Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

11 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm

The question in the subject heading is a rhetorical one. Jonas Savimbi was one of the lowest forms of life that ever walked the African continent. He murdered >500,000 people and destroyed his countries infrastructure in the hopes of becoming a decrepit, thug dictator of a 3rd world country. At the time of independence from Portugal, Angola had it all.........Until Savimbi and his goons kicked off one of Africa's worst post-colonial wars with the aid of the (now defunct)reich of South Africa and the USofA under Regan(anti-communist BS). The more I see what Angola was like before the war, and the more I see photos of the destruction left behind, I just feel so angry at what was done to that country, and it really makes me despise South Africa. Funny enough, the SADF blitzkrieg in the 80s came to halt at Cuito Cuanavale when they suffered their first and most thoroughly humiliating defeat there.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 11:57 am

Cuba is celebrated in South Africa for what it did to Apartheid at Cuito Cuanavale...

As for Savimbi, this was a case where his death ended the war. That is telling.

12 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Cuba is celebrated in South Africa for what it did to Apartheid at Cuito Cuanavale...

As for Savimbi, this was a case where his death ended the war. That is telling.

As it turns out, the final victory @ Cuito Cuanavale was the sole work of the Angolan MPLA. Following that battle, the SADF made 5 more attacks against Angolan positions......All 5 attacks were repulsed. I think that likening the battles of Cuito Cuanavale to Stalingrad is a fair comparison. That battle finally put a permanent end to South Africa's 9 year blitzkrieg in southern Africa.

Tis a shame that all those former SADF soldiers involved in the Angolan war aren't being forced to return to Angola unarmed and get rid of all those landmines they laid there. Stupid boers!