eight year old. I don't leave the house without my Axel plush.

So in a way, i still have classic autism traits. There are times when meeting new people that I'll go mute and use my iPad to communicate.