Page 14 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:03 pm

Kurgan wrote:

I never said poor people had it just as easy as rich people,

No, you didn't, but the difference remains the POINT as per the thread topic.

Kurgan wrote:
but nobody is forcing them to be unhealthy still. You cannot get fat without eating more calories than you need.

Force isn't always a gun.

You've already admitted the poor people face more obstacles than do rich people (relevant)
so what place has your finger waggling (not-relevant) here?

to his Interest."

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Force in this case means making someone do something they do not want and taking away any other option.

Quote:
You've already admitted the poor people face more obstacles than do rich people (relevant)

[/quote]

That having a little more obstacles doesn't mean that they have to be fat. They still have themselves to blame.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Force in this case means making someone do something they do not want and taking away any other option.

According to Kurgan?
Kurgan wrote:
Quote:

That having a little more obstacles doesn't mean that they have to be fat. They still have themselves to blame.

You quoted it, but continued your drivel, so I'll ask again:

to his Interest."

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

According to Kurgan?
Kurgan wrote:
Quote:

That it's still fairly easy for them to not get fat. Driving a car with a manual transmission is harder than driving a car with an automatic transmission, but most people still manage to drive a car with the former (at least in Europe).

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

According to Kurgan?
Kurgan wrote:
Quote:

That it's still fairly easy for them to not get fat. Driving a car with a manual transmission is harder than driving a car with an automatic transmission, but most people still manage to drive a car with the former (at least in Europe).

So, again, regardless of your subjective notions of what constitutes easy and who has it easy,
you admit poor people have it LESS-easy than do others

That's the thread topic.

So, for the third time, why are you still commenting with irrelevant BS?

to his Interest."

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

According to Kurgan?
Kurgan wrote:
Quote:

So, again, regardless of your subjective notions of what constitutes easy and who has it easy,
you admit poor people have it LESS-easy than do others

That's the thread topic.

So, for the third time, why are you still commenting with irrelevant BS?

It's not irrelevant. Slightly less easy is still easy—and obese, but poor people are still responsible for their own weight issues! There's still the question of why they choose that lifestyle, most likely due to the fact that lack of dicipline, failure to plan ahead and so on in one aspect of life indicates similar problems in other aspects as well.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 9:38 pm

Kurgan wrote:

It's not irrelevant. Slightly less easy is still easy—and obese, but poor people are still responsible for their own weight issues! There's still the question of why they choose that lifestyle, most likely due to the fact that lack of dicipline, failure to plan ahead and so on in one aspect of life indicates similar problems in other aspects as well.

The DIFFERENCES faced by poor and richer people (which you've already admitted exist) is the THREAD TOPIC, not your fat-shaming.

Do you understand this?

to his Interest."

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

Im poor and Im not fat. it'spoor eating habit. Look chicken package at target is 7 dollar. That quit alot. But two bags of chips are 7 dollar.
so instead of buying two bags of chips buy the chicken.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:10 am

billiscool wrote:
Im poor and Im not fat. it'spoor eating habit. Look chicken package at target is 7 dollar. That quit alot. But two bags of chips are 7 dollar.

Where the hell do you live where two bags of chips cost seven bucks and big box store packaged meat is considered healthy?

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:17 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
billiscool wrote:

Where the hell do you live where two bags of chips cost seven bucks and big box store packaged meat is considered healthy?

Doritos. Any name brand chip big bag.

And while frozen chicken breasts from Target probably are not free range organic chickens, they're significantly more healthy than potato chips. And personally, I like chicken and consider it quite healthy as part of a balanced diet.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:27 am

1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
billiscool wrote:

And while frozen chicken breasts from Target probably are not free range organic chickens, they're significantly more healthy than potato chips. And personally, I like chicken and consider it quite healthy as part of a balanced diet.

"Name brand". Gotcha.
Big bags of chips are at every gas station I've been to for a dollar, and I've even seen fifty cents. :o
Seven dollars would buy seven value meal items at my local McDonald's.
Sure, chicken can be healthy, but I'm pretty sure the relevant foods would be vegetables and fruits, given their caloric comparison and lack of subsidization.
Groceries by definition wouldn't be found in a food desert, or the food in them would be more expensive than fast-food or convenience options.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 7:37 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
billiscool wrote:

"Name brand". Gotcha.
Big bags of chips are at every gas station I've been to for a dollar, and I've even seen fifty cents. :o
Seven dollars would buy seven value meal items at my local McDonald's.
Sure, chicken can be healthy, but I'm pretty sure the relevant foods would be vegetables and fruits, given their caloric comparison and lack of subsidization.
Groceries by definition wouldn't be found in a food desert, or the food in them would be more expensive than fast-food or convenience options.

Yeah, what he's saying is, for the chips, it's like 3.50ish for the biggest or bigger size bag. Which I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/Doritos-Tortilla- ... B002P16EN4 Speaking of Doritos, remember Doritos 3D? Those things were the best!

It depends. My aunt lived in a city that was fairly "hood" and it had plenty of grocery stores. I understand the situation of Detroit and cities like that, but in Detroit, getting groceries certainly isn't the only problem they got there, things like safety, high murder rate, etc, lack of grocery stores just comes with the territory at this point. If your city's murder rate is like 60/100K, then you got bigger problems than grocery stores. With my aunt, though, I've shopped with her a gazillion times, and all the poor (people with food stamps) usually buy is junk food and soda. The store is fully stocked, it's a "Ghetto" grocery store (Save-A-Lot, like Aldis but way worse) but it has veggies, fruits, and meat, at prices comparable to any other store, or usually cheaper (though Price Rite is the ghetto grocery store I shop at, Price Rite and Aldis are about tied as far as stores here.) The only people I ever saw buying veggies and food that was overall useful also didn't speak English (likely 1st gens here.)

As much as I believe produce is good for you and needed in the diet, people in the former Soviet countries weren't fat (though they were alcoholics.) They didn't get lots of fancy vegetables and stuff. Only potatoes, cabbage, the basics. I remember reading a girl in East Germany's article about her experience in East Germany as a kid, she said they only had bananas once a year. So life was much harder and people much poorer in those conditions, but the reason they didn't all get huge was because they cooked their food from scratch. That I think is the key to everything. Cooked food from scratch, and oddly, the Soviet government actually banned microwave ovens due to safety. Ironic... So no microwaves either. Yeah...

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:11 pm

1000Knives wrote:

Yeah, what he's saying is, for the chips, it's like 3.50ish for the biggest or bigger size bag. Which I've seen. http://www.amazon.com/Doritos-Tortilla- ... B002P16EN4 Speaking of Doritos, remember Doritos 3D? Those things were the best!

Yeah, I'm not sure how a specific type and size of junk food being sold for a comparable price to ANOTHER subsidized and relatively calorie-dense food is related to the caloric density of cheap vs. expensive foods, that being the topic.

1000Knives wrote:
As much as I believe produce is good for you and needed in the diet, people in the former Soviet countries weren't fat (though they were alcoholics.) They didn't get lots of fancy vegetables and stuff. Only potatoes, cabbage, the basics. I remember reading a girl in East Germany's article about her experience in East Germany as a kid, she said they only had bananas once a year. So life was much harder and people much poorer in those conditions, but the reason they didn't all get huge was because they cooked their food from scratch. That I think is the key to everything. Cooked food from scratch, and oddly, the Soviet government actually banned microwave ovens due to safety. Ironic... So no microwaves either. Yeah...

I dunno what a "fancy" vegetable is. All the things you named- potatoes, cabbage, and bananas- ARE produce, and they are extremely LOW-CALORIE compared to the foods cheapest in modern Western food deserts, which further illustrates the point. They are not, unlike dairy, wheat, corn, meat, etc, artificially-subsidized. They also don't have to be cooked at all.

to his Interest."

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure how a specific type and size of junk food being sold for a comparable price to ANOTHER subsidized and relatively calorie-dense food is related to the caloric density of cheap vs. expensive foods, that being the topic.

1000Knives wrote:

I dunno what a "fancy" vegetable is. All the things you named- potatoes, cabbage, and bananas- ARE produce, and they are extremely LOW-CALORIE compared to the foods cheapest in modern Western food deserts, which further illustrates the point. They are not, unlike dairy, wheat, corn, meat, etc, artificially-subsidized. They also don't have to be cooked at all.

Potatoes and cabbage are like 39c a pound.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 9:43 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Quote:

That having a little more obstacles doesn't mean that they have to be fat. They still have themselves to blame.[/quote]

Sorry, this post has nothing to do with the thread, but I just noticed your custom title, and I had to ask, how does one hunt shadows?

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

poor people in western world become fat through poor nutrition and addiction to junk food and soda.
poor people in non-western countries have limited access to food and many of them die from starvation.