What is the weirdest special interest you've had?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Moriath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2012, 9:09 pm

Ww2. Ww1.

Guns and weapons

Computers

Anything I am thinking of buying. Pc, stereo, tv, etc etc. researched to bits.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Iroquois wardrobe. They were very distinctive and enjoyed "recycling" European clothes.

And it's not productive because I don't have the purpose to open an "Iroquois Fashion Shop".

It's my last "hiperspecific" special interest.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 12:14 pm

Bubbles137 wrote:
Atm it's running which is kind of good since it helps with stress and anxiety. My 'main' interest is fairy tales which I've had since I was little and that's useful coz it helped with my uni work. A lot of people think it's weird though because I'm 25.

Running? How does that work?

As for me, not sure I have them any more. Nothing like I had when I was a kid.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

coolies wrote:
The serial killer interest is probably the 'weirdest' interest I have. I currently have over 200 true crime/serial killer books, I generally only tell my certain people about this interest as some people find it quite odd.

Good idea.

Adamd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm

Technology that came from ww2 and old industrial building are probably the oddest. Curnetly been about organizing the shop and Tig welding. Its really hard for me to organize any thing because I get hung up in the small details and get over whelmed. I have many instrest because I have inventive add possibly as. Been working with my counseler diff have some as.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:24 pm

I spell backwards - everything I say, and fast - and I do some other weird things with language - I think it's neat - but man, do people get choked. Outside of the aforementioned that seems to serve to annoy everyone but me - I do have a constructive use for my language obsession in my studies. I just love how language is structured - I can see it.

abt1019
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Aside from changing my major every semester based on what classes I'm currently taking, my strangest obsession as a child would be frogs. Stuffed frogs, frog photos, frog pajamas, frog socks, frog shirts, even my bedroom was lilypad green... As I got older it turned into music, and then into Leopard Geckos. I bred hundred of leopard geckos. I had an entire room full of rack systems, I was on online communities, I knew all of their genetics, color patterns, morphs, I could tell an albino strain by it's eye color (most would have to test breed). One day my favorite gecko died, and over the course of a couple months I sold all of my geckos, supplies, rack systems, heating, everything. Currently it's cats. My spare room is now dubbed the "kitten" room (previously the "reptile" room). I take in bottle baby kittens, anywhere from 1-5 kittens at a time, and raise them until they're 14 weeks. Once they're 14 weeks I place them up for adoption with a holistic cat rescue. While volunteering with them I've gained an interest in everything cats. I know their nutritional profiles, common illnesses and treatments, etc. My own cats are fed a frankenprey model raw diet, which I did intensive research on.

Strangest interest, I can't say which one wins the title. At the time they were important they were definitely not strange to me. I'm just blessed my fiance loves me and my brain. As he says when I get stuck in a motion or hyper-focus on a topic in conversation with people... "Sweetie, your autism is showing.". My how I love that man!

Jeanna

11 Sep 2012, 7:31 am

My weirdest obsession ever probably has to be fish diseases. No one was very pleased when I was into fish diseases. I still am, but I don't talk about it to people anymore. No one cares and they just get disgusted.

Other than that, there's also eyeballs. I've been obsessed with eyeballs since I picked up a science magazine at age 6. People put up with this till I got older and wasn't cute anymore, and then they promptly told me it was in bad taste to talk about eyeballs at the dinner table.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Jeanna wrote:
My weirdest obsession ever probably has to be fish diseases. No one was very pleased when I was into fish diseases. I still am, but I don't talk about it to people anymore. No one cares and they just get disgusted.

Other than that, there's also eyeballs. I've been obsessed with eyeballs since I picked up a science magazine at age 6. People put up with this till I got older and wasn't cute anymore, and then they promptly told me it was in bad taste to talk about eyeballs at the dinner table.

In the 7th grade I had to write my first research paper. We could pick the topic of our choice. My paper was titled "Common Diseases of the Horses Hoof".

Although I didn't know it then, that turned out to be a brilliant decision. Not knowing anything about diseases of the horses hoof, all the teacher could grade it on was grammar. Those who wrote about subjects the teacher was familiar with were graded on both grammar and the subject matter.