Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LucindaClown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

My parents used to get upset with me for have a monotone voice as a child. Especially if they misunderstood it as me being a smartalec. My mom sometimes thought I just didn't care about stuff, but it's really just that I don't express myself that much. Now that I'm older, I simply concentrate and fake having tone. That does lead to problems when it comes to acquaintances however, because they get to know me with the fake expressive voice, but if I'm tired and forget the voice, it can alienate them if they feel I'm suddenly being short with them.

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2012, 10:00 pm

People told me I had a monotone voice when I was a teen/young adult. I'm 24 now; I think putting inflection in your voice generally gets better with age, and practice -- but it is still often a conscious effort on my part. Without commenting specifically on my voice, people have also simply said things about me like: "You seem like an emotionless robot."

I don't think that having a monotone voice alone is proof you're an Aspie/Autistic, but it might be a good indicator that something's going on. I think homeschooling made mine worse because I was around others' voices less often.

operationpaperclip
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2012, 9:14 am

I learned to make inflections. Can't remember the motivation but I thought they were pretty cool. Still happy to do the monotone thing if I feel like pretending to be a robot. Beep beep.

Sparrow40k
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2013, 5:10 am

I've always hated my low boring robot monotone voice, Every one at school always makes fun of me like repeating the exact thing I just said but really emphasizing a robot voice. But for some odd reason, A lot of girls I have met just come out and randomly say I have a cute voice?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 5:08 am

I don't have a monotone voice, per se, though it is a little flat at times. It tends to be flatter when I'm tired.

In some regards, it's hard for me to say how I'd come across naturally because I tend to pick up speech habits from others quite readily.

Perhaps the most notable aspect of my voice is how nasaly it sounds.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

Ahahahaha, I just imagined myself singing everything that I say after reading this. :D

Yeah, I've been told that my voice sounds boring, monotone, and like SQUIDWARD somehow. It sometimes isn't always that way as far as I know, because when I get really excited, I think my voice is different.

Somebody has even said to me that I sound like I am never happy! That person I rarely talk to though, so I don't think that she's seen me excited.

I don't know what they want me to do, but whatever it is, I'm deciding to not do it, because they clearly know what words I am saying, so it doesn't matter.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 5:10 pm

54together wrote:
I'm autistic, and nobody seems to comment on my voice being monotone. I've recorded my voice and I didn't think it sounded monotone.

I have met many autistic people in my life, but I am yet to come across one with a monotone voice.

Yeah, everybody is different. I don't know if my voice is always monotone, but often when I listen to my voice recorder, a stutter a little, repeat things, pause a lot, sound monotone, louder than other people, sometimes super fast, sometimes slow in comparison to others, and it's just strange when I think about it, but I definitely speak differently from the people around me, also considering that I did not pick up an accent from my family or people around me.

~~~
~~~

IreneS
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2013, 7:23 pm

serenaserenaserena wrote:
Yeah, everybody is different. I don't know if my voice is always monotone, but often when I listen to my voice recorder, a stutter a little, repeat things, pause a lot, sound monotone, louder than other people, sometimes super fast, sometimes slow in comparison to others, and it's just strange when I think about it, but I definitely speak differently from the people around me, also considering that I did not pick up an accent from my family or people around me.

That difference in velocity can have something to do with ADHD, I´ve read. I tend switch speed as well. All of a sudden I begin to speak very fast and without pauses, and then, nothing (just awkwardness).

My voice have been more monotone before, I think, but what I had more problem with was the volume. It´s gotten better but I still begin to speak too loud sometimes, it takes a while for me to be able to control the volume, not always but on occasion. I can sound really angry without being it because of that. When I was younger it was worse, so it seems that these things can improve a lot with age. Maybe singing has helped me, it has helped in a lot of other areas at least.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

I am known for speaking very loudly and or yelling when I talk. It is that more than anything else like the monotone part.

I think that I do remember my counselor discussing the volume and speed of my voice being related to ADHD.

~~~
~~~

anonymoussun
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2013, 10:22 pm

I have a monotone voice that people often times confuse it with me having an accent instead. As a result of that some times people will ask me where I'm from.

anonymoussun

23 Oct 2013, 10:23 pm

I have a monotone voice that people often times confuse it with me having an accent instead. As a result of that some times people will ask me where I'm from.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 8:57 am

anonymoussun wrote:

interesting, that happens to me too.