Page 15 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

poor people in western world become fat through poor nutrition and addiction to junk food and soda.
poor people in non-western countries have limited access to food and many of them die from starvation.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Yeah, what he's saying is, for the chips, it's like 3.50ish for the biggest or bigger size bag. Which I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/Doritos-Tortilla- ... B002P16EN4 Speaking of Doritos, remember Doritos 3D? Those things were the best!

Yeah, I'm not sure how a specific type and size of junk food being sold for a comparable price to ANOTHER subsidized and relatively calorie-dense food is related to the caloric density of cheap vs. expensive foods, that being the topic.

1000Knives wrote:
As much as I believe produce is good for you and needed in the diet, people in the former Soviet countries weren't fat (though they were alcoholics.) They didn't get lots of fancy vegetables and stuff. Only potatoes, cabbage, the basics. I remember reading a girl in East Germany's article about her experience in East Germany as a kid, she said they only had bananas once a year. So life was much harder and people much poorer in those conditions, but the reason they didn't all get huge was because they cooked their food from scratch. That I think is the key to everything. Cooked food from scratch, and oddly, the Soviet government actually banned microwave ovens due to safety. Ironic... So no microwaves either. Yeah...

I dunno what a "fancy" vegetable is. All the things you named- potatoes, cabbage, and bananas- ARE produce, and they are extremely LOW-CALORIE compared to the foods cheapest in modern Western food deserts, which further illustrates the point. They are not, unlike dairy, wheat, corn, meat, etc, artificially-subsidized. They also don't have to be cooked at all.

Potatoes and cabbage are like 39c a pound.

LOL we'd save a lot of money if that was the case at stores here. :lol:

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Yeah, what he's saying is, for the chips, it's like 3.50ish for the biggest or bigger size bag. Which I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/Doritos-Tortilla- ... B002P16EN4 Speaking of Doritos, remember Doritos 3D? Those things were the best!

Yeah, I'm not sure how a specific type and size of junk food being sold for a comparable price to ANOTHER subsidized and relatively calorie-dense food is related to the caloric density of cheap vs. expensive foods, that being the topic.

1000Knives wrote:
As much as I believe produce is good for you and needed in the diet, people in the former Soviet countries weren't fat (though they were alcoholics.) They didn't get lots of fancy vegetables and stuff. Only potatoes, cabbage, the basics. I remember reading a girl in East Germany's article about her experience in East Germany as a kid, she said they only had bananas once a year. So life was much harder and people much poorer in those conditions, but the reason they didn't all get huge was because they cooked their food from scratch. That I think is the key to everything. Cooked food from scratch, and oddly, the Soviet government actually banned microwave ovens due to safety. Ironic... So no microwaves either. Yeah...

I dunno what a "fancy" vegetable is. All the things you named- potatoes, cabbage, and bananas- ARE produce, and they are extremely LOW-CALORIE compared to the foods cheapest in modern Western food deserts, which further illustrates the point. They are not, unlike dairy, wheat, corn, meat, etc, artificially-subsidized. They also don't have to be cooked at all.

Potatoes and cabbage are like 39c a pound.

LOL we'd save a lot of money if that was the case at stores here. :lol:

www.pocketyourdollars.com/2012/09/aldi- ... 916-92212/

Check it out.

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2012, 8:47 pm

Healthy foods like potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, etc are cheap and readily available.
Cheap unhealthy junk food are well marketed and targeted at poor/low socio-economic status people.