Things about which you have Encyclopædic knowledge

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:59 am

Otherwise known as aspie obsessions. That is a very negative view of autism.

In my case it is - different types of musics from around the world. Although now it is useless, because wikipedia volunteers keep updating every music article with the latest changes. One person can never keep up with that :).

How do NTs do that?

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

They're not always negative, I hope to be-able to use my knowledge of genetics, evolution, and natural selection to get a job, which I'll actually enjoy in the future :).
I've never been obsessed with anything, for long enough, to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject, well, maybe a kids encyclopaedia, but that's it :P.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 9:24 am

Hmm, I expected a little more participation on this thread. Now what could be the reason for lack of replies? :scratch:

How do NTs do that?

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 12:05 am

Maybe encyclopædic knowledge isn't that common with aspies/auties
or people don't want to expose their most obsessive hobbies

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Sep 2012, 7:14 am

I know a lot about sports, sports uniforms. Does that count?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2012, 3:58 am

I know tones about Arthurian Legend.

But I think I just pick up little facts that stick in my head because they're interesting (slugs have four noses, a month beginning on Sunday will have Friday the 13th etc.) and that seems to be common with AS.

Also the ability to recite a lot of information.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Cars. I can name every make and model (along with all of the available engine and tranny combos) sold here over the last 20 years or so. And most of the older stuff too.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

Maybe the reason for lack of replies is that we don't tend to think we have encyclopedic knowledge, we're more self-critical than that and realize there's always more to learn. I've been told by others that I seem to have encyclopedic knowledge about things that I know I don't. I'm just interested and always learning more about them.

In fact, that's what I love about my areas of interest, that there's so much to keep learning. If I ever learned everything about a subject I'd likely get bored and move on. Hasn't happened yet, because that's not the kind of interest that's likely to intrigue me.

Vatnos
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

I'm somewhat obsessed with mountains. I know nearly everything there is to know about the Appalachians near me, as well as the north american cordillera (rockies, cascades, sierra nevada), the various European ranges, the rate of survival and the elevations of all of the Himalayas. All the state high points as well as high points in many countries. The altitudes that the treeline occurs in various locations. The relative ages of each of the ranges.

I think people might be reluctant to talk about their interests because they're self-critical. The more you know about something, the more you're aware of what you don't know about that subject, so the perception of your knowledge in the area stays constant.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:45 am

equestriatola wrote:
I know a lot about sports, sports uniforms. Does that count?

Yup, it counts. But can you tell us a little bit more, like with examples or something?

How do NTs do that?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:47 am

Aoibh wrote:

But I think I just pick up little facts that stick in my head because they're interesting (slugs have four noses, a month beginning on Sunday will have Friday the 13th etc.) and that seems to be common with AS.

I know nothing about the Arthurian legend, and I've always been curious. Can you point me in the right direction, like where should one start?

How do NTs do that?

Last edited by Dhawal on 29 Oct 2012, 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:49 am

mds_02 wrote:
Cars. I can name every make and model (along with all of the available engine and tranny combos) sold here over the last 20 years or so. And most of the older stuff too.

Now that's a dude that would be handy to have around!

How do NTs do that?

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 12:57 am

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Maybe the reason for lack of replies is that we don't tend to think we have encyclopedic knowledge, we're more self-critical than that and realize there's always more to learn. I've been told by others that I seem to have encyclopedic knowledge about things that I know I don't. I'm just interested and always learning more about them.

In fact, that's what I love about my areas of interest, that there's so much to keep learning. If I ever learned everything about a subject I'd likely get bored and move on. Hasn't happened yet, because that's not the kind of interest that's likely to intrigue me.

Pardon me for checking your profile, I was curious as to what your interests were. I'm a little bit into psychology, but in as non-technical a way as possible (without being pop-psychology).

How do NTs do that?

Last edited by Dhawal on 29 Oct 2012, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 1:02 am

Vatnos wrote:
I'm somewhat obsessed with mountains. I know nearly everything there is to know about the Appalachians near me, as well as the north american cordillera (rockies, cascades, sierra nevada), the various European ranges, the rate of survival and the elevations of all of the Himalayas. All the state high points as well as high points in many countries. The altitudes that the treeline occurs in various locations. The relative ages of each of the ranges.

I think people might be reluctant to talk about their interests because they're self-critical. The more you know about something, the more you're aware of what you don't know about that subject, so the perception of your knowledge in the area stays constant.

After seeing your reply, I tried to check what the highest peak in India is. I'm really not able to ascertain that, because some Himalayan peaks are on India-Nepal border, and some are within the territory controlled by Pakistan.

How do NTs do that?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 4:17 am

I'm obsessed with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton movies, particularly the ones that they've done as a team. They have done 8 movies together but the focus of my interest is on 4 of them in particular (Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd). I know a lot of trivia, for example that Johnny Depp had to run behind a house and puke during the Edward Scissorhands mob scene because he overheated in his leather costume, and that he tried his Willy Wonka voice on his daughter Lily-Rose to see if she would like it before deciding to use it in the movie, and that he wanted the Mad Hatter to have a gap in his teeth as tribute to his (now former) partner Vanessa Paradis, and that he had to have a spring-loaded mechanism put on his razor in Sweeney Todd because he couldn't get the razor to flip open normally... Really, I could go on for hours... :D

I have a couple of other interests, but I'm too tired to talk about them at the moment, so I will come back later after I get some rest.

Aoibh

29 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

Dhawal wrote:
Aoibh wrote:

I know nothing about the Arthurian legend, and I've always been curious. Can you point me in the right direction, like where should one start?

Ooh, I think starting at T H White's "The Sword in the Stone" is good, just to get a basic foundation. Other than that "Le Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory, if you can understand the Olde English way of writing! To be honest, there are so many places to start that I can't point to one. It's such a huge subject and covers such a vast amount of stories, good luck is all I can say! (: