How do they diagnose Aspergers in adults?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

doilikelobster
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

Hi!

I suspect I have aspergers, and got an appointment for a diagnosis. I have prepared a short essay describing what makes me think I have it (stimming, my "special interests"...), but I was wondering how the interview itself will take place.

What did they do to figure out you had aspergers? How many appointments did it take? Did they ask you questions similar to the ones that are in the various online tests? Did you pass an IQ test? Did they also ask you to bring your school grades/old drawings?

Thanks and have a nice day! :)

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2012, 4:50 pm

But, but, that way you won't have a surprise!

doilikelobster
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

I want to be prepared :P

LittleDarwin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

I just started the process, and for me the first appointment was more focused on generalities than AS specific. She also had me take a 500+ question test that is used for general personality diagnosis. Basically it was a very low stress chat session. It sounds like you are more prepared than you need to be. :D

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

doilikelobster
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2012, 3:18 am

thanks!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 5:29 am

doilikelobster wrote:
Hi!

I suspect I have aspergers, and got an appointment for a diagnosis. I have prepared a short essay describing what makes me think I have it (stimming, my "special interests"...), but I was wondering how the interview itself will take place.

What did they do to figure out you had aspergers? How many appointments did it take? Did they ask you questions similar to the ones that are in the various online tests? Did you pass an IQ test? Did they also ask you to bring your school grades/old drawings?

Thanks and have a nice day! :)

I'm in the UK so I don't know if this is the same wherever you are. Over here, there is currently no uniform method of assessment between health authorities, something that is due to be changed by new guidelines. Some people get tested, others just get interviewed. Maybe in other countries this isn't the case and it's done the same country-wide. The best way to find out if you're not sure, is to contact either your local health authority or the actual people you will be seeing. You could say that you're anxious and just want to know so that you can put your mind at rest.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2012, 5:45 am

Go a psychiatrist. I did and she diagnosed me officially. She just went through heaps of questions with me. And I easily passed online tests XD

doilikelobster
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2012, 8:19 am

Thanks! Is it very different from the online tests? (such as the one with 150 questions)

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

No worries :) Hmmmm well I don't think there were 150 questions. Basically, there were guidelines, and you have to meet these certain factors to have Aspergers. She asked me certain questions that ummm....well these questions are generally open ones where you need to talk for a bit. They can be similar to online. The best thing to do, is to look up the symptoms, and try to see if you fit them all. Type it up if you need to :)

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2012, 6:51 pm

What to do if i cant choose between answers in online tests?

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2012, 6:53 pm

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

ronpl wrote:

Pick the answer that fits you the best. Everyone has a few questions like that, the odd question to which you give an unsure answer is not going to make a significant different to your scores.

Jason.

doilikelobster
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

thank you zxy8! :)

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2012, 7:04 pm

doilikelobster wrote:
thank you zxy8! :)

No worries :)

And to the other person who had difficulty choosing some answers online, I was the same. I often think about how each question can be broken down, and how depending on certain variables, the answer could be different XD